Curious about the music industry? Find out stuff.

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
Trivun said:
BonsaiK said:
Trivun said:
Hmmm, one thing that's piqued my interest recently is that following the news here in the UK that singer Robbie Williams has rejoined his old group Take That for a year to work on new material, they recently announced that Robbie's 'Greatest Hits' album will be pitted directly against Take That's new album in the UK in the run-up to Christmas this year. The theory is that the band and their former band-mate agreed it would be best for everyone, because the competition between them would ensure that as they compete for Christmas No. 1, the sales of both albums ill skyrocket and they'll all benefit.

What I want to know is, how likely is it for this to be the case, and do you see it affecting sales (positively or negatively) of either album, at all?
I agree with the logic behind this, I think it's good marketing. When you think of Robbie Williams, you think of Take That, and vice versa, right? I think they'll complement each other and both sides will benefit - people buying the Robbie Williams album as a gift for their partner's birthday or whatever might be tempted to pick up the new Take That album as well. The simultaneous release will also get people talking (like we are right now), which is effectively free advertising, which will also boost sales. Fans of either artist will also be curious to see how the two albums measure up against each other. I think it could work really well, the only downfall I can see being that if either of the albums stink, then the other one might get a flu by association. That's always a risk, but nobody makes a bad album by choice. If there's any quality to the finished products I'd expect to see both do well in the charts.
That does actually make a lot of sense. And I can definitely see both doing well, Take That did exceptionally well since their comeback, what with A Beautiful World and The Circus both being high sellers. And the same goes to Robbie, despite his 2006 stage fright on tour. The only thing that concerns me now is how each will fare against the inevitable UK X Factor winner releasing their winning single, if Take That or Robbie put out anything for the singles charts. Ah well, if Facebook managed to beat Simon Cowell last year for Rage Against The Machine, I have no doubt they can succeed this year too :D.
Doesn't concern me much. There's room for Take That, Robbie AND the latest X Factor in the charts somewhere, no doubt. Will make things interesting for some, anyway.

BonsaiK

Nov 14, 2007
Ham_authority95 said:
My band is writing some songs, and if we have more than 5-6 songs by the end of summer, we were planning on recording a demo.

Since I don't want it to sound like it was recorded on someones phone, I need some advice on sound quality and recording techniques.

Also, we're a metal band and will probably need different recording advice because of it.
Give me the lineup of your band, how many members, who plays what, also gender and style of vocalists (i.e is there screaming, singing, death metal growls, etc). I need sleep but I'll answer this one in about 10 hours.

Ham_authority95

Dec 8, 2009
BonsaiK said:
Ham_authority95 said:
My band is writing some songs, and if we have more than 5-6 songs by the end of summer, we were planning on recording a demo.

Since I don't want it to sound like it was recorded on someones phone, I need some advice on sound quality and recording techniques.

Also, we're a metal band and will probably need different recording advice because of it.

BonsaiK

Nov 14, 2007
gl1koz3 said:
Saw that question about music production software/hardware.

1) Do clunky mixers and many other boxes matter anymore? It's almost as if software is getting to the point of being able to replace all that. What do you use and why?

2) Ever tried Propellerhead Reason? What would you suggest over it?
1. What I use depends on where I'm working. I don't own much gear myself, instead I'll hire a studio and use what they have. What place I hire depends on what type of project needs doing. Software absolutely can and has replaced hardware mixing, but you still need to physically plug leads into inputs and outputs to get the signal from amplifiers and microphones into the computer, so you still need a "desk" of some description just to handle the signals, if not to actually mix them. Also keep in mind that purely analog studios do exist and some bands insist on using them, or at least using analog mastering, and even one of my boss' digital 32-track studio that he built himself has valve analog/digital converters to "warm" the signal before it hits all that DSP. Also, now that everyone has gone digital you can pick up a lot of fine, fine mixing desks really cheap so if you don't care about computer mixing it's really cheap to build your own studio now...

