Crysis 2 Writer: Halo is "Full of Bullsh*t"

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
madbird-valiant said:
Starke said:
madbird-valiant said:
The man is a genius though, and quite possibly certifiable.
Possibly in the same way that Hitler was a genius, I'll grant you that.
Hitler wasn't a genius. He surrounded himself with smart people, yes, but he, himself. Not so much. He was militarily incompetent and whenever he was directly involved in the operational level of combat things went sideways fast.

What the Nazis got right, militarily, in 1937: they were the best trained, most disciplined, and best equipped force in Europe with some incredibly brilliant minds in their upper echelons. So, I say this without irony, thank fucking god Hitler was incompetent.

In order to prevent a military coup he feared, he put his command staff in direct competition with one another. He opposed the introduction of assault rifles, instead favoring the Walther MP SMGs. Because we all know how fantastic 9x19 is on the battlefield instead of 7.62.[footnote]Yes, the early assault rifles are technically battle rifles today, I know.[/footnote] He shut down their nuclear program. Oh, yes, and he invaded Russia. A feat that's gone well for precisely no one since the Vikings.
madbird-valiant said:
Starke said:
As I recall Silent Hill pulls about 3 of these. Another one that comes to mind is some random crap you have to syphen out of a gas tank. You have to use it at the right time or or you'll miss out on the best ending, and you only have one shot to make it work.

But, no, that was something different. STALKER tells you what you need to do to get the best ending, it just doesn't move the quest marker to follow until you tell it to.
Yeah, you have to fling it on Cybil while she's going all shadowdarknessy. No hints to do so. Goddamn Japanese.
Where as, instead, the goddamn Ukrainians told you to do this to get a good ending. They just didn't turn the arrow on automatically.
madbird-valiant said:
Starke said:
Yeah, and that's a different issue entirely, does a game appeal to you? For me Two Worlds went from being passable to really addictive when I realized I could stack items, but that was just me... the more I played it the more undocumented features I found, and the more fun I had screwing around and seeing what happened.
The thing I think I didn't like most about Two Worlds was how it was so... open. I know that's a stupid thing to complain about, but if you take Oblivion to be Two Worlds' nemesis, then Oblivion gives you an objective, tells you how important this objective is in relation to the story and such, a clear location for that objective, and a nice big map showing you how to get there. Two Worlds gives you an objective, vaguely points you in the right direction, and then leaves you to twist in the wind. I like my games to be open, just within some boundaries.
Yeah, see the point of Two Worlds is, it doesn't really have limits. Same with Gothic/Risen. It also never really says, "here's all the features of the game," instead it says "go out there, experiment, and die a lot, we'll be waiting." I much prefer the latter because it offers more perceptual freedom.
madbird-valiant said:
Starke said:
And Neverwinter Nights, and Jade Empire, and even to an extent Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2, for me. The feel of the games starts to bleed together over time. A lot of it's because it's the same characters in the same situations over and over again.

This is not a hallmark of good writing.
Despite this I manage to genuinely feel for the characters each and every time. Well, except for KOTOR, Bastila was such a plank of wood. I lend myself to the theory that BioWare have discovered the perfect character archetypes that people enjoy most.
Well, that certainly explains the general hatred of Carth/Kaiden, and Ashley, and Silk Fox, and Dawn Star, Sky, Aribeth, Jack (Silk Fox after a horrible cloning experiment and a stop at Hot Topic, or Nobody Loves Me if you're an SR fan), Miranda (and her sausage boob), Kelly, Thane, Alistair, Morgan, Ogrin, Wynn, Desher, Imoen, Jahera, Juhani, Liara, Liliana, Mission, Zalbaar (and his Listerine gargling voiceover), Samara (Thane after a sex change gone horribly wrong), Zaeed, Logain (the most predictable villain ever, and a horrible attempt to clone Canderous. Canderous didn't take to kindly to that it would seem), Shale (an attempt to clone HK47 that resulted in... well... Steve from accounting), and Zevron (the mobile cheese factory) all have rather healthy hatedoms out there. Oh... right, and Bastila... And Male Shepard (football captain from Columbus, OH)...
madbird-valiant said:
Starke said:
madbird-valiant said:
Boring as all hell, you mean? Because if so, then it's hardly a good idea to make a game out of it, surely. Mercenaries 2 was more entertaining than this, and Mercenaries 2 was utter brine.
Okay, two things.

