Crytek Gets Cute With Fibble Flick 'n' Roll

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Crytek Gets Cute With Fibble Flick 'n' Roll

Get ready for the brand-new game from Crytek, the studio that gave us the gut-splattering action of Far Cry and Crysis: a mobile puzzler calledFibble Flick 'n' Roll.

Remember how in Far Cry 2? [http://www.amazon.com/Crysis-Maximum-Pc/dp/B001Q96ZNU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1331063451&sr=8-3] Good times! So it's no surprise that Crytek's next big game has been revealed as Fibble Flick 'n' Roll, a physics-based puzzle game for iOS and Android mobiles.

Wait a second, that's totally surprising. A cute, casual puzzle game from the studio that decided that normal, unaugmented humans can't kill hard enough?

"Going mobile is an incredibly exciting step for us as a game development company," said Crytek CEO Cevat Yerli. "This allows us to get back to our roots, experiment and focus our energy on creating great gameplay experiences while still keeping Crytek's high production values."

Fibble is a cute, curious extraterrestrial who crashes his flying saucer into a suburban human home, becoming separated from his crew in the process. Now he has to search the house room by room and use "Mini creatures" to gather his crew and get home.

The move into mobile will expose the studio to "a whole new generation of players who've yet to play a Crytek game," explained General Manager Nick Button-Brown, presumably referring to the hordes of people who sink countless hours into Angry Birds and Where's My Water but would never even think about taking Far Cry or Crysis for a spin. It may seem a little weird - or a lot weird - but mobile is where the money is, kids.

Curious? I can't imagine why you wouldn't be. Fibble Flick 'n' Roll is set to come out this spring, and you can find out more at fibble.com [http://www.fibble.com/].

UPDATE: As pointed out by RaNDM G, Crytek was not involved in the development of Far Cry 2. But I'm going to leave that bit about crash-and-burn attacks on enemy encampments anyway, because it's awesome.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Man, I can't wait for that video to get a million billion dislikes and people to start raging about how "WE'VE BEEN BETRAYED" because a Dev stopped making their precious FPS for a few months.

RaNDM G

Apr 28, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Or how you could ram a truck into an enemy encampment, blow it up and then finish off the half-immolated survivors with a couple of bullets to the face in Far Cry 2? [http://www.amazon.com/Far-Cry-2-Pc/dp/B000X9FV5M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331063481&sr=8-1]
Far Cry 2 was by Ubisoft. Crytek was not involved.

As for Fibble, I find this to be a disturbing turn of events. I want fun games, not casual games.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
You know, if I were an alien, intent on taking over the world, I'd make myself to look cute, cuddly and appealing to humans.

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
RaNDM G said:
Andy Chalk said:
Or how you could ram a truck into an enemy encampment, blow it up and then finish off the half-immolated survivors with a couple of bullets to the face in Far Cry 2? [http://www.amazon.com/Far-Cry-2-Pc/dp/B000X9FV5M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331063481&sr=8-1]
Far Cry 2 was by Ubisoft. Crytek was not involved.

As for Fibble, I find this to be a disturbing turn of events. I want fun games, not casual games.
Why do the two have to be mutually exclusive. I for one think this game could be a lot of fun.

In fact, I would love it if more devs tried mobile excursions like this. I think there's a lot to be said for smaller games such as Angry Birds.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Frozenbyte gave us Shadowgrounds and Trine, two great games that could not be more different. Why not the same from Crytek?

RaNDM G

Apr 28, 2009
@Andy: But in Frozenbyte's example, one was a top-down shooter and the other was a platformer. I'd consider both of them to be casual.

@Lava: It's a downgrade. A casual game is something you pick up, play for five minutes at a time and put away. For someone like me, it looses its charm after a day or two. Unless you particularly like committing pig genocide or defending your house from zombies using incredibly deadly plants, it doesn't have much lasting appeal.

I'm not saying casual games are bad. I just want Crytek to make a good, fun game that will keep me hooked for more than a day. If Fibble raises the standard for the mobile market, that's a good thing.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Well, one nice thing about casual games is that they're pretty quick and cheap to make. The sort of thing that makes for a good thing to do when they're tapped out of ideas and need a distraction while they recharge their creative batteries. (Not too much unlike playing them.)

Granted, it doesn't look like this is going to be anything to write home about. It'll probably be closer to Angry Birds than, say, World of Goo.