2. ProTools is the industry standard, and that's what every digital studio I've ever been in uses. I'm sure Reason is fine, it seems to do more or less the same thing, but if I were building a studio I'd use ProTools personally because it's better the devil you know, and also the name impresses clients... for the same reason that a Gibson Les Paul is more impressive than an Epiphone Les Paul even though they sound exactly the fucking same... and in this game impressing the client is important. They want to know that their new album is being created using some bitchin' high-end software, especially if they're paying you good money by the hour to make it happen.

BonsaiK

Nov 14, 2007
Ham_authority95 said:
BonsaiK said:
Ham_authority95 said:

Give me the lineup of your band, how many members, who plays what, also gender and style of vocalists (i.e is there screaming, singing, death metal growls, etc). I need sleep but I'll answer this one in about 10 hours.
Alright, I'm not saying anyone's last name.

Kellen(me): Bass.

Anthony: Lead/rhythm guitar and vocals(Uses a growl-like voice Influenced by James Hetfield of Metallica)

Kyle: Rhythm/lead guitar

Chris: Drums(Note: Its in debate about whether he's continuing with us, since there is something going on with him and Anthony, but if he leaves we have some people in mind already.)

P.S: Great thread, I have it bookmarked.
Okay cool... I'll give you a detailed answer to this when I wake up.

Multikott

Apr 16, 2009
Thanks alot for doing this, it's great to get a chance to ask a few questions to someone who actually has experience in the industry.

With that said, my questions:

A lot of people (myself included) aspire to make a living making music. How feasible is this? How "big" do you have to be to earn enough money to live off of it? I suppose that most musicians have other jobs as well, but is it only the really big bands that can live solely by playing music?

Out of all the demos a record label recieves, how many are deemed good enough to deserve a contract? I suppose this varies wildly from label to label, and it's probably hard to say exactly, but would an estimate be closer to 5 or 20%?

Thanks again for taking your time helping people out =)

Sygmist

Jul 15, 2010
Is it true that the major record labels dug up the corpses of Kurt Cobain and Jim Morrison, resurrected them, and now have them working as animated ZOMBIE PRODUCERS for Disney to keep their stars afloat? Answer me, damn you! Where do the cult-based lies and propaganda end?! Unveil your industry Illuminati!

I 'spose that might be 'digging dirt'.

In all seriousness; where did you get your start? Did you go to college/university/grad school, and if so, what are your degrees/majors? (Sorry if that's a bit personal.) What's the running price of a music-savvy lawyer on the lower end?

Did the industry really deem to kill grunge music?! Sorry, more dirt digging...

BonsaiK

Nov 14, 2007
Ham_authority95 said:
BonsaiK said:
Ham_authority95 said:

Alright, I'm not saying anyone's last name.

Kellen(me): Bass.

Anthony: Lead/rhythm guitar and vocals(Uses a growl-like voice Influenced by James Hetfield of Metallica)

Kyle: Rhythm/lead guitar

Chris: Drums(Note: Its in debate about whether he's continuing with us, since there is something going on with him and Anthony, but if he leaves we have some people in mind already.)

P.S: Great thread, I have it bookmarked.

Here's an equipment list if that will help:

Me: Ampeg BA115HP, Ibanez SG strung with DR Black Beauties, Ernie Ball Music Man strung with Ernie Ball Flatwounds(For any soft songs)

Anthony: B-52 Half-stack, ESP custom explorer, ESP Kirk Hammet signature, and an Epiphone Les Paul for lower tunings.

Chris: Ludwig 4 piece(Its too old to tell what specific model)

Kyle: Hagstrom Swede, B-52 half stack
Rightio then. I should have asked you the metal subgenre but never mind.

Apologies to casual readers this is going to be way tl;dr and probably a bit jargonish too.