One: Far Cry 2 may be boring, that doesn't mean there isn't more going on than you perceived. This is precisely the kind of content I'm trained to look for, and Far Cry 2 has it in spades. It's simply too blatant to be an accident.
Philosophy? From Crytek? That wasn't an accident? I wouldn't be so sure. :p
Far Cry 2? From Crytek? That is a mistake. Crytek made Far Cry, Crysis, and now Crysis 2, they did not make Far Cry 2. Far Cry 2 was Ubisoft Montreal. The same people who've made the Splinter Cell games, Assassin's Creed 1 & 2, and so on.
madbird-valiant said:
Starke said:
Two: Roger Ebert is off flame baiting the entire video game community making him either the world's oldest troll, or an ass out of himself. What he's saying is Video Games aren't art. And he's right. In gaming we tend to look for immediate gratification. Whatever we're doing has to pay off right now or we get bored and wander off. I've seen games that skip out on this. Pathologic is the best example I'm aware of, and the fact you've (almost certainly) never heard of it should tell you just how well it went over. It's hard, opaque, doesn't accept any margin for error, will screw you over during a course of (in game) days. And it tells a very disturbing and pointed story about the value of human life, and the scarcity of it. The problem is, very deliberately it is not fun. It's painful, exhausting, emotionally taxing. These are all deliberate design choices. Because, if you were having fun doing this, going through these characters lives, then it wouldn't serve the story. I'm not saying art has to be suffering, I'm saying we're forcing video games to be fun at the cost of potential artistic value. Pathologic is probably the deepest game I've ever played. And it's hell
I wouldn't be the proud semi-otaku I was if I hadn't played quite a few "visual novels" in my time (lets face it, they're hentai games for the most part), and School Days was possibly the most depressing experience of my life. Not to mention the anime it spawned, which made me want to attack a hail of bullets with my face.

There are a lot of games I don't "enjoy", emotionally. Halo 3 for example, Bioshock 2 is another. I enjoy the individual bits of them, but as a whole they don't make me feel happy. And before you jump in, not because of game quality. -glares- Hell, even Portal. Goddamn GLaDOS making me feel guilty about killing her.
Yeah, see, we're coming at this from different angels. You're talking about games that have unpleasant twists in the narrative. I'm talking about, on a larger scope, we limit ourselves to one flavor of gameplay. We want the sickly sweet of gleeful abandon. What we don't want is the larger range of ennui available. I can see why, but, it is genuinely our loss.

One example comes from Sid Meier. When he was making Civilization, originally you'd have a rise and fall, and your civilization would fall apart only to allow you to pull it back together stronger than ever for a win. What ended up happening was players would quit before it turned around for them. So, in the end, Civilization was revised as a linear progression.

We're all whiny bastards in this regard, and we're poorer for it.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
madbird-valiant said:
Starke said:
Hitler wasn't a genius. He surrounded himself with smart people, yes, but he, himself. Not so much. He was militarily incompetent and whenever he was directly involved in the operational level of combat things went sideways fast.

What the Nazis got right, militarily, in 1937: they were the best trained, most disciplined, and best equipped force in Europe with some incredibly brilliant minds in their upper echelons. So, I say this without irony, thank fucking god Hitler was incompetent.

