Crysis 3 Review - Nothing Underneath the Suit

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
BloodRed Pixel said:
Wait, I have to ingest what I just heard:

1. Escapist openly said a game is bad while not being Zero Punctuation
(seriously Esacpist reviews have been rather uncritical this year esp. so Kudos to Greg Tito!!!!)

2. Crysis 3 is bad.

that is so far basically right, right?
What a day.
The Escapist has condemned plenty of games before, when they deserve it; this is about the only place you can expect an honest review.

maninahat said:
When I saw the review title, I knew the game was going to be nothing at all. [sub]Nothing at all.[sub] Nothing at all. [sub]Nothing at all. [sub]nothing at all...[/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub]
WaitWHAT said:
What's with that bit at the en-*remembers*

CURSE YOU, MANINAHAT!

grumpymooselion

May 5, 2011
Honestly, all the crysis games have come off . . . pretty much as tech demos. That's about it. The only thing that amazes me is that there are still people expecting more than that out of the series. Pretty but soulless is the rule of the crysis games. It'd be nice if there were more than that present, but, I have absolutely no hope of such things ever coming about.

Breadline

Mar 25, 2012
Blood Brain Barrier said:
Sums up the entire Crysis series. I've tried each instalment but found absolutely nothing underneath the shiny graphics to make me want to play for longer than an hour or so. I can only think the reason for Crysis' popularity is that the shininess has distracted us so much that a good game isn't necessary.
I never really got the common complaint that Crysis games are only for visual splendor. When I played Crysis 1 and Warhead, it was on the Medium settings at a fairly low res, but I still rate Crysis 1 as one of the best shooters I've ever played. Why does everyone seem to discount the incredible gameplay? I've yet to play another shooter that allows for such fluid, dynamic, and exhilarating combat.

Honestly, I can't think of a shooter with more emergent, enjoyable gameplay. Large open levels, the flexible and strategic nanosuit as well as weapon customization on the fly, the ability to play how you want, unscripted AI that you can truly manipulate with speed, stealth, and sound.

But all I ever seem to hear is "Under all the pretty graphics it's just a generic sci fi shooter."

Half Life 2, Bioshock, Perfect Dark, Halo, Unreal, Resistance, I can't think of a single shooter with gameplay like that. Here's another of the same person in the same level, and it still turns out very different:

How many shooters will let you perform a super human leap over a tank to drop c4 on it before detonating as you land on the other side? How many shooters let you chuck an explosive barrel at a helicopter and shoot it in midair because you ran out of rockets? How many shooters put you in an on-rails turret section but let you jump off and go your own way on foot? In how many shooters can you perform Hollywood-level stunts ranging from silent predator to Bruce Willis all in the same shootout? How many shooters let you punch a tree down and kill your enemies with it? How many games give you a peninsula, some islands, three main objectives, two secondary objectives and just say 'Go for it'?

How many shooters let you do all that, on your own, without a cutscene or QTE to do or even suggest it for you? I haven't played any besides Crysis.

The multiplayer even had nuke guns. NUKE GUNS.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Breadline said:
Blood Brain Barrier said:
Sums up the entire Crysis series. I've tried each instalment but found absolutely nothing underneath the shiny graphics to make me want to play for longer than an hour or so. I can only think the reason for Crysis' popularity is that the shininess has distracted us so much that a good game isn't necessary.
I never really got the common complaint that Crysis games are only for visual splendor. When I played Crysis 1 and Warhead, it was on the Medium settings at a fairly low res, but I still rate Crysis 1 as one of the best shooters I've ever played. Why does everyone seem to discount the incredible gameplay? I've yet to play another shooter that allows for such fluid, dynamic, and exhilarating combat.

Honestly, I can't think of a shooter with more emergent, enjoyable gameplay. Large open levels, the flexible and strategic nanosuit as well as weapon customization on the fly, the ability to play how you want, unscripted AI that you can truly manipulate with speed, stealth, and sound.

