Crytek Invades Homefront Sequel, Ousting Kaos

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Nickolai77 said:
NLS said:
Hannibal942 said:
It would honestly be more interesting if Crytek looks at this whole event from a European angle. The EU coming to invade the beaches of North Korean controlled America a la Normandy? Hell freaking yes!
Oh man, that would be SWEET. The possibility is there, as they mentioned before that if all turned out well, they would make homefront games from different perspectives.
Heh, i can imagine German panzer brigades sweeping across the American Mid-West and French soldiers liberating American towns from Nazi Korean occupation. Whilst British troops stationed in Washington joke that the last time they were here it was to burn down the white house.

It's not often us Europeans get to do some military dick-waving :p
And then maybe the French could have their "Eisenhower/Montgomery, we are here" moment. Makes me wonder how that would sell here in the states, lol.

I know Fox News would have a ball with it.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
The_Emperor said:
I find the whole premise of the game pretty ridiculous anyway, I wouldn't touch it with a stick.

America is obsessed with getting invaded it seems, by aliens, by Germans, by Russians, by Koreans

I'm waiting for the one about the Chinese Communist Nazi Aliens

No offense but there are a heck of a lot of games out there about America being invaded by this that or the other.
Funnily enough, now Crytek has two franchises dealing with America being invaded and fighting Koreans.

Also, didn't Homefront and Crysis 2 move the same amount of copies?

joshthor

Aug 18, 2009
sweet. i beat homefront, and it has potential, however, there were so many developmental choice blunders that i know crytek can avoid, so im excited about this. hopefully it doesnt have you finish the game right BEFORE the climax next game.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
It will be really good until the second act when they introduce the aliens/mutants/vampire-monkeys. Oh Crytek you and your game wrecking enemies.

This is quite exciting, they know how to tell a story even if all their stories are superficial and cliched, and their human AI is quite fun to go up against. It could work well, and they have an engine already built that is better than the Unreal engine.

The_Emperor

Mar 18, 2010
mattaui said:
I've never understood the bizarre negative reaction to speculative fiction or games involving an invasion of the US. I guess, you're right, we're just so damn awesome that it would likely never happen, right? That's probably not what you wanted to hear, though. I think a tenacious enough enemy, if they could hold out long enough (especially in the absence of strategic nuclear weapons), could at least require a full scale military response. If they managed to sabotage the national highway system at crucial junctions, it would delay American response even further.

But a United Europe then coming to America's rescue (having a pitifully small sea lift capability at present), that makes perfect sense, right? I'll see your paranoid military fantasies and raise you a wistful desire for a return to empire.

Maybe Crytek can do the sequel about the EU falling apart in the aftermath of the American invasion, since it's headed that way quite swiftly as we speak. Destroying Europe (again) is such a retread, but I guess it's what you people want.
Europe was never an Empire, a lot of nations have had an Empire in Europe but there has never been a European Empire, so it could never return to one.

There will never be a United Europe ever there has never been such a thing, but I think NATO would have a good chance of rescuing America from an invasion that would never happen.

Speculation about invasions and so forth are pretty silly, it would probably be another cold war if any and most likely between America and China because the Chinese want their money back.

Doesn't sell games though I suppose.

I wouldn't say Europe is collapsing though, perhaps as a federal entity yes, Greece is done, Italy is done, it's more like a reform where European nations indebt smaller European nations in order to "save Europe" then kick them out of the Euro/force them to pull out of it anyway. I'll be suprised if Greece doesn't default.

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
Is this going to be Homefront:London then? You did promised!
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/252765/homefront-london-planned-by-thq/

dantoddd

Sep 18, 2009
thaluikhain said:
I still want to see a game about a Mexican border official keeping them US refugees out of his country.
That would be amazing. I'd pay 100 bucks for that.

My suggestion to crytek is to set up a scenario where the australians liberate america

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
This is interesting.

Hannibal942 said:
It would honestly be more interesting if Crytek looks at this whole event from a European angle. The EU coming to invade the beaches of North Korean controlled America a la Normandy? Hell freaking yes!
Okay, if they did that, I would cry... tears of JOY!!!

That just sounds like several different shades of awesome.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Homefront's biggest issue was lack of atmosphere and story, and Crytek is really bad with atmosphere and story... this will be a winner.

For christs sake Crytek spank up your development tools and start selling your engine, because you are really really awesome engineers, but engineers don't make good artists and those middle of the road shooters really don't serve any purpose.

Raithnor

Jul 26, 2009
The_Emperor said:
I find the whole premise of the game pretty ridiculous anyway, I wouldn't touch it with a stick.

America is obsessed with getting invaded it seems, by aliens, by Germans, by Russians, by Koreans

I'm waiting for the one about the Chinese Communist Nazi Aliens

No offense but there are a heck of a lot of games out there about America being invaded by this that or the other.

It's as if Red Dawn was mandatory viewing for games designers.

