Crytek: There Isn't Enough Interest in TimeSplitters 4

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Squilookle said:
Humour: I'm not saying Halo needed humour- I think it actually did pretty well without it- it's just that in an age where everything is a serious tough-as-nails shooter, Timesplitters stands right out by sheer virtue of daring to be less than serious. And you know what? It actually didn't do half-bad at it, either.
Ahem. That's what the character pics were in aid of. You can say humor, but having a playable gold fish (in a mechanized bowl) is an example of said humor.

Although you make a wonderful point about bots. Honestly, I don't like shooters enough to play Halo, so I had no idea it lacked bots from the get go (I know that later versions did, but I didn't know if they were still in Halo 1 or not). Now that you've confirmed that they aren't there, I can nod at that and say - "yeah, what Squilookle said."

That said, as I just mentioned, I don't like shooters. I play Timesplitters and Mass Effect 3 in SPITE of them being shooters, not because. Timesplitters because it is wonderfully quirky, funny, and full of variety - and I don't need to play online with **shudder** real people who aren't in the room with me.

Oh, and that's another thing - LOCAL Multiplayer. I can play Timesplitters with my friends who are sitting on the couch, rather than strangers from around the world.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Bara_no_Hime said:
I had no idea it lacked bots from the get go (I know that later versions did, but I didn't know if they were still in Halo 1 or not)
Actually, there has never been a Halo game with multiplayer bots. Not even Reach had them.

Pretty tragic really, since not only did Halo's lack of bots directly trigger the drought of bot supported shooters since, but the AI in Halo was already capable of flanking and making tactical decisions on the fly. Adapting them into multiplayer bots would have been more straightforward for Halo that it would have been for most other less-capable shooters of the time, and if other shooters could do it, you'd think Halo could have made the effort too.

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
After fighting through a mansion full of zombies and mutant deer-men...
(sigh) Jo-Beth was going to be a badass sexy nun fighting zombies with a chainsaw

But no, they want to focus more on the next faceless goon in a nano-suit.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Endocrom said:
(sigh) Jo-Beth was going to be a badass sexy nun fighting zombies with a chainsaw
Are you sure that was going to be her? I thought that was just some random chainsaw totin' nun artwork?

Mar 26, 2008
I'd be all over a new Timesplitters game like white on rice. My brother and I were talking the other day how we had four Deerhaunter bots on a multiplayer map and they all came charging in the room at once, dual wielding semi-automatics. It was pants soilingly terrifying.

icnfde

Dec 27, 2007
Well, it's not happening now.

http://megagames.com/news/timesplitters-4-was-axed-because-it-had-too-much-content

Former Free Radical developers, Steve Ellis and Karl Hilton, revealed that TimeSplitters 4 was shot down by different publishers? marketing departments because they weren?t able to sum up its diverse characters and environments in a simple ad campaign.

"A small playable demo was shown to several publishers, but it didn't attract any publishing deals,? Ellis explained. "We pitched [Timesplitters] to a lot of publishers, and from each of them we got the same two responses. Firstly, they would ask what happened with Haze. We were the company that made a series of high-rated shooters and then we had released Haze, which wasn't as well received. This worried them."