When mixing a loud band, what you're trying to do is fill a frequency/stereo spectrum with as much stuff as you can, to get maximum "oomph". (Jimmy Page as a producer understood this which is why Led Zeppelin's recordings still sound modern today compared to a lot of other stuff recorded in the 70s which has a kind of "dullness" to the mix compared to modern stuff.) Imagine what the listener hears as a grid. Along the X axis of the grid, you have the stereo field, left, center and right. Along the Y axis you've got frequencies, low, medium and high, so you've got 9 parts of the grid. You want to put something in all those 9 boxes, yet still have the result sound good.

The problem with metal bands is that everyone wants to be the low guy. That ain't gonna happen. A mix that is all low sounds like shit, frankly, even if individual instruments all sound good, everything's fighting for the same space so nothing has any definition. So let's look at instruments one by one, how to record them and then we'll look at how to mix them and where they sit in the field.

Oh, you need good mics and plenty of them. You need as many mics as you've got inputs into your desk/computer/whatsit. Bare minimum, buy as many Shure SM57s as you can justify for instruments and a Shure SM58 for vocal. They are the industry standard mic, they are really for live work not studio but they are durable and versatile, they will get the job done if you can't afford the really good stuff. Don't buy any mic with an on/off switch on it. Get pro mics from a music store, not amateur ass shit from an electronics shop.

Drums - to record a bass drum you want a large diaphragm microphone. Industry standard for years has been the AKG D112 or "eggshell" mic,- if you don't own one of these or something similar a Shure SM57 or SM58 will do the job but nowhere near as well. There are many ways to record a bass drum but I find the best way is to sit the eggshell half-in/half-out of the small hole in the drummer's front skin. If the drummer doesn't have a hole there, cut one. If he's got a huge hole there, buy him another drum skin just for recording, with a small hole.

You should hang two overhead microphones above the drumkit, using big boom mic stands. Ideally these should be condensor microphones and they should sit at least two feet above any cymbals the drummer might have. They don't have to be the absolute best thing in the park (like the Neumann ones I recommended the other guy) but they need to be sensitive. Condensor mics are more sensitive than "dynamic" mics, if you can't afford condensors (or don't have the phantom power to run them) just get the most sensitive dynamic mics you can. These mics get your entire kit, and they also get a nice stereo effect on the toms if you position them right.

Then, put a mic on the snare. Some styles don't even need a snare mic but in metal you kind of do. Micing the top skin will usually sound better than micing the bottom skin, but if you mic the top skin you have the risk of the drummer clipping it with his stick. Maybe try both. A Shure SM57 sounds good on a snare, those little "clip-on" snare microphones also work well.

You don't need mics on the toms - the overheads will get those nicely. However if you've got shitty quality overheads you might have no choice in which case just use anything you got. Sennheiser's clip-on mics are wonderful if you got 'em. 57s, 58s will do in a pinch. Most metal drummers hit their toms once in a blue moon.

Bass: mic the cabinet with whatever you got that's large-diaphragm and can handle lowness. The AKG D112 is a good choice, so is a Sennehiser 412, there's plenty of other brands. Also DI the bass. Some bass amps have a DI output built into them, but they vary in quality. You can buy a DI box pretty cheap, any one will do, they all do the same shit, just make sure it has a "ground lift" input or switch. If you get hum from the bass that you can't get rid of, try using the ground lift and your hum may magically disappear. If you only have a choice of micing the cabinet or DIing the bass, personally I'd DI it unless the guys bass amp and the mic you are using to mic it is AMAZING.

A little word about micing speakers. Don't point your mic right at the center of the cone. You'll get horrible wind-flap noise and the sound is really harsh. Put it at an angle or pointing to the rim of the speaker a little.

Guitars: mic the cabs, 57s are great. Experiment with mic position, you get pretty different sounds depending on where you put the mic. Ask your guitarists if there's one particular speaker in their cab that sounds best, and/or try to work it out yourself, then mic that one.