(snip)
The logic behind it is if you're defending your own territory that automatically makes you the good guys. It's kind of the same notion behind a Zombie Apocalypse, it gives people carte blanche to act like murderous thugs without any guilt because the rules of society have gone out the window.

My biggest problem with the whole premise is the fact the North Koreans can barely feed their own people. The only way they could do that is if space aliens decided to sell the super-advanced weaponry for lulz.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
Homefront was a laughable failure. I feel sorry for Kaos, they were really banking on this thing to be successful, but the host of things wrong with it just simply made that impossible.

Maybe Crytek will improve upon their efforts. But I hope they put the story on some sort of steroids too, lengthen the campaign, add more character development, Improve dem' graphics, make it a seriously strong contender to compete with Battlefield and COD. Because it did have that potential, even though it fell several thousand meters from the mark.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Irridium said:
I'd want the Russians to do it. Because lol.

Give it to the Men of War guys and make it an RTS. That'd be bitchin'.
Only if it contains "guys, this is bad" as a line, delivered exactly as in the first MoW. And they finally add a "go fetch your own damn ammo" button to infantry. MoW:V is terrible at this. "I have a dragunov, 20 shots for it in total and am standing on a pile of magazines. No, I'm not going pick one up until you click on one of the single pixel large things"

Corporal Yakob

Nov 28, 2009
Wolverines!

Well this is good news, I enjoyed Homefront having a healthy (or maybe not so much) Cold Warrior mentality and despite some harder to swallow aspects of the storyline, thought it was a good enough aspect-now if they can just tie up some loose ends and make the campaign longer all will be well!

What I'd really like to see though is another Freedom Fighters.....

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
The_Emperor said:
mattaui said:
I've never understood the bizarre negative reaction to speculative fiction or games involving an invasion of the US. I guess, you're right, we're just so damn awesome that it would likely never happen, right? That's probably not what you wanted to hear, though. I think a tenacious enough enemy, if they could hold out long enough (especially in the absence of strategic nuclear weapons), could at least require a full scale military response. If they managed to sabotage the national highway system at crucial junctions, it would delay American response even further.

But a United Europe then coming to America's rescue (having a pitifully small sea lift capability at present), that makes perfect sense, right? I'll see your paranoid military fantasies and raise you a wistful desire for a return to empire.

Maybe Crytek can do the sequel about the EU falling apart in the aftermath of the American invasion, since it's headed that way quite swiftly as we speak. Destroying Europe (again) is such a retread, but I guess it's what you people want.
Europe was never an Empire, a lot of nations have had an Empire in Europe but there has never been a European Empire, so it could never return to one.

There will never be a United Europe ever there has never been such a thing, but I think NATO would have a good chance of rescuing America from an invasion that would never happen.

Speculation about invasions and so forth are pretty silly, it would probably be another cold war if any and most likely between America and China because the Chinese want their money back.

Doesn't sell games though I suppose.

I wouldn't say Europe is collapsing though, perhaps as a federal entity yes, Greece is done, Italy is done, it's more like a reform where European nations indebt smaller European nations in order to "save Europe" then kick them out of the Euro/force them to pull out of it anyway. I'll be suprised if Greece doesn't default.
Well, if there's anyone who I'd want to discuss empire with, it would definitely be The_Emperor!

I know I wasn't clear, but I had meant a return to empire in that most European countries themselves had empires at some point, some more recent and more grand than others. It's just a conveniently forgotten concept whenever there's denigration of American power fantasies going on.

And yes, while there's never really been a united Europe, it's been trying to play act as being one with a single currency and EU constitution that's vastly unpopular. The PIIGS now have a chance to pull down the entire continent's economy with their weak economies and profligate spending, whereas before their destruction would've been contained within their own borders.

Now German and French citizens (as well as the other productive members of the EU) are being punished by a system that was, at its heart, originally set up to shackle the economic powerhouse of Germany to her weaker southern neighbors and force them to work with the French. It's almost like someone wanted to set the stage for the next war.

OCAdam

Oct 13, 2010
Robert Ewing said:
Homefront was a laughable failure. I feel sorry for Kaos, they were really banking on this thing to be successful, but the host of things wrong with it just simply made that impossible.

Maybe Crytek will improve upon their efforts. But I hope they put the story on some sort of steroids too, lengthen the campaign, add more character development, Improve dem' graphics, make it a seriously strong contender to compete with Battlefield and COD. Because it did have that potential, even though it fell several thousand meters from the mark.
Knowing Crytek, the campaign might actually get to be worth most of the cash. I quite enjoyed the length of C2 (as well as the generally constant change of enemy (versus Crysis 1 and Warhead)). Story.... it's really a toss-up. That basically also leads to character development being a toss-up as well.

We know the graphics will improve. Who knows, it might just break everyone's computers (and consoles!) just like Crysis 1 did for the majority back when it was released! Well... too bad it likely won't have near the same movement capabilities there were in C2. That was one of my favorite things.