Crytek UK Testing the Waters for New TimeSplitters Game

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Crytek UK Testing the Waters for New TimeSplitters Game

The TimeSplitters series could soon make a triumphant return from its years in developmental limbo.

Crytek UK, formerly known as Free Radical Design, says it is talking to publishers about what it will work on after it gets done with the multiplayer portion of Crysis 2, and the possibility of reviving the TimeSplitters series has come up. Managing director Karl Hilton said that Crytek was getting some positive responses from the publishers, although he was aware that it might not be just as easy as picking up where it left off.

He said that Crytek UK was essentially discussing three options with publishers: whether to begin work on a new IP, to make a "classic" TimeSplitters games, or to update the series for a modern audience. The TimeSplitters games had been a product of their time, he explained, and of where they were made, and because of this, the games had performed differently in different territories. This meant that everyone that Crytek had spoken to was aware of the TimeSplitter games, but some looked at it as a successful series, while others saw a series that never quite reached its full potential.

Should a publisher decide that it would rather like another Timesplitters game, Hilton said that Crytek had no plans to ditch the series distinctive personality to try and get a wider audience, but at the same time it was conscious about making a product that only had niche appeal in a very competitive market. "You need to be trying to sell everywhere," he said. "[Y]ou can't make something bland and generic because there are plenty of those. It's [about] getting that character and personality into a game, but not disenfranchising a whole set of people who might otherwise buy it ... When you play it you should feel from the way it plays and the way it looks what it is you're playing, otherwise you can get a very mediocre product."

The last TimeSplitters game - TimeSplitters: Future Perfect [http://www.amazon.com/Time-Splitters-Future-Perfect-Playstation-2/dp/B0006ZJP8M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1288640840&sr=1-1 ] - came out in 2005 for Xbox, Gamecube and PlayStation 2. Free Radical announced a sequel in 2007, but after the poor performance of PS3 exclusive shooter Haze forced the company into administration, and the subsequent acquisition of the studio by Crytek, the project was put on hold indefinitely. It would be great to see another TimeSplitters game, as not only does the series have a great multiplayer component, it's also one of the few shooter franchises to prominently feature monkeys. Just imagine it, the gorgeous CryEngine 3, used to render a cartoon primate. Who doesn't want to see that?

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-11-01-timesplitters-crytek-uk-talking-to-pubs]

Luke5515

Aug 25, 2008
There is a god!
Anyway, I just busted out the game to play some virus. Now I have to unlock everything.

skitskat

Apr 14, 2009
i think i speak for everyone when i said the following:

WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT

*goes away to play some timesplitters 2*

Torque669

Apr 21, 2009
Let me be the first to say ... HELL FUCKING YEAH.

I hope they dont "update the series for a modern audience" because that will mean a COD style levelling up system and that wont fit for Timesplitters. If they made a crazy multiplayer game with dozens of characters as they have done before, they're guarenteed a success.

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
I think an HD remake of TS2, or a "best bits" compilation of 1-3 would also be good.

If they're going to make a new game though, it HAS to be a "classic" game. The series was unique. Rebranding it would ruin it.

scornedbythenine

Nov 26, 2009
i literally prayed for this last night i owe god 1 trip to church as promised, which religion? ILL NEVAR TELL MWUHAHAAHAH

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
It's time to split! AGAIN!

Best shooter out there. I'm so hoping that this goes through!

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
I would love a new TimeSplitters game (we need more funny games, gosh darn it!), but if they do make one, please, please, PLEASE fix the aiming. The aiming in TimeSplitters 2 was horrid. And keep the level editor. That thing was awesome!

scornedbythenine

Nov 26, 2009
tomtom94 said:
I think an HD remake of TS2, or a "best bits" compilation of 1-3 would also be good.

If they're going to make a new game though, it HAS to be a "classic" game. The series was unique. Rebranding it would ruin it.
exactly the amount of characters with different abilitys was part of the series identity if they add a generic class system ill tear crytek uk apart o_0 RAWR

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
more timesplitters!?! YES! a Million YES!

...wait... DNF, TimeSplitters"4", a new Kid Icarus. somethings not right here...

Apr 28, 2008

[HEADING=1]FUCK YES![/HEADING]

I will pay any amount of money for a new Timesplitters game. Games these days are boring and same-y. Timesplitters is fun, unique, and interesting. We need a new Timesplitters game. Please, for the love of all that is holy and good, make it. Make it please.

Have Crytek UK make it, have the original team make it(if possible).

It has a charm and personality unlike any other game, and its an absolute joy. The multiplayer is the most fun I've ever had while playing games. The bots are fun to play with. 4 player split-screen is fun, and the map editor of the games is the best I've ever used. Simple enough that anyone can get into, deep enough that you can make story missions with it. Each game was a seperate experience that, instead of doing the standard "same old stuff with some new stuff" formula like most sequels, did something all their own. This means each game has something you will not experience in the others. The characters are unique, funny, and all have their own little personality. And considering there are 150+(!) selectable characters for multiplayer, thats quite a feat. I could turn this into a giant essay about why Timesplitters is the greatest series ever made, but I'll stop here.

Please, bring back Timesplitters. Please.

Also, one final note. Stay the fuck away from regenerating health and only being able to carry 2 weapons.

Mehall

Feb 1, 2010
Ok, I slightly freaked out some people I work with with my enthusiasm for Super Meat Boy both before and after (and I work in a games shop)

If TS4 gets announced I'll be on the fucking MOON.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Ok, now this makes me very happy.

Remake or a new game I doesn't matter as long as I get a new HD Timesplitters.

LittleWings

May 17, 2010
Yes!! I really hope they make a new one. I loved that game, and still do. Virus mode is possible the most fun anyone can have multiplayer on a console game.

With Shotguns as the only weapon.

Kouen

Yea, Furry. Deal With It!
Mar 23, 2010
this news makes me want to boot up timespitters on my ps2!

I Need to hear some Awesome "DAMNIT!" as only Cortez can do it right

Hashandir

Jan 14, 2009
There can never be enough splitting, or monkeys for that matter. Can't wait for this game/legend to come out, just hope that they don't butcher it up.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
What!? This is just... y... y...

All one needs to know about this series is you play death match on a flying blimp while throwing bricks at a midget clown with a chaingun and a snowman with a rocket launcher!

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Wait, the guys from Free Radical are working on Crysis 2's multi-player? Holy shit, I might have to look into Crysis 2 now.

Please make a new TimeSplitters! It's still the best multiplayer game. So much fun, so many options. I love it!
tomtom94 said:
Rebranding it would ruin it.
If they take the crazy out of the game and dare call it TimeSplitters I'll never touch a Crytek product again.