Vocals: always record these later, but also record a "guide vocal" track if you're going to be all playing at the same time, just for cueing. For guide vocals just use a 58. For real vocals, use a large-diaphragm condesnor if you got one, they are expensive though. If not, use a 58 or some other mic, whatever you got that's designed for vocals but ideally best quality you can get. Don't forget to pop-shield it so your P's don't explode the diaphragm. Don't be a sucker and buy a pop shield, just get an old stocking and strech it over a coat hangar, then insert the coat hangar upside-down into the mic stand. Then have that between the lips and the mic. Don't sing right up to the mic if it's a condensor.

Should you record all at once, or one instrument at a time? Well, if it's a demo and you're doing this at home you may have no choice. If you're only able to get a certain amount of inputs into your desk/computer/whatever at a time, or only have a certain amount of microphones, you're stuck with having to record instruments one by one. Or if you've got lots of inputs then you can record all at once, which is generally better because even though you don't get as much acoustic isolation (in pro studios they achieve this by having separate rooms for the amps) you get more of a "live feel" which I think is more important for a metal band than pristine sound quality, frankly. If you have a choice, do it all in one hit if possible and only overdubbing guitar doubletracks and vocals, ideally.

When you record the drums, if you're having to do it bit by bit, you still want at least one other person in the band playing along, so the drummer can cue and he knows where the changes are. If you gotta pick one guy make it your guitarist/singer. After that you can add instruments at your leisure, with players listening through headphones while they record.

Onto mixing. Bassy guitars sound great, so does bassy bass guitar, so does bassy bass drum, so do bassy vocals. But they can't all live there or your mix will turn to mush. Mix your bass guitar dead center of stereo field and loooow. Same with kick drum but wind a little high end into the kick drum for definition. I'm gonna assume your drummer plays double-kick a lot, as metal drummers often do (too much in my opinion but anyway...) Hopefully your drummer has wooden beaters or click pads, they'll give his bass drumming the extra definition it needs to cut through, otherwise he'll just sound like a blobby noise above the bass guitar. If he's got soft felty things, consider buying him wooden beaters, they're not expensive. Cymbals provide the "air" at the top of the mix, make sure they're trebly enough to be heard and pan those overhead feeds you recorded hard left and right. Guitars - pan them left and right too, not all the way but about 90%. Don't leave them in the center of the mix cos that's where vocals go. If you have only one rhythm guitar, double-track it. If you have two, if they are playing the same thing you don't need to double-track it but if they're not, double-track the one doing the fat "chug chug" stuff and then pan the two tracks left and right. By double track I don't mean make a copy of the track, I mean actually get the guitarist to record the damn thing a second time. Now because they're panned left and right you can wind bass into them and they won't get in the way of the bass drum and bass guitar, both of which are panned centrally. But guitars really need midrange to cut through as well, especially for solos. Vocals, sit in your normal vocal range which is kinda mid to high, even if the person is a growler. In metal the vocals have to sit on top of all the chug or they get buried and you can't hear what's being sung. Vocalist must be panned centrally. The guitar, panned left and right, shouldn't get in the way, nor should the drums, which are also panned left and right. All the vocalist is competing with is the snare drum which should be bang in the middle of the mix and LOUD.

Hope that helps. You probably have more specific questions about this so fire away. Damn I haven't even discussed mixing from a desk/computer point of view...

Ham_authority95

Dec 8, 2009
BonsaiK said:
-holy shit snip-
Hope that helps. You probably have more specific questions about this so fire away.
Ok sweet. I'm now wondering about what equipment/ software we should buy to put the tracks on and mix them.

We're already getting an 8-track to try different guitar harmonies, but we'll probably need more than that.

P.S: If it helps, we're mostly influenced by Thrash Metal, melodic Death metal and metalcore, and other stuff like Mastodon.

P.S.S: We're VERY strapped for cash, with myself being the only solid income for the band. If you could recommend any cheaper gear, that would be nice.