In order to prevent a military coup he feared, he put his command staff in direct competition with one another. He opposed the introduction of assault rifles, instead favoring the Walther MP SMGs. Because we all know how fantastic 9x19 is on the battlefield instead of 7.62. He shut down their nuclear program. Oh, yes, and he invaded Russia. A feat that's gone well for precisely no one since the Vikings.
I didn't say he wasn't an idiot (invading Russia was a stupid choice no matter how you look at it; you have to admit, though, they did make some pretty good headway before winter set in, though that might be thanks in part to Scorched Earth and so on), I said he was a genius. Not in terms of strategy or anything military-based (although I think Blitzkrieg was sort of his idea. Maybe not, though), but charismatically. He managed to sway an entire country (for the most part) to his point of view, or at least to a point of view not dissimilar to his own. He managed to alienate an entire people, although to their credit, they were already sort of alienated to begin with, and attempt to wipe them out without any REAL resistance (I know there was resistance, but nothing on a nation-moving scale).
Yeah, you did say he wasn't an idiot. You see, aside from the phrase "idiot savant," the concept of an idiot and the concept of a genius are mutually exclusive.

Again, Hitler surrounded himself with some very smart people. Who's ideas where what are irrelevant. A blitzkrieg is a good way to fuck yourself over militarily, he had a command staff who could make it work, though.

Combine this with your assessment of Mordor as Nazi Germany and I'm left in serious doubt as to your familiarity with tactics in WWII, or in Lord of the Rings for that matter. If you want a good analogy from LotR for Nazi Germany, then Isengard is a much better choice. A disciplined industrialized force that focuses on lightning assaults, and can cover an unreasonable amount of territory, this is opposed to the Human Wave attacks that Mordor uses. That's a tactic from WWI.
madbird-valiant said:
Peter Molyneux is rather similar. No matter how many lies he's told in the past and how much I've been hurt by it, like when Fable 2 was a linear piece of crap rather than a sprawling sandbox, I still get excited over the next Lionhead game because he's so stupidly, retardedly passionate about what he says that you think "Surely THIS time". He's also an idiot, so they have a lot in common.
Molyneux isn't really anything at all like Hitler. I've seen some pretty sloppy invocations of Godwin over the years, but this one really takes the cake. Hitler was fantastic public speaker and a shitty artist. Molyneux is a fantastic artist and a shitty public speaker... One of these things is not like the other.
madbird-valiant said:
Starke said:
Where as, instead, the goddamn Ukrainians told you to do this to get a good ending. They just didn't turn the arrow on automatically.
Bastards. Here's hoping Metro 2033 was made by different Ukrainians.
Same Ukrainians.
madbird-valiant said:
Starke said:
Yeah, see the point of Two Worlds is, it doesn't really have limits. Same with Gothic/Risen. It also never really says, "here's all the features of the game," instead it says "go out there, experiment, and die a lot, we'll be waiting." I much prefer the latter because it offers more perceptual freedom.
Yeah, I remember dying alot. That's probably what made me abandon it.
Heh. You do know there was a difficulty setting, right?
madbird-valiant said:
Starke said:
Well, that certainly explains the general hatred of Carth/Kaiden, and Ashley, and Silk Fox, and Dawn Star, Sky, Aribeth, Jack (Silk Fox after a horrible cloning experiment and a stop at Hot Topic, or Nobody Loves Me if you're an SR fan), Miranda (and her sausage boob), Kelly, Thane, Alistair, Morgan, Ogrin, Wynn, Desher, Imoen, Jahera, Juhani, Liara, Liliana, Mission, Zalbaar (and his Listerine gargling voiceover), Samara (Thane after a sex change gone horribly wrong), Zaeed, Logain (the most predictable villain ever, and a horrible attempt to clone Canderous. Canderous didn't take to kindly to that it would seem), Shale (an attempt to clone HK47 that resulted in... well... Steve from accounting), and Zevron (the mobile cheese factory) all have rather healthy hatedoms out there. Oh... right, and Bastila... And Male Shepard (football captain from Columbus, OH)...
HEY! HEY. Oh, wait, you didn't include Tali in that list, all is well.
Trust me, my GF suggested including Tali. There's enough Tali fetishists out there for me to stay my hand on this one.
madbird-valiant said:
And I wouldn't say hatred, not of most of those characters anyway; Miranda, Carth/Kaiden (same fucking person), Liara, Juhani, Zaeed, Loghain, and Zevran I'll agree have hefty degrees of hate thrown at them. Leliana too, the french whore.

