Crytek Denies DirectX 11 Patch for Crysis 2

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Crytek Denies DirectX 11 Patch for Crysis 2

Crytek says a report of an upcoming patch that will enable DirectX 11 support in Crysis 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Crysis-2-Pc/dp/B002BS47YE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1301427995&sr=8-3] is unconfirmed and inaccurate.

Last week, German site Maximum PC [http://www.pc-max.de/news/spiele/crysis-2-spekulationen-um-directx-11-und-details-zum-ersten-patch]] reported that a patch was being readied for the PC version of Crysis 2 that would enable support for DirectX 11 and add an "Advanced Graphics" menu allowing for finely-tuned performance tweaks. It was good news for those with the latest and greatest cutting-edge hardware, but there's one minor problem: according to Crytek, it ain't so.

"No patch was ever confirmed, I have no idea why this website even posted such information," Crytek community rep "Cry-Tom" MyCrysis.com [http://www.mycrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=190807&sid=1b12fea8950a8bbfd6efbc9104069231#p190807], then it isn't genuine."

PC-Max also cited a tweet from Crytek's principal R&D graphics programmer Tiago Sousa [http://twitter.com/CRYTEK_TIAGO] commenting on the "highly anticipated" patch, but there's no sign of such a tweet now.

Whatever's going on, it's obviously not a flat-out denial that a DirectX 11 patch exists, just that it's not going to be available today, as PC-Max reported. Hardware enthusiast types may still get their giggles, they'll just have to wait awhile before it happens.

via: Blue's [http://www.bluesnews.com/s/120173/crysis-2-directx-11-patch-debunked]

Feb 13, 2008
Sure, why confirm a patch that would actually make more people buy the game?

What is it about so many publishers that they deliberately antagonise their core demographic?

Tigurus

Apr 14, 2009
At the moment I rather want them to kill them bugs before I want to see a DX11 patch.
Yes DX11 maybe be very nice and advanced options are great to get the right amount of frames and visuals.

But I want to melee when I say to melee! *raises fist*
And I want to play multiplayer without getting disconnected and starting all over again!

Bah...I had hopes for this game...
If Skyrim, Mass Effect 3 and The Witcher 2 will disappoint me launch...I will have only faith in the bargain bin.

Apr 28, 2008
I'm surprised it wasn't supported at launch. Which I believe is just stupid, especially when you hype up developing for the PC and all that.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Irridium said:
I'm surprised it wasn't supported at launch. Which I believe is just stupid, especially when you hype up developing for the PC and all that.
I really wish I could judge on how well they developed this game for the PC, sadly I'm still stuck on the startup screen, I just can't seem to find the darn start key...

Darktau

Totally Ergo Proxy
Mar 10, 2009
I can just smell the incoming rage. But I'm having fun with measly DX9 and the Hall map just looks like a 1080p killzone :D

Apr 28, 2008
Rednog said:
Irridium said:
I really wish I could judge on how well they developed this game for the PC, sadly I'm still stuck on the startup screen, I just can't seem to find the darn start key...
It should be right between the "Ctrl" and "Alt" key. Some keyboards replace it with the Windows Logo though. But it doesn't matter, pressing it doesn't seem to do anything.

May 25, 2010
Irridium said:
Rednog said:
Irridium said:
It should be right between the "Ctrl" and "Alt" key. Some keyboards replace it with the Windows Logo though. But it doesn't matter, pressing it doesn't seem to do anything.
You didn't get it, did you?

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:

What is it about so many publishers that they deliberately antagonise their core demographic?
According to Steam stats (which I'd say is a fair indicator of Gamer community) 5.6% of users have both DX11 capable cards and OSes. Hardly a "core demographic" simply a very noisy one.

Apr 28, 2008
GeneticallyModifiedDucks said:
Irridium said:
Rednog said:
Irridium said:
I got it, I was just trying to be funny...

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
Grey Carter said:

According to Steam stats (which I'd say is a fair indicator of Gamer community) 5.6% of users have both DX11 capable cards and OSes. Hardly a "core demographic" simply a very noisy one.
More to the point, I have yet to see ANY game take advantage of DX11 effects. Hell, in the original Crysis DX10 made hardly any difference whatsoever.

Regardless, the fact that I can run Crysis 2 on Very High with a smooth framerate is a VERY welcome result of CryEngine 3. Still looks pretty damn good too.

Roboto

Nov 18, 2009
Irridium said:
Rednog said:
Irridium said:
I didn't. I've never been asked to press start.

HerbertTheHamster

Apr 6, 2009
Roboto said:
Irridium said:
Rednog said:
Irridium said:
I didn't. I've never been asked to press start.
Obviously you need to adjust your T.V. then.

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
HerbertTheHamster said:
Obviously you need to adjust your T.V. then.
Maybe I'm the exception to the rule, but I bought the game on release day and both of those were fixed by the time I started the game.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Tigurus said:
But I want to melee when I say to melee! *raises fist*
And I want to play multiplayer without getting disconnected and starting all over again!
They did patch the game yesterday and the multiplayer seems more stable. I was playing for about an hour today and no disconnects, before the patch I would probably have had a couple in that time.

Rednog said:
Irridium said:
I just press enter like it says.

Feb 13, 2008
Grey Carter said:

What it doesn't show though, is the people who a) Want a DX11 card and b) Would then give crecedence to the "PC version isn't dumbed down".

A vocal minority often has a large crowd behind it. Even if they're not working on it, it's a good idea to springboard off.

JeanLuc761 said:
More to the point, I have yet to see ANY game take advantage of DX11 effects.
So, perhaps saying "We might do this", would be a good idea?

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Grey Carter said:

What it doesn't show though, is the people who a) Want a DX11 card and b) Would then give crecedence to the "PC version isn't dumbed down".

A vocal minority often has a large crowd behind it. Even if they're not working on it, it's a good idea to springboard off.

JeanLuc761 said:
More to the point, I have yet to see ANY game take advantage of DX11 effects.
So, perhaps saying "We might do this", would be a good idea?
Eh. Appealing to a potential demographic is far less appealing to companies than appealing to one that definitely exists. The fact is the vast majority of PC users have mid-range-at-best hardware and want games optimized for mid range machines. Despite Crysis' reputation for being tech heavy the truly hardcore graphics-uber-alles gamer made up a far smaller proportion of sales than most people seem to think.

That being said, I find the lack of graphics sliders and options in Crysis 2 disapointing. One of the reasons I play PC games is because I can tweak games to my particular wants. Having to add commands to the .exe just to disable motion blur is... well... ghetto.

CCountZero

Sep 20, 2008
Grey Carter said:
Having to add commands to the .exe just to disable motion blur is... well... ghetto.
Crysis 2 Advanced Graphics Options Application
http://www.incrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=33008

Support the mod community. They rule.

As a sidenote, they better be coming up with our DX11.
I can deal with having to wait a bit, 'cus after all, better to have the game now and DX11 later, than having to wait for both.

The amount of BS the people who bought it for PC has already had to put up with is crazy.