BonsaiK

Nov 14, 2007
Multikott said:
A lot of people (myself included) aspire to make a living making music. How feasible is this? How "big" do you have to be to earn enough money to live off of it? I suppose that most musicians have other jobs as well, but is it only the really big bands that can live solely by playing music?
It's only the really big bands, and even some of them can't do it. Why do you think I work on the "other" side of the industry? ;) My band played support for a band (who shall remain nameless) who had a single riding high on the national charts and were that well known that they were getting recognised in the street by teenage girls. I took the female singer to lunch, I asked her "so how much money do you see?" - her reply "our label gives us an allowance...it's about enough for cigarettes and pizza. We still owe them thousands of dollars so we're not seeing any money from CD sales yet".

When a record company signs you, they tend to give you a whole stack of money to record your album, tour, whatever. This is called an "advance". That money isn't a gift, it's a loan, just like when you take out a mortgage at the bank. They expect you to use that money to make your product and then you go on the promotional trail selling your product, and trying to recoup that money though album, ticket and merch sales. In the meantime, the record company is spending more money, on posters, magazines ads, TV ads, whatever, and that money gets tacked onto your loan. They also will give you money to eat etc... and of course, that gets added to the loan too. Many bands never get out of debt, it's a very, very common experience to owe a record label 5-digit sums of money, even if you have a hit record. The stories of famous people who never saw a dime of the money they made are extremely common. Did they make money? Yes they did, but they spent more money (on recording, transport, drugs, hookers, fancy riders, etc), so the books didn't balance. The really big bands, the Nirvana, Norah Jones, Lady Gaga, 50 Cent, Slayer, the ones who have either monster hits, or a sustainable catalog of releases that consistently sell and thus a "brand" that always makes money, they do just great. However that's only a tiny percentage of the bands that try. A one-hit wonder or even a couple of hits off one album usually isn't enough to pay back a record company's outlay.

Multikott said:
Out of all the demos a record label recieves, how many are deemed good enough to deserve a contract? I suppose this varies wildly from label to label, and it's probably hard to say exactly, but would an estimate be closer to 5 or 20%
More like 1%, and that's being generous. Record companies do get inundated, mostly with shit.

BonsaiK

Nov 14, 2007
Sygmist said:
Is it true that the major record labels dug up the corpses of Kurt Cobain and Jim Morrison, resurrected them, and now have them working as animated ZOMBIE PRODUCERS for Disney to keep their stars afloat? Answer me, damn you! Where do the cult-based lies and propaganda end?! Unveil your industry Illuminati!

I 'spose that might be 'digging dirt'.

In all seriousness; where did you get your start? Did you go to college/university/grad school, and if so, what are your degrees/majors? (Sorry if that's a bit personal.) What's the running price of a music-savvy lawyer on the lower end?

Did the industry really deem to kill grunge music?! Sorry, more dirt digging...
If we ressurected Kurt Cobain and Jim Morrison we wouldn't make them zombie producers, we'd make them get their bands back together and record more fucking albums. If that meant we'd have to chain them to a wall and show them what a guitar was Day Of The Dead-style, we'd do what it takes.

Music savvy lawyers cost about the same as any other laywer. A lot of them work with fairly broke clientele on a regular basis (this is the music biz after all) and thus some are open to negotiation. Of course, as with anything you get what you pay for.

I went to University and studied music but I also went to a technical college that taught sound engineering. Before I did either of those things I worked a non-music related job and started my own small record label with the money, then self-funded and produced a CD, this was before I turned 20 and before there was CD burning. Total waste of money but a really good learning experience. It was at the audio engineering college where I met people who would eventually lead me closer to the industry on a personal and business level, and toward financial viability. The course itself was only average but the people I met through the course were great.

Grunge music killed itself through oversaturation. There was a while there in the mid 90s when you'd go out to clubs, see ten bands a night in different venues and they would ALL have a vocalist who would be doing that fucking midrangey sheep noise like Eddie Vedder. People just got sick of it through over-exposure. The industry moved on because people wanted to hear something different. Same thing also happened with nu-metal about five years later.

BonsaiK

Nov 14, 2007
Ham_authority95 said:
BonsaiK said:
-holy shit snip-
Hope that helps. You probably have more specific questions about this so fire away.
Ok sweet. I'm now wondering about what equipment/ software we should buy to put the tracks on and mix them.

