Crytek CEO: Crysis 3 Will Look as Good as Next-Gen Launch Titles

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Crytek CEO: Crysis 3 Will Look as Good as Next-Gen Launch Titles

Crysis 3 is the pinnacle of what current generation consoles can produce, says Crytek boss.

"I actually think people will be astonished that next gen launch titles from other companies might not be much different from Crysis 3," Crytek CEO Cevat Yerli told console hardware was a massive barrier for Crysis 3. [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/390113/crytek-next-gen-launch-games-might-not-look-much-different-to-crysis-3/]

Yerli went on to praise his team for creating a unique visual feel for the game that he believes has never been captured before, not even in movies. On the literal "urban jungle" setting that melds Crysis 1's rainforests with Crysis 2's cityscape, Yerli said, "It has not even been done in Hollywood. People might suggest there are similarities with I Am Legend, but that is quite different to this. I Am Legend is overgrown, but Crysis 3's urban rainforest is a whole different level of that. It has its own identity and I'm very proud of what the team achieved in this regard."

Crytek have been long-time proponents of the PC, turning only to consoles after disappointing Crysis 1 sales. Many fans felt that Crysis 2 was held back by the limitations of current gen consoles, but Crytek are aiming for Crysis 3's definitive version to appear on PC, claiming that gamers want a reason to upgrade their hardware. [http://games.on.net/2013/01/gamers-want-a-reason-to-upgrade-their-hardware-crytek-wont-be-held-back-by-consoles-for-crysis-3/]

Crysis 3 will be released for the PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 on February 19. When asked about a Wii U version of the game, Yerli said that the system is definitely powerful enough to handle it, but EA doesn't see the value [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121367-EA-Refuses-to-Bring-Crysis-3-to-Wii-U] in porting the game to Nintendo's console.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/390113/crytek-next-gen-launch-games-might-not-look-much-different-to-crysis-3/]

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I hope there certainly is more there to the PC version. Though, to be fair, Crysis 2 after the big textures and the DX11 enhancements was pretty demanding. At the time I was sporting a pair of 460's and couldn't comfortably push it all the way up. I'm looking forward to this game, but only the SP. So far, the MP offerings are as shitty as the Crysis 2 (IMO), but the SP campaign there was full of substance.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
No Duh Sherlock, tell me something I don't know! Of Course your game is gonna look as good as Next Gen Launch Titles, because Launch Titles always look like Last Gen Current games. Have you seen Condemned: Criminal Origins on the 360? It looks like a poor mans Shenmue!

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
I like how 4 million sales of an exclusive title that ran on only high-end machines from the future on a 'dying' platform is considered 'disappointing'.

FFP2

Dec 24, 2012
How about you focus on optimizing your damn engine first... And make a good game instead of just a 60$ benchmarking tool.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
I believe you, because next-gen launch titles usually look worse than their predecessors as devs figure out the architecture. Oh, and quit trying to shop out an engine to other companies, yours requires way more work and money than UE3 and that's why everyone wants theirs.

Apr 28, 2008
It'll look like next-gen launch titles because next-gen launch titles usually always look like slightly better current-gen games. It's because it's new hardware so it requires time to be used well.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
RatherDull said:
How is it that every developer owned by EA shits out their mouth shortly before release?
It's apart of the contract they sign when they side with the devil , err EA.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
RatherDull said:
How is it that every developer owned by EA shits out their mouth shortly before release?
Because some how or other they must make a game that sells as well as Call of Duty. Everyone knows that the best way to do that is with a mountain of smack talk and over stated hyperbole, look at the wonders it did for Battlefield 3.

Now, your attitude is a far cry from what I expect from the loyal EA following, so stop having an existential crysis, put on your war face and get out onto the battlefield!

CAPTCHA: over the top
Bloody hell, it can anticipate my every move...

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
A game that is next gen laucnh title will look as good as next gen launch title.
oh wiat, they are releasing crysis 3 on current gen consoles? what happened to pushing the limits of the machines? why you want your game to look like crysis 1? i myself dont care about graphics but i always respected crytek for pushing it just a bit further so other games have to catch up and progressing the PC hardware, but this seems to be them caving in the "oh well we will jtu lie about game looknig good and put it on 8 year old machines".

ThePuzzldPirate

Oct 4, 2009
Seriously EA, people would like you more if you just kept your mouth shut. Telling us your game is going to look as good as launch games when most launch game are ports from the last generation or rushed games to make launch, who would of thought.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
Crysis 2 wasn't held back by console limitations...it was held back by being a shitty game. To be honest, I couldn't give a shit if the game looked like real life. If it's linear as shit, with a crappy story, a 'super awesome nanosuit' which depletes energy at doing fuckin' anything except standing still (And Armour mode in 2 used energy just by standing still and not even taking hits), and a lack of any decent characterisation (Remember how Prophet is now back? And how he died at the beginning of 2? Which means he effectivly took over Alcatraz's body? And how that was no one seemed to give a fuck at how disturbing what was happening to Alcatraz was(Also due to shitty writing)?)...Crysis 3 needs more than shiny as christ graphics to be a good game.