And if you're arguing that their characters aren't good because people hate them, then logically, there are no good characters. This is the internet, my friend, where everything is hated in equal measure. It's just that some are less equally hated than others.
Well... that's kinda irrelevant. It's a rebuttal to something you said. They've found the archetypes that people like the most. The statement here is, no. No they haven't.

I'm not saying it's bad writing because they're hated by the Internets. If push came to shove and you want me to say they're proof of bad writing because they're archetypes. All of these characters can be distilled down to a single sentence. Once you've done that you can predict every aspect of their behavior. That is, by definition, not good writing.
madbird-valiant said:
Also, Jack is awesome. Wanker. xD And I prefer Shale to HK47 because Shale has the added bonus of apparently originally being a She, and she sounds like the monitor lizard out of Ferngully. Sorry, was just watching that before.
Honestly, the only reason I give a shit about HK is because of KOTOR 2. It's really staggering the number of brainless idiots who stagger on here to defend how awesome Bioware is for their characters and then quote lines from HK in KOTOR 2, which Bioware did not write. Shale misses the mark by a fair margin, he's like HK from KOTOR1, mostly pointless.

Also, Jack is a Bioware character I've seen so goddamn many times. Jack, Arabeth, Bastila, Morigan, Miranda, and Silk Fox are all the exact same ***** with a heart of gold soft sensitive side underneath. Only, with Jack it's worse because they try to play up the tough *****, and do it so badly, that in the end I could vomit.

Apparently I'm not the only one less than enamored with her.
Andy Chalk said:
Or are we so happy to have Liara back in the crew, and perhaps the sack, that we don't care about such things? I was never much of a fan of the character, but if bringing another biotic aboard means I can finally blow Jack [http://masseffect.bioware.com/universe/squad/subject_zero/] out an airlock, you can count me in.
madbird-valiant said:
Starke said:
Far Cry 2? From Crytek? That is a mistake. Crytek made Far Cry, Crysis, and now Crysis 2, they did not make Far Cry 2. Far Cry 2 was Ubisoft Montreal. The same people who've made the Splinter Cell games, Assassin's Creed 1 & 2, and so on.
Ah, right you are, sorry about that. Allow me to ammend that: Philosophy? From Ubisoft? That wasn't a mistake? Don't be so sure. :p
Same company that titled one of their games Beyond Good and Evil. :p

In all honesty, it doesn't surprise me. These guys have done some fairly sophisticated writing over the years. Not, you know, a lot, but some.
madbird-valiant said:
Starke said:
Yeah, see, we're coming at this from different angels.
I call Azrael, in Darksiders form.
I hate that fucking typo so much.
madbird-valiant said:
Starke said:
You're talking about games that have unpleasant twists in the narrative. I'm talking about, on a larger scope, we limit ourselves to one flavor of gameplay. We want the sickly sweet of gleeful abandon. What we don't want is the larger range of ennui available. I can see why, but, it is genuinely our loss.

One example comes from Sid Meier. When he was making Civilization, originally you'd have a rise and fall, and your civilization would fall apart only to allow you to pull it back together stronger than ever for a win. What ended up happening was players would quit before it turned around for them. So, in the end, Civilization was revised as a linear progression.

We're all whiny bastards in this regard, and we're poorer for it.
Oh I dunno, whenever I play Civ4 my civilization tends to fall quite a bit :p
That's cause you're, you know, bad at it. :p
madbird-valiant said:
And yeah, I understand what you're saying. I just think that, as a culture, gamers don't want to fork out $110 (AUD) for an experience that they're not going to enjoy, no matter how unique and such it would be. Huh. That reminds me, I wonder how that schitzophrenia game is coming...
Again, it's not that I don't understand, you're basically restating my last paragraph: "We're all whiny bastards in this regard, and we're poorer for it."

