lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Adam Jensen said:
lacktheknack said:
It still can be salvaged:

How good of a benchmark is it?
LOL!

It's a benchmark alright. Just like the original Crysis. And it will be for some time. Just like the original Crysis. Too bad it's not as fun as Crysis. Hopefully, modders will do something about that.
Good to know. I'll probably pick it up on sale (MAJOR sale).

Netrigan

Sep 29, 2010
Blood Brain Barrier said:
There's nothing wrong with Crysis 3, but nothing really great either.
Sums up the entire Crysis series. I've tried each instalment but found absolutely nothing underneath the shiny graphics to make me want to play for longer than an hour or so. I can only think the reason for Crysis' popularity is that the shininess has distracted us so much that a good game isn't necessary.
Kind of sums up everything from Crytech. The original Far Cry has the makings of a really great sandbox game where you stalk your human adversaries... before morphing into a merely competent corridor shooter against sci-fi mutants. Crysis has the makings of a really great sandbox game where you're given great super-powers to use against human adversaries... before going down the same boring sci-fi road that screwed up Far Cry. Crysis 2 starts off strong with you using your super-powers to stalk human prey... before it becomes a pretty boring sci-fi shooter where you end up running past battles because you can't be bothered.

In every single case, they failed to formulate an engaging story with any interesting characters.

Far Cry 3 points to what the series probably ought to be, as at least you can wander about stalking your human prey and there's one really great great character and a half-developed good idea for a plot.

Juan Regular

Jun 3, 2008
Just bought myself my first gaming PC (yay!), so I´m buying the game mostly for some shiny graphics. I did like the prequels though, so I imagine I´ll like this one too.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
Quite an important point that's been missed out is that the AI is fucking bullshit. No really, if you destealth while crouchwalking behind someone they'll know straight away, snap round instantly and fire at you. If you destealth inside thick foliage they will still see you and kill you. If you miss someone's head with your rifle they will turn and instantly get a bead on you AND PULL THE TRIGGER WHILE TURNING

The higher-up difficulties have worse AI than Crysis 1's, and that's pretty significantly shit.

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
Wait, I have to ingest what I just heard:

1. Escapist openly said a game is bad while not being Zero Punctuation
(seriously Esacpist reviews have been rather uncritical this year esp. so Kudos to Greg Tito!!!!)

2. Crysis 3 is bad.

that is so far basically right, right?
What a day.

Spiritmaster

Dec 4, 2012
Is it just me or did this game get no advertising? This is literally the first time I have seen or heard anything about Crysis 3.

Skops

Mar 9, 2010
Spiritmaster said:
Is it just me or did this game get no advertising? This is literally the first time I have seen or heard anything about Crysis 3.
Really? I can't seem to get away from Crysis 3 adverts on gaming websites. If anything I feel like Crysis 3 was advertised like it was a AAA multi-million seller that it wasn't.

I LOVED Crysis 1. Even now, I still go back and load up some good ol' jungle nano suit fun, Crysis Warhead expansion was also a fun addition. For a time, Crysis may actually have been my favorite shooter. And then Crysis 2 came out, and something happened. I don't really know what it is that makes me so underwhelmed by Crysis 2, but it seems Mr. Tito here has the same feeling with Crysis 3.

This is sorely disappointing, If there any franchise that has the most potential to push the limits and set the bar for the entire genre. It's Crysis. And if this is the last one; imo, Crysis might be the biggest waste of potential in the gaming industry.

Reyalsfeihc

Jun 12, 2010
Honestly, after playing through the entire campaign on Veteran while using ONLY the bow, with the exception of a few sections (a-la last two bosses), I don't understand why this game is getting so much flack. Sure, maybe it's not worth the $60 to some people, but that's just the pricing standard for AAA releases.

Is Crysis 3 a bad game? Heck no. I had way more fun with it than I even did with the original Crysis. A lot of reviewers said that the story was disjointed, but it logically made sense how maddeningly quick things changed. There was quite a bit of exposition if you listened into the characters' dialog or read the occasional text log. The level design was closer to that of the original Crysis, although still more directed than the original.

Multiplayer is surprisingly fun, and Hunter game mode is an interesting take on infection gametypes. Honestly, if you're playing the traditional deathmatch, you're doing the multiplayer injustice.

TL;DR: Is it worth a purchase? Yes. But maybe for you you should wait for the $45 price point.

bificommander

Apr 19, 2010
That's unfortunate. I wasn't picking up Crysis 3 on release anyway, don't have the cash atm, but I considered picking it up later. Now it'll be much, much later, when the base price has dropped AND there's a Steam sale or something similar.

I really don't get the story continuations between the sequels. The first, and best, game ended with a very obvious sequel hook and the protagonist declaring that, now they can fight the aliens, they have to go back to the island. Then Crysis 2 starts in New York, with a completely different protagonist. Yeah, the old one got killed in a tie-in comic that you didn't bother to read. The sad thing was, although the gameplay of the sequel wasn't as cool and the graphics not as impressive, the story was actually not that bad, but it took me half the game to start appreciating it for what it was, and not trying to connect it to the first part. And with the ending of the second, they did the exact opposite: The sequel-hooked very obviously that you'd have to go kick alien ass in many other places around the world... and the sequel sends you back to New York.