But all I ever seem to hear is "Under all the pretty graphics it's just a generic sci fi shooter."

Half Life 2, Bioshock, Perfect Dark, Halo, Unreal, Resistance, I can't think of a single shooter with gameplay like that. Here's another of the same person in the same level, and it still turns out very different:

How many shooters will let you perform a super human leap over a tank to drop c4 on it before detonating as you land on the other side? How many shooters let you chuck an explosive barrel at a helicopter and shoot it in midair because you ran out of rockets? How many shooters put you in an on-rails turret section but let you jump off and go your own way on foot? In how many shooters can you perform Hollywood-level stunts ranging from silent predator to Bruce Willis all in the same shootout? How many shooters let you punch a tree down and kill your enemies with it? How many games give you a peninsula, some islands, three main objectives, two secondary objectives and just say 'Go for it'?

How many shooters let you do all that, on your own, without a cutscene or QTE to do or even suggest it for you? I haven't played any besides Crysis.

The multiplayer even had nuke guns. NUKE GUNS.
I liked Far Cry - all of them. I don't know what it is about Crysis. I don't know what makes Crysis so different to Far Cry, and why one is enjoyable to me and the other is not. Yeah you can do what you want, go stealth, sneak up on your enemy, throw grenades or go full on assault. There's an infinite number of ways to do things, but that doesn't seem to matter to me. When I'm playing Crysis I just want to get through to the next bit as quickly as possible. The game manages to create total apathy for my character and the story, something which Crytek's other game doesn't do.

YCRanger

Jul 31, 2011
I loved Crysis 2. Rented Crysis 3 . . . eh, no thanks. The writing was atrocious. It went beyond just being cliche or expository. It was just weird. People said random things with crazy emotional intensity with no real or well explained purpose. Didn't get far enough to see how it played out though I don't have high hopes. The environments were bigger but there didn't seem to be anything interesting to do in them. Crysis 2 was more linear but it allowed you more interesting options on how to tackle a situation. And for it being such a good looking game I rented it on PS3. It was indeed good looking but there were random texture bugs and pop in that really stood out in a game with such a well rendered environment. I would definitely check it out again if I had the PC to run it.

Surprisingly the only thing I did take away from it that I enjoyed was the multiplayer. I've never been much into online multiplayer but giving everyone the ability to cloak and kick cars at each other was fun enough that I didn't care that I died so much.

Stillgard

P.O.D.
Jun 6, 2011
Sadly, there is a reason to avoid most shooters these days. There is no reason to care about the characters or even the plot your currently in. But all spunk gurgle wee wee aside. There are some exceptions to this rule. Halo 4. A perfect example of a shooter that makes you care regardless of what your play style is. Or even the story for that matter. It all depends on your personal preference I guess. Crysis has always been a benchmark in how far you can push your PC. Hopefully modding being added later on well be the difference between this game being a really solid shooter and a totally crappy one.

Duffeknol

Aug 28, 2010
My biggest grievance with Crytek is that they never get the gunplay right. Crysis 1 was the best game in the series for sure, but actually shooting your enemies felt... impactless is the word I'm looking for. It looked so amazing, and stalking them is fun, but when they finally drop it's a cheap ragdoll. They replaced the ragdolls in 2 and 3 but now the guns feel like they're not even hitting anything. It's hard to describe. Shooting just didn't give any satisfaction. This is something that worse games like CoD and Battlefield actually do nail.

Masonicon

Legacy
Apr 14, 2011
Country
Indonesia
Crysis 2 and Crysis comics has already killed Crysis series for me: the Nanosuits are retconned from Cool Next-Gen power armor that looks lot like Power Rangers' suits to Alien Technology that looks like Spiderman's symbiote and Nomad's Death in Crysis comics is further kills Crysis series for me(since he's my most favorite character from Crysis series)

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Well this game sure came out with little fanfare. I was expecting this in a year or two from now. Didn't have the 1st two, because I don't know if my CURRENT systems and PC's have the specs to play them.