I bought Pathologic but never committed much time to it because it's so goddamn depressing to play, but, at the same time, I can't help but feel it is a richer emotional experience than any mainstream game I've played, probably because, it's so fucking depressing and draining.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
EDIT: (moved to the top of post)
Sorry if I seem a bit kurt at times. I've spent most of the day writing, and I'm not up to doing that much more at the moment. Expect the Bioware stuff to come back again from beyond the grave in a couple days when I'm not on a deadline.
madbird-valiant said:
Starke said:
Yeah, you did say he wasn't an idiot. You see, aside from the phrase "idiot savant," the concept of an idiot and the concept of a genius are mutually exclusive.
Different type of idiot. Also, this thread page is now long enough that Opera crashes while trying to load it up. Go us.
Still, it's a binary state, pick one.
madbird-valiant said:
Starke said:
Again, Hitler surrounded himself with some very smart people. Who's ideas where what are irrelevant. A blitzkrieg is a good way to fuck yourself over militarily, he had a command staff who could make it work, though.

Combine this with your assessment of Mordor as Nazi Germany and I'm left in serious doubt as to your familiarity with tactics in WWII, or in Lord of the Rings for that matter. If you want a good analogy from LotR for Nazi Germany, then Isengard is a much better choice. A disciplined industrialized force that focuses on lightning assaults, and can cover an unreasonable amount of territory, this is opposed to the Human Wave attacks that Mordor uses. That's a tactic from WWI.
Isengard actually does work better as far as Nazi military tactics go. I just referred to Mordor as Nazi Germany because it's the popular interpretation and because when you're talking about "evil" empires trying to take over the world, Nazi Germany comes ot mind almost immediately. Probably Persia and such after that. And trust me, I've had several years of history education, I don't think I'm saying anything over-the-top when I say that I know most of World War 2 inside out. The events, anyway.
MMM, you might be a little over the top here, honestly. If you're anything like me, knowledge of WWII doesn't impart knowledge of it's predecessor. If you're going to make analogies, it's worth the couple of seconds to come up with a good one, otherwise you actually end up weakening your argument and looking like you don't know what you're talking about. And it does everyone a disservice.
madbird-valiant said:
Starke said:
Molyneux isn't really anything at all like Hitler. I've seen some pretty sloppy invocations of Godwin over the years, but this one really takes the cake. Hitler was fantastic public speaker and a shitty artist. Molyneux is a fantastic artist and a shitty public speaker... One of these things is not like the other.
I sure as hell couldn't paint as well as Hitler could, that's for sure. I'd wager Molyneux couldn't either. And the fact that people still believe that the shit he says is going to be in games will, in fact, be in the games leads me to believe that he's a better public speaker than he lets on. Even if he is winging it on the fly.
Okay, snappy jokes aside, until Molyneux starts a systematic campaign of genocide, or conquers Poland, comparing him to Hitler is a very sloppy, very overused logical fallacy. Please, stop.

Oh, shit, those were snappy jokes... fuck...
madbird-valiant said:
Starke said:
Same Ukrainians.
Nope, 4A Studios or something did Metro, GSC did the S.T.A.L.K.E.R games. Phew.
Yeah, 4A Studios founded by... wait for it... people who left GSC in 2006.
madbird-valiant said:
Starke said:
Heh. You do know there was a difficulty setting, right?
Yes but if I die a certain amount on normal/medium difficulty then I rather give up on a game. xD It should make you die a few times, but not many.

