Crytek Had Trouble Bringing Crysis 2 to Consoles

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Crytek Had Trouble Bringing Crysis 2 to Consoles

Crysis 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Crysis-2-Xbox-360/dp/B002BSA1MQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278952853&sr=1-2] is coming to consoles, but according to developer Crytek, it was not an easy fit.

If you ask most gamers what they most remember about Crysis and chances are that the graphics will get mentioned pretty often. But those impressive graphics required equally impressive hardware, and as a result, Crysis was limited to a PC release. Crysis 2, on the other hand, is multi-platform, which has always been a goal of Crytek's, but has proved problematic.

"That's what we always wanted to do. The big challenge during the development of CryENGINE3 has been scaling the engine whilst maintaining the visual quality and performance," said Crytek CEO Cevat Yerli. "This is always challenging; problems occurred of course, but we're really proud that our teams have managed to solve them as we proved in line with several engine presentations and will prove [this] with Crysis 2."

Crysis 2 is set in New York, which will hopefully be a little less taxing on processors than the wide-open tropical islands of the first game, and should be released sometime this fall.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=241026?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-News-RSS]

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
As long as the PC version isn't gimped too severely to...for lack of a better word..."pander" to the console hardware limitations, I have no problem with what Crytek is trying to do. Multi-platform is a great thing, IF the developers optimize it for each system presented rather than going for the lowest denominator.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I am looking forward to this...the first one was so gorgeos so I can only imagine how they would have improved on it...

Although...heh, I bet it was tight as mentioned...but been able to play it on console will be shweet!

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Mackheath said:
Crytek, we don't give a shit about your steroid-taking game. We want TimeSplitters 4 goddamnit!
[HEADING=1]I second this mother f*cking motion[/HEADING]

On a side note, it's cool that us console folks [small][sub]no we are not lower than you PC people[/sub][/small] are getting Crysis.

Still... I demand Timesplitters 4 damn it!

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
Crysis 2 is set in New York, which will hopefully be a little less taxing on processors than the wide-open tropical islands of the first game, and should be released sometime this fall.
And probably 100x more boring. I mean, seriously, who wants to play in New York? Even one frozen over by aliens?

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
Hardly surprising even a basic gaming PC is going to have 4x the amount of addressable memory plus at least another 512mb of video memory.
The cryengine will take up as much room as hardware allows no need to worry about it being gimped it took all the way from a 1900xt to a 5870 to comfortable run crysis at very high even then you could still take if futher with config changes, higher AA and AF.

kibayasu

Jan 3, 2008
I just hope there's some sort of story closure to the first one.

"Hell yeah, we're off to annihalate this race of cryo alie... wait, WHAT? IT'S OVER?"

Mr. Mike

Mar 24, 2010
tellmeimaninja said:
I sense an oncoming increase in hatred between PC and Console gamers...
JeanLuc761 said:
As long as the PC version isn't gimped too severely to...for lack of a better word..."pander" to the console hardware limitations,
Hmm...

But Mass Effect (the first one) has rendering trouble on the 360. This game is going to cause the console pain. I can see why it would be difficult. Here's hoping that the game won't suck.
I don't think the game itself will suck, if that's what you're alluding to. However, if you meant how it runs, then yeah it'll be interesting to see how they optimised it for both the 360 and PS3 and the image/video comparisons. Not for flamebait, but to see how they play to each of the system's hardware.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I still have to play the first Crysis. To do that though I am going to need better RAM and also get a better video card. Dragon Age: Origins starts to lag after an hour or two of being played on my computer. That pretty tells me I have to upgrade.

mysterj

Mar 27, 2009
gof22 said:
I still have to play the first Crysis. To do that though I am going to need better RAM and also get a better video card. Dragon Age: Origins starts to lag after an hour or two of being played on my computer. That pretty tells me I have to upgrade.
Actually DAO starts to have issues after awhile for everybody, regardless of hardware. But yeah, might need the latest graphic card to run Crysis 2 max.