Crysis Rumored for Xbox 360

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Crysis Rumored for Xbox 360

There's a rumor going 'round that Crysis [http://www.amazon.com/Crysis-Pc/dp/B000PS2XDO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309535193&sr=8-1], the 2007 shooter that turned many a macho PC into blubbering masses of tears and pain, is coming to the Xbox 360.

Two things about Crysis were immediately apparent when the game came out in late 2007: one, it was the most visually stunning achievement in the history of videogames for those who had the hardware to run it, and two, nobody had the hardware to run it. Especially not console owners, according to Crytek Senior Game Designer Bernd Diemer, who said in 2006 that the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 just didn't have the stones to run the game properly.

But now it appears that something, somewhere, has changed. South Korea's Game Rating Board has posted a new rating [Google translated [http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=ko&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.grb.or.kr%2FStatistics%2FPopup%2FPop_StatisticsDetails.aspx%3Fapp%3D37013%26type%3D00], horribly], which got the official word from EA Korea that the game is in the works.

There's no release date at this point nor much information about anything else, including how Crytek and/or EA managed to get the game running adequately on the 360. Did the boys in the lab figure out how to squeeze a little more juice out of Microsoft's consoles, or are the boys in the boardroom a little more willing to compromise for a piece of the console action than Crytek was in '06?

Source: Kotaku [http://secure.mycrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=34242]

Apr 28, 2008
I'm guessing they just optimized it a lot. Wonder if they're going to put it on CryEngine 3 or keep it on 2.

Either way, I'd say this is good. People think Crysis 2 was open... HA! It ain't got shit on Crysis 1 in terms of openness.

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
Yeah, I'm expecting a sandbox editor, The full Nanosuit 1.0, don't rip us off with this 2.0 shit, it sucked with everything integrated, and moar awesomness.

Think you can do that EA? Cause i'd give you a maximum hug if you could.

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
PC gamer here. And guess what, this is good news. Yes that's right PC gamers are happy to have supposed exclusives coming out on other formats.

The question is how much of the PC versions graphical prowess will make it into the 360 version. Either not a lot or they have done an amazing optimization job. Or it could be they are doing it from the ground up on Cryengine 3 with it's already console in mind graphical functions.

So with this news now just about anything can run Crysis, yay....

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
Well, they can move the game to a new engine completely. Original Crysis simply can't be ported because engine stores 2-2,4 GB of game data in RAM at every given moment. If they use an engine that actually support streaming of data really well, it can work. Although in that case PS3 would be the more appropriate candidate.

Truth be told, I never liked the original game anyway.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
As nice as it would be to get C1 on consoles, i doubt it will be the same. If they do use Cryengine 3. It definitely wouldn't be a straight port with all the keybindings there were.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
WaaghPowa said:
As nice as it would be to get C1 on consoles, i doubt it will be the same. If they do use Cryengine 3. It definitely wouldn't be a straight port with all the keybindings there were.
Actually, you could use a 360 controller with Crysis 1, and it worked like a charm out of the box.
My guess though, is that they've ported Crysis 1 to the CryEngine 3 (crysis 2) and optimized the shit out of it. I remember seeing a presentation of the Cryengine 3 showing one of the early Crysis 1 maps long time ago, so perhaps they just decided to take it all out and complete the tech demo?

Mr. Google

Jan 31, 2010
Yeah id be a liar if i said i was excited. I havn't played crysis 2 yet even though i really want to. But the only thing ive heard good about Crysis 1 is graphics so....why would i buy a game for graphics?

Syphous

Apr 6, 2009
Mr. Google said:
Yeah id be a liar if i said i was excited. I havn't played crysis 2 yet even though i really want to. But the only thing ive heard good about Crysis 1 is graphics so....why would i buy a game for graphics?
That was Crysis 1's claim to fame, but really Crysis was just damn fun. More fun than Crysis 2 imo, by a long shot.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Maybe they're porting it to the CryEngine 3, as it is more capable/scalable then it's predecessor and pretty much the reason of it's existance in the first place, so that they could get it running into a console.

Well, considering that the first Crysis and it's standalone expansion Warhead were pretty great, this is great news for console users, better late than never, right?.

Also, if this is true, I fail to justify a full price tag on a 4 year old game, unless it comes included with Warhead, but still, I hope it comes with a lesser price tag.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
SupahGamuh said:
Well, considering that the first Crysis and it's standalone expansion Warhead were pretty great, this is great news for console users, better late than never, right?.
If you have crysis, plug a 360 controller in and try to play. It's awful.

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
Baneat said:
SupahGamuh said:
If you have crysis, plug a 360 controller in and try to play. It's awful.

Doesnt change the fact that the game was pretty god awful to begin with. It wasn't fun- it was pretty much just a game company beating off to how shiny and realisitic they could make a peice of brush. Ooooh.

Control functionality is something that a lot of PC gamers are very loud about. To be honest, a controller is just more comfortable and fluid to me. I get it, you dont get macros, and a lot of you claim that a mouse and keyboard is more accurate, but I'm not buying it. I can hit a target far better on a console game than any of its PC counterparts. The controller arguement is just a weak reassurance that needs to be gotten rid of.

The fact that its coming to the consoles is a bit of a suprise, if its full retail. Usually you dont see companys bring back an older port after they release the sequel, without some serious overhauls. Be they graphical, game play, engine, etc.

I'd expect this to be an arcade re-release if the rumors are true. Although that would probably be a rather large file. Conversely, I also expect a lot of bitching from PC gamers that this somehow diminishes the original Crysis because "the controls arent as good, the graphics are worse" and other soggy arguements to help them justify spending $2000 on a computer.

Or is that just me being cynical?

Low Key

May 7, 2009
Cool I suppose. I wish they would have done it sooner though because I am abstaining from buying 360 games now that I am building a gaming PC. Raedon 6970 and a 52" screen TV! Woo!

Uber Waddles said:
Or is that just me being cynical?
Kinda, but not without justification.

HooterNanny

May 19, 2010
Okay, but who cares really? I mean, speaking from what I know about Crysis (which might be wrong this is only what I've heard), its jungle based shooter about guys in power armour fighting aliens, and the only reason that its so famous is because its so hard to run on PCs. I could be wrong, but is it actually good enough to warrant a port?