Starke said:
Trust me, my GF suggested including Tali. There's enough Tali fetishists out there for me to stay my hand on this one.
Damn right. I'm a Talimancer myself. xD
*Vomits*
madbird-valiant said:
Starke said:
Well... that's kinda irrelevant. It's a rebuttal to something you said. They've found the archetypes that people like the most. The statement here is, no. No they haven't.

I'm not saying it's bad writing because they're hated by the Internets. If push came to shove and you want me to say they're proof of bad writing because they're archetypes. All of these characters can be distilled down to a single sentence. Once you've done that you can predict every aspect of their behavior. That is, by definition, not good writing.
People still love the characters (with the possible exception of Leliana), no matter how much other people hate them. I know I do, anyway, and same with most of my mates who are into RPG's, even though I know they're stereotypical to the extreme.
I'm not 100% sure here, but in my experience, knowing how Bioware stirs the soup really fills me with a sense of apathy towards all their characters.
madbird-valiant said:
And technically, every character ever could be distilled down to a single sentence. The beauty of understatement.
Not really, no. A lot of characters can, yes. But there's still more to be had in actual depth. By the same measure you can define every Bioware character as "a neurotic whackjob with family issues." There's a little more variance than that, but not by much.
madbird-valiant said:
Starke said:
Honestly, the only reason I give a shit about HK is because of KOTOR 2. It's really staggering the number of brainless idiots who stagger on here to defend how awesome Bioware is for their characters and then quote lines from HK in KOTOR 2, which Bioware did not write. Shale misses the mark by a fair margin, he's like HK from KOTOR1, mostly pointless.

Also, Jack is a Bioware character I've seen so goddamn many times. Jack, Arabeth, Bastila, Morigan, Miranda, and Silk Fox are all the exact same ***** with a heart of gold soft sensitive side underneath. Only, with Jack it's worse because they try to play up the tough *****, and do it so badly, that in the end I could vomit.

Apparently I'm not the only one less than enamored with her.
Pfft, I'd say Jack is at least a better character than Miranda, Bastila, Morrigan or Arabeth, even if you insist on your viewpoint that she's a shit character in general. Miranda is a ***** who acts the ruthless Cerebus officer with unresolved daddy issues, Morrigan is just an all-round *****, there just to mess you up if you're trying to play as a good guy, can't quite remember Bastila cos I haven't played KOTOR in yonks, but I remember she was bland as shit and twice as useless. Apart from Tali (goddamn I love me some Tali), Jack is the only character in any BioWare game I've really cared about on anything more than a game level. The transition from tough ***** to whimpering little girl makes sense and doesn't seem out of place, which is usually what happens with a character like that. In my opinion, anyway.
As someone with some actual training in human psychology, Jack's soft furry underbelly makes about as much sense as an Iguana tap dancing.
madbird-valiant said:
Starke said:
Same company that titled one of their games Beyond Good and Evil. :p
Exception that proves the rule, in my opinion. I think, anyway, haven't played it yet. Apart from that, Ubisoft just tend to be about the pretty graphics and vomiting words.
It's a stupid pun... regardless there has been good material that came out of Ubisoft Montreal. It's the one dev from that company I actually miss, given their shit for brains DRM system.
madbird-valiant said:
Starke said:
That's cause you're, you know, bad at it. :p
I am not, you bastard. xD
All I've got for you is an idiotic meme... so zero wing can go screw itself. Try Civ2, it's the best. :D
madbird-valiant said:
Starke said:
Again, it's not that I don't understand, you're basically restating my last paragraph: "We're all whiny bastards in this regard, and we're poorer for it."

I bought Pathologic but never committed much time to it because it's so goddamn depressing to play, but, at the same time, I can't help but feel it is a richer emotional experience than any mainstream game I've played, probably because, it's so fucking depressing and draining.
Yeah, I can understand that. To use School Days again (because I haven't beaten that horse enough), it's #2 on my top 10 list of anime (under Neon Genesis Evangelion :p) despite the fact that I've watched it once and a half and wanted to kill myself afterwards.

