Crysis 2 Writer: Halo is "Full of Bullsh*t"

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well he seems to be on a crusade. MW2 and now Halo.

And although I agree with him on what he says, just dels like he is blowing smoke out his backside now and making himself seem superior.

I mean... Crysis isn't a modern masterpiece either of writing and plot...

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
Andraste said:
JeanLuc761 said:
Irridium said:
Crysis 2's story better be fucking fantastic.

Otherwise he will be the biggest laughing stock in gaming. Next to Ubisoft.
I'll reiterate what I said above. Why should his opinion be valid only if his own writing is good?
An interesting question. It's because of the subtext involved.

If it were me or you (assuming you aren't a game writer!) or Andy saying "these stories are for the suck!!1" it's an amateur's opinion. We don't have a true idea of what it means to write a great game, we can only subjectively say we don't like it. Valid opinions because everyone's opinion is valid, however un-/informed.

Because he's a professional in that field, we label him as informed and perhaps even expert, and assume he knows what he's doing. Taking that assumption further, if he knows what makes a good game, if he knows what he's doing, then he will natch deliver said good game. If he doesn't ... well, he looks kinda like an idiot because either: a) He doesn't actually know what he's talking about or b) He does, but chose not to do it. Either way, lulz.

At least that's my thought process. Thanks for making me go through the mental exercise of that.
Fair enough, I can understand that. I may not fully agree with the idea that "Well he's a professional, therefore his work better be better than what he's criticizing", but the thought process behind that very natural assumption makes sense.

*shakes hands for the civil response*

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
JeanLuc761 said:
Maybe I'm just looking at this different. Let's take me for example: I'm not a published writer, and while I think I'm good, I know I need improvement. Does that make my opinion on someone else's writing less valid because my own writing isn't up to snuff?
No, but you are not publicly calling out another writer a few months prior to your own work being published.

Everyone has the right to an opinion, but if you are going to insult (not criticise) someone's else's hard work then it's a good idea to make sure yours is better first.

The writer of Mass Effect 2 for example would be well within his/hers rights because it is already widely known as a game with amazing writing. Crysis 2 is yet to prove itself.

He can say what he likes, but if he can't do better then he shouldn't expect to be taken too seriously.

Or for an answer that is worded much better:

Andraste said:
An interesting question. It's because of the subtext involved.

If it were me or you (assuming you aren't a game writer!) or Andy saying "these stories are for the suck!!1" it's an amateur's opinion. We don't have a true idea of what it means to write a great game, we can only subjectively say we don't like it. Valid opinions because everyone's opinion is valid, however un-/informed.

Because he's a professional in that field, we label him as informed and perhaps even expert, and assume he knows what he's doing. Taking that assumption further, if he knows what makes a good game, if he knows what he's doing, then he will natch deliver said good game. If he doesn't ... well, he looks kinda like an idiot because either: a) He doesn't actually know what he's talking about or b) He does, but chose not to do it. Either way, lulz.

At least that's my thought process. Thanks for making me go through the mental exercise of that.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
JeanLuc761 said:
The difference between Mass Effect and Halo/Gears of War/MW2 is that ME has really GOOD writing.

Not sure where you were going with that ;)
We're trying to force this meme to gain momentum. (Mementum?)

Crysis 2 Writer thinks Dante's Inferno needed more graphic nudity.

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
Jaredin said:

And although I agree with him on what he says, just dels like he is blowing smoke out his backside now and making himself seem superior.

In fairness, this guy didn't write Crysis, he's just responsible for Crysis 2.

namewon'tfitin

Nov 20, 2009
Joining the fun train:

At least 100 years ago:" LOL ! Half-Life 2 has too many chaotic firefights to actualy get into the story , I meahn liek dood."
And I agree that the story is somewhat boring and quite the fps stereotype of "buff spaehs mareenz",but he never bothered checking out some of the books that explained some of the backstory,ironicaly,he beeing a wrighter himself.

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
Oh shit hey guys look at this! He ripping on Halo! He must be sophisticated, or something.

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
JeanLuc761 said:
Jaredin said:

In fairness, this guy didn't write Crysis, he's just responsible for Crysis 2.
Yes, but if you're writing for a company that is renown for very pretty sandboxes with either no story or a very, very bad story stuck on, it'd be best to write a good story and prove it than just insult related games.

MatsVS

Tea & Grief
Nov 9, 2009
oliveira8 said:
Oh that Richard Morgan...The same ass that said that LotR could be improved by having Denethor hacking orcs like a madman.