Seriously, do the writers and designers hate each other at Crytek? Do the writers just make catching sequel hooks before checking with the dev team if they're going to make the game they're promising? I mean, seriously, Crysis 2's sequel hook is pretty good, with enough vagueness to keep an air of mystery about it, but then the third game is completely at odds with the few specific things Crysis 2 actually sets up. There are many more alien bases, and the presumed other head of CELL is contacting you and seems friendly enough. Doesn't mean he can't betray you later in on Crysis 3, but before the game even starts? Lame.

Aaron Sylvester

Jul 1, 2012
I finished the campaign on Veteran mode yesterday, and even then it was piss easy...but then again, I guess I was just fairly accustomed to the controls/aiming with all that time I sank into Crysis 2 MP :p

You really need to play this game on Super Solder to enjoy the gameplay...or at least Veteran. You will be required to navigate the levels more carefully and ammo is more scarce, you can't just bow-whore your way through. Hell I didn't even use the bow because it felt so clumsy, saved it for bosses or stronger aliens. 1 bullet from any assault rifle to the head is enough to kill a CELL trooper. Yes, 1 bullet. So all you need to do is set your gun to single shot, stick on a high-zoom scope and use the gun like a sniper rifle (I used Grendel single-shot, that thing shreds).

I had a ton of fun playing the campaign and the multiplayer will keep me busy for a long time with it's incredibly fast-paced Quake style run'n'gun fun, a HUGE amount of work has gone into multiplayer with all the different maps/modes/weapons/etc. So definitely worth the $60 for me.

For those looking for a mind-blowing campaign and not interested in multiplayer, this game probably won't be worth your purchase.

Also those who are saying game is just like Crysis 2, you must be out of your goddamn minds. The levels in this game are VASTLY bigger and more open and the nanosuit allows infinite mobility and has separated energy bars as opposed to the C2 nanosuit where the sprint function used up the same energy bar as cloak/armor. Crysis 2 was vastly more linear than this game, and although Crysis 3 still doesn't come close to Crysis 1's open/free levels, it strikes a balance and that's what Crytek were going for. You also didn't have an abundance of crazy alien weapons in Crysis 2, Crysis 3 levels are littered with them.

I feel the game was a bit too short, some more boss fights and levels would have been appropriate. I only remember 2 boss fights near the end, one with that alien that stood up and had all those little aliens charging/firing beams at me, and the final boss (alpha ceph). Only 7 levels was a little disappointing, but a LOT of work went into those levels to make them huge and expansive.

Again, those looking into one of the fastest-paced online FPS experiences today should consider Crysis 3 multiplayer. Nothing really comes close to the movement/parkour the suit allows around the sprawling arena-esque levels and the guns handle well. There is also fairly accurate hipfire and the game is not all ironsight aiming like CoD. This is about as close to the Quake/Unreal Tournament experience as one can get.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
When I saw the review title, I knew the game was going to be nothing at all. [sub]Nothing at all.[sub] Nothing at all. [sub]Nothing at all. [sub]nothing at all...[/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub]

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
never cared for the franchise, never played any of the games and still dont care for this title. just seeing the ?A logo turns me off from getting it.

Arina Love

GOT MOE?
Apr 8, 2010
Well just as i expected from Crytek, beautiful visuals but boring and hollow game. How about they give up on making games and just make game engines so more talented game developers can make a game worthy of stunning visuals.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well it's another Crysis game, it is all perfectly functional and pretty but at the same time nothing really interesting, if you enjoyed the ones before or wonder how an MMS made within this decade looks like then give it a go, if not then I don't see why you would.

micksay

Jan 17, 2011
Wow, I just read people raving about this on a forum, and then I read this......

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Will rent this for a weekend. I played Crysis 2, i enjoyed it for the most part but was just a generic fps game. I know PC people will complain as i played it on 360, but still. The game is generic regardless of how amazing you make the graphics. Just seems C3 is a game for PC people to use to prove how great there rig is, to boast online that they are playing at the highest graphics level available.

Hopefully they havnt used the same stealth invisibility thing from C2, that just broke the game. Pretty much walked through the last two levels without firing a single bullet. lol

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Huh! That's just how Crysis 2 was for me. Too bad they didn't fix that. Sure, there wasn't a stealth bow, but that was easily fixed, just by de-cloaking just long enough to fire a shot. It really did feel like cheating.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
Looks just like Crysis 2 :/

Kinda sad the original VA for Psycho isn't back. Good times with him in Crysis 1 and Warhead.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
i like the game.
sure the story isn't great and the main reason to buy it is because i can run it but i find the mechanics of the thing to be rather fun when compared to the usual shooter drivel that is being released (fingers crossed for bioshock).
and if they make crysis 4 i really want the more detailed control over suit functions i had in the original, it's only crysis if you can punch people into space and hurt yourself by running into a wall