I suppose a game that gives that heavy an emotional response, even if it is a negative one, is worth time of day.

Oh and that schitzophrenia game was Sadness, for the Wii, and by the looks of it it's been dropped. Fuck. :C
This may mark me as some kind of art snob, but its certainly an aspect in games we're missing out on.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Darrkon Fearlock said:
Alright I'm tired of all this, give me a second to just rub the tension out of my face *rubs*.
OK, the reason that Halo is so popular because people like it because they enjoy the game, they have fun doing it, please for the love of god get the stick out of your ass and just let it lie. I'm sick of how when people want to get a point across they have to start with "Halo was bullshit", just play the games you want to play and let people play what they want to play, just let it lie it does not affect you if you don't play those games.
Congrats. That's not at all what he was saying in any way shape or form. Morgan was talking about a literary analysis of the characters, not that "Halo was full of bullshit". the only place that quote exists is as a truncated larger statement... because we know context is for the weak, and those looking to start uninformed flamewars?

Anyway, sorry if I'm sounding snippy, as I mentioned in the previous post this has been one fuckawful long day.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
madbird-valiant said:
Starke said:
EDIT: (moved to the top of post)
Sorry if I seem a bit kurt at times. I've spent most of the day writing, and I'm not up to doing that much more at the moment. Expect the Bioware stuff to come back again from beyond the grave in a couple days when I'm not on a deadline.
You know what's good for stress? Halo :p
Yeah... you know what I don't have time for? Tracking down that last reflex booster in FEAR2.
madbird-valiant said:
Starke said:
MMM, you might be a little over the top here, honestly. If you're anything like me, knowledge of WWII doesn't impart knowledge of it's predecessor.
Well, I did say WWII, not WWI...
You also claimed poTAto potaTO on WWI/WWII, which doesn't exactly demonstrate familiarity with either.

madbird-valiant said:
Starke said:
If you're going to make analogies, it's worth the couple of seconds to come up with a good one, otherwise you actually end up weakening your argument and looking like you don't know what you're talking about. And it does everyone a disservice.
But then I actually have to put effort into it, when usually I'm whacking out these replies between episodes of anime or before I run out for work. As such I come off as a bit of a troll at times.
It's not like I'm asking for a cited research paper.

madbird-valiant said:
Starke said:
Okay, snappy jokes aside, until Molyneux starts a systematic campaign of genocide, or conquers Poland, comparing him to Hitler is a very sloppy, very overused logical fallacy. Please, stop.
With his brain? It's more likely than you'd think. New, from Lionhead Studios, Hitler: The Teenage Years.

Basically "Bully" set late 1800's/1900's with a shitton more angst.
This still doesn't help your argument.

madbird-valiant said:
Starke said:
Oh, shit, those were snappy jokes... fuck...
Good game, dude. xD

Starke said:
Yeah, 4A Studios founded by... wait for it... people who left GSC in 2006.
..fuck.

Starke said:
I swear to god I will hunt you down. xD

Starke said:
Not really, no. A lot of characters can, yes. But there's still more to be had in actual depth. By the same measure you can define every Bioware character as "a neurotic whackjob with family issues." There's a little more variance than that, but not by much.
Loghain technically doesn't fit into that, but I'll give it to you nonetheless. Jack never really had a family at all, but I suppose that in itself is technically a family issue.
Yeah, Logain does. Who is the queen of Ferelden (at the beginning of DAO)? Who turns on him in act three?

There are exceptions. Not, you know, many, but Logain isn't one of them.

madbird-valiant said:
Starke said:
As someone with some actual training in human psychology, Jack's soft furry underbelly makes about as much sense as an Iguana tap dancing.
-pushes a copy of Ferngully across the table-
Tap dancing Iguanas?

gl1koz3

May 24, 2010
Well, Crysis 1 demo was good. Beyond that, nothing worth remembering. The 2nd has a lot to prove.

EDIT: And who banned this dude above this post? So funny to read.