Yes. This guy is just two steps of being Goodkind hack type. Time to ignore him.
Are you referring to the article he wrote for suvudu to market his own book, The Steel Remains? (this: http://www.suvudu.com/2009/02/the-real-fantastic-stuff-an-essay-by-richard-k-morgan.html)

If so, there is nothing in that article nor the following comments that seem anything even approaching Goodkind-levels of stupid, even if I don't agree with everything he says. Honestly, that's a really mean thing to say. :p

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
I'm just gonna reiterate what I said in another thread regarding this exact situation.

-Seraph- said:
Well...I agree with him to an extent. Aside from the Arbiter, I'm with him when it comes to characters. He didn't really bash Halo as a whole like most people are assuming, he mainly criticized the characters and I can't really argue that.

Also people gotta stop with the "pfft, Crysis' story wasn't much better", HE DIDN'T WRITE THE FIRST GAME!! Therefore you cannot criticize him on that front because it's completely invalid criticism. I'm sure he didn't think highly of Crysis 1's story either, and if asked on his opinion of it, I'm sure he'd bash it as well.

Crysis' story wasn't great, but it was functional and told you all you really needed to know, and was left open and broad enough for later development.The second game now has opportunity to further develop on the characters and story that the first one failed to do. This has the potential to do what Half life 1 to Half life 2 did (or other dramatically improved sequels), go from a game with a simplistic story, to a sequel that is far more deep and engaging than the first.

The way I see it, by Crytek hiring a professional writer for their sequel, they have acknowledged that the story of the first game just didn't cut it, and they want to do it right this time around. They have a concept, and now they want to tap into its potential by using some who is actually skilled at crafting stories and i say smart move Crytek.

Now I'm not supporting this guys slagging of other game stories, but hey if he was asked of his opinion on them then I see no foul in expressing it. I'd rather hear a blunt statement than someone trying to be polite in order to not offend the easily angered gamer community.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
-Seraph- said:
The way I see it, by Crytek hiring a professional writer for their sequel, they have acknowledged that the story of the first game just didn't cut it, and they want to do it right this time around. They have a concept, and now they want to tap into its potential by using some who is actually skilled at crafting stories and i say smart move Crytek.
A professional writer from a different medium. You don't hire a plumber to repair your air conditioner.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008

Richard Morgan is writing Crysis 2!!!

OH fuKKIN YEEEEAAASSS!!! Insta buy!

(huge Altered Carbon fanboy)

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
JEBWrench said:
-Seraph- said:
A professional writer from a different medium. You don't hire a plumber to repair your air conditioner.
It's still someone who is skilled in crafting a story, someone who is experienced in developing setting, tone, and characters. Regardless if he writes movies, TV, or books, it's still a big step up from what the gaming industry has to offer. Like I said, by hiring someone who is considered an acclaimed novelist, it at least means that there is potential for good writing and a game story (let alone FPS story) that is above the average of what we are used to seeing.

Besides we don't know how closely he is involved with the rest of the development team. He could be helping out in the art design and making sure it closely resembles that of what he intends, the same goes for dialogue. If you have a good enough team working with that writer, then what medium the writer came from doesn't matter.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
MatsVS said:
oliveira8 said:
Oh that Richard Morgan...The same ass that said that LotR could be improved by having Denethor hacking orcs like a madman.

Yes. This guy is just two steps of being Goodkind hack type. Time to ignore him.
Are you referring to the article he wrote for suvudu to market his own book, The Steel Remains? (this: http://www.suvudu.com/2009/02/the-real-fantastic-stuff-an-essay-by-richard-k-morgan.html)

If so, there is nothing in that article nor the following comments that seem anything even approaching Goodkind-levels of stupid, even if I don't agree with everything he says. Honestly, that's a really mean thing to say. :p
That's why I said two steps away. ^^He is slowing reaching there. The guy writes a article berating LotR then closes by saying:
"I don't know how people can read that stuff...but you can buy my book which is way cooler and mature, adult and all that stuff."

Even if you are joking that is a crap comment to make. And it isn't to far from "I don't write fantasy novels I write BRAIN FOOD!" Goodkind delusions.

Triangulon

Nov 20, 2009
I completely agree with him. Good author. However videogame writing is very different to novel writing. Thats not to say Crysis 2 won't have an awesome story, but the two are different beasts. I completely disagree with those of you saying he is simply bashing the opposition. He is entitled to his frank opinion and as an industry figure he will be quoted as such. If the story for Crysis 2 does suck, he will still be right, he will just have created that which he despises.

On the subject of Halo. It did have some atmosphere at times but atmosphere does not equal story. It does however show which of the two is most vital for a videogame. One must have atmosphere to be an ok game (eg. Halo, MW). Story makes it special (eg. HL, KOTOR).