CryTek: Crysis 2 Runs Better on PS3

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
CryTek: Crysis 2 Runs Better on PS3

CryTek reports that it has had no problem bringing Crysis 2 [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=75103] to the PS3, and in fact gets slightly better performance out of it.

While some developers might not like the PS3, or feel the need for a special team to develop for it, Carl Jones, Crytek's director of business, has said that CryTek has avoided the problems faced by other developers in working with the console.

"We haven't found it more difficult to develop for PS3,"he said, "We're lucky in the fact that we've come to the generation slightly later than other people. The ones who were trying to build the first technology and games were surprised at how different the PS3 was. We took our time and worked out the right way to approach it."

"At the moment, we're getting slightly more performance from PS3 compared to 360," he added. "[But] "I'm very confident that products using CryEngine 3 are going to come out as the best looking, or at least in the top three, on every platform."

Check out our preview of Crysis 2 here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/op-ed/7398-Preview-Crysis-2-Blowing-Up-Consoles-in-New-York-City].

Source: 1up [http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3178817]

Apr 28, 2008
Hear that? That is the sound of fanboys...

OT: Doesn't matter much to me. I'm getting it on the PC, so bleh.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
Well duh, a major selling point of it has always been its superior hardware.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Good to hear, especially since I'm planning on buying the PS3 version.
That's about all I have to say at the moment.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
Irridium said:

I'd love to get it on PC, but my laptop can only just about handle CryEngine2, it'd ignite if it tried to run this.

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
Funny the first GDC reveal had Crytek's CEO talking about how hard the PS3 was as a technology platform to develop for so its good to see that the final product works.

Apackof12Ninjas

Oct 12, 2009
"At the moment, we're getting slightly more performance from PS3 compared to 360," he added. "[But] "I'm very confident that products using CryEngine 3 are going to come out as the best looking, or at least in the top three, on every platform."
Funny how the word "slightly" in the quote got changed to "better" in the headline.

Lets hope that the PS3's slimmed dragon can take on the challenge and rise the occasion. DF2 proved it can be done. Snap to it Crytek!

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
The guy says 'slightly more performance', but the forums and fanboys will turn that into massive leaps and bounds better.
I honestly wonder what 'slightly more performance' is?
10 to 20 more frames per second? Less? More?
10 second better loading times? 5? 20?

I wish he actually went into a bit more detail, but oh well.
The game looks amazing on the 360 videos and screenshots I've seen, so I'll wait for a demo before I worry about 'performance'.

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
Baby Tea said:
The guy says 'slightly more performance', but the forums and fanboys will turn that into massive leaps and bounds better.
I honestly wonder what 'slightly more performance' is?
10 to 20 more frames per second? Less? More?
10 second better loading times? 5? 20?

I wish he actually went into a bit more detail, but oh well.
The game looks amazing on the 360 videos and screenshots I've seen, so I'll wait for a demo before I worry about 'performance'.
http://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfoundry

they don't have anything ATM but they probably will and before anyone else does

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Leaper said:
Uh oh... this will ignite another (retarded) fanboi war.
yeah I can see it now...but, not surprised at all by it. I suppose trying to single out a console.

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
Assassin Xaero said:
Logan Westbrook said:
"At the moment, we're getting slightly more performance from PS3 compared to 360,"
So is it better overall (360 and PC) or just better than the 360?
"Of course, the console versions almost certainly won't be able to compare with the PC version, which is sure to look and perform better than either console version, provided you have a computer that can run it."

Pretty much says it all

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Assassin Xaero said:
Logan Westbrook said:
"At the moment, we're getting slightly more performance from PS3 compared to 360,"
So is it better overall (360 and PC) or just better than the 360?
I highly doubt it's a reference to the PC version.

Like it or not, Crytek's engine being what it is, it's state of the art usually. That implies that the PC version would be way ahead of the console versions;
The latest PC hardware is just too fast to be compared to a console...

dallan262

Apr 24, 2008
it just goes to show when a company rather than do a valve and try create a game for the ps3 then realise its to difficult and give up on the platform (or like the many others that port the ps3 version over from the 360 ) crytek stuck at it and created a better game because of it ... hard work pays off!

i have both consoles now though so its all good :) still think XBL should be free or atleat muuuch cheaper!

Fudgo

Apr 11, 2009
Megacherv said:
Irridium said:

I'd love to get it on PC, but my laptop can only just about handle CryEngine2, it'd ignite if it tried to run this.
CryEngine 3 is supposed to have lower system requirements than CryEngine 2, so it should be easier to run.

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
"We saw that the PS3 was different, so we took the time to learn how to develop for it"

Bravo. See? Using your brain and learning things helps make better games.

Maybe Valve will finally drop its stupid excuse and just admit they don't like the console. :p*

*I'm referring to the awful TF2 port the PS3 got, I mean come on Valve would working with sony have been that hard?

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
dallan262 said:
it just goes to show when a company rather than do a valve and try create a game for the ps3 then realise its to difficult and give up on the platform (or like the many others that port the ps3 version over from the 360 ) crytek stuck at it and created a better game because of it ... hard work pays off!

i have both consoles now though so its all good :) still think XBL should be free or atleat muuuch cheaper!
How do you know it's better? sure, improved performance.

But Sun age runs great on my PC, while Saints Row 2 is borderline unplayable on anything but the lowest settings (It was a terrible port, the guys who did that have no excuse).
SR2 is still the better game (no thanks to the scum who ported it, who I hear were a different team to the devs).

Wait until the game is out to pass judgement.