Ctrl+Tab: Multitask

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
There is now a Ctrl + Tab fan group [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Ctrl-Tab]! Again, I would like to thank everyone for your support, you people are great!
Multitask

[a href='http://www.kongregate.com/games/IcyLime/multitask']
[/a]

Multitask is mostly a mental challenge then an actual game.

It begins almost insultingly easily. Balance the red ball on the black line. Use the arrow keys to adjust the line. After a few seconds wondering whether you clicked on the right link, you are told to use the up and down arrow keys to make a blue rectangle to dodge black arrows. Then use WASD to move the green square into squares before they disappear. Then... I don't know. Honestly. I've never gotten that far.

There is no points system, only the number of seconds until you slip up or miss something, which you inevitably will. Either you pay too much attention to one task, ignoring another (my personal weakness is ignoring task 2 for too long), or you confuse your hands - twice now I've tried to move the green square and stared at it in confusion as the red ball goes tumbling to its death.

Aesthetically, the game is attractive yet sparse, with light grey lines dividing the tasks, with pastel shaded background colours, and comparatively bold moving parts, such as the red ball or the green square. This means that it is at least fairly easy to notice what is happening in another task area out of the corner of your eye.

The music on the menu is peaceful and relaxing. The music in the game, by comparison, is a fast electro beat. The sudden change can be off-putting, raising adrenaline when you need to concentrate. That isn't to say it's bad music, but I would have thought the music from Higher! [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.203481-Ctrl-Tab-Higher] would be better suited to getting players through this game. Then again, you can always mute the soundtrack by pressing 'M', like you don't already have enough to think about. And I have the sneaking suspicion that the point of the music is to try to ut players off.

A major downside of Multitask is that you cannot really prepare for it. Besides knowing what is coming next, it is purely a mental thing whether you can do it. However, the games replayability comes chiefly from the fact the game doesn't take that long. The thought 'I'm wasting my time' is overshadowed by the thought that in less than two minutes you could have beaten your best time.

Mine is 69. See if you can beat me.

Bloodstain

Jun 20, 2009
First try: 59.
Second try: 90.

Damn, only 10 more to get that Kongregate badge.

EDIT: I'll try again. I shouldn't try something like that at 01:40 AM.

Rilias

Jun 7, 2010
You can trick your mind in subtle ways to score better at this.
For example try to always move the square in task 3 and never let it idle. This keeps your left hand tied to the task (which is placed on the right side Oo).

There is a fourth task when you reach the next threshold, after that the difficulty of all tasks is increased in intervals.

Cyanin

Dec 25, 2009
Great game man, WAY too tired to give it a proper try now though, but nice job.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Theres a fourth task involving the spacebar... Fuck that... I got 85. I wont be retrying. Too much strain on my mind.

PurpleLeafRave

Hyaaaa!
Feb 22, 2009
I scored 87. I'm happy with that, I'm not trying it again. I'm a drummer, so I should be good at multitasking theoretically.