We're already getting an 8-track to try different guitar harmonies, but we'll probably need more than that.

P.S: If it helps, we're mostly influenced by Thrash Metal, melodic Death metal and metalcore, and other stuff like Mastodon.

P.S.S: We're VERY strapped for cash, with myself being the only solid income for the band. If you could recommend any cheaper gear, that would be nice.
If you're broke, use the 8-track, and whatever mics you got. It's only a demo. A demo is just to show someone what you can do, it doesn't have to be perfection.

1. Bass drum
2. Drum overhead left
3. Drum overhead right
4. Bass guitar
5. Guitar left
6. Guitar right
7. Vocal
8. Keep this channel for overdubs if you need them, or snare drum if you don't need overdubs. You could also use it for your guide vocal.

Mics, if you're really penny-pinching it just use SM57s for everything and an SM58 for vocals. They're not THAT expensive. But no electronics shop shit, I forbid it.

Audacity is a free download and works fine as something to mix your tracks down onto, then you can save your result in wav format and burn a CD from it. You can also use it to overdub but be aware that Audacity has some time-shift issues so you may need to edit after the fact. Hey it's free software so you get what you pay for. Oh and use the stable versions of Audacity not the fancy beta ones which are full of bugs.

WhamBamSam

Oct 29, 2009
Cool thread. I've got a few questions as well.

1. What are the "rules," so to speak on playing/recording cover songs as far as copyrights go? Is it just providing a little citation somewhere, or is there more to it?

2. Are there any musical styles (other than grunge and nu-metal mentioned in your above post, and I suppose really weird shit like black metal) that just don't have a market right now? To what degree are newer forms of distribution (legal or otherwise) diversifying the musical sound-scape. Is the medium becoming more varied and more in line with specific "niche" audiences, or does it not really make for a significant change?

BonsaiK

Nov 14, 2007
WhamBamSam said:
Cool thread. I've got a few questions as well.

1. What are the "rules," so to speak on playing/recording cover songs as far as copyrights go? Is it just providing a little citation somewhere, or is there more to it?

2. Are there any musical styles (other than grunge and nu-metal mentioned in your above post, and I suppose really weird shit like black metal) that just don't have a market right now? To what degree are newer forms of distribution (legal or otherwise) diversifying the musical sound-scape. Is the medium becoming more varied and more in line with specific "niche" audiences, or does it not really make for a significant change?
1. Believe it or not, you need not just to credit them as the songwriters, you also need the permission of the copyright holder to record and play their songs. In practice however, if you're not an artist with some notoriety yourself, no-one's gonna notice or care. After all they're still getting royalties probably so it's rare that they'll be too upset. Being covered is kind of flattering too.

2. Black metal has a more viable market than grunge and nu-metal if you ask me! Basically anything that's only just fallen out of favour in the last decade is a no-go zone for NEW bands. For already-established artists popular in that style this doesn't apply. Thus, Rage Against The Machine and Korn would do well if they released a new album tomorrow, but any band copying that style wouldn't (unless they had RATM or Korn members in them).

I don't think that new media has really made much of a difference in terms of musical styles. Musicians have always communicated with each other somehow. Probably the only real change is that if a new sound becomes hip it will spread across the globe faster, the US or UK or wherever that sound originated from won't be quite so far "ahead" of the rest of the world, who can now play catchup pretty damn fast and starting pumping out their own regional version of whatever you got.

WhamBamSam

Oct 29, 2009
BonsaiK said:
1. Believe it or not, you need not just to credit them as the songwriters, you also need the permission of the copyright holder to record and play their songs. In practice however, if you're not an artist with some notoriety yourself, no-one's gonna notice or care. After all they're still getting royalties probably so it's rare that they'll be too upset.
Huh. I wondered because I'd have assumed that things like Children of Bodom's cover of "Hit Me Baby One More Time" or Pat Boone's In A Metal Mood album wouldn't fly if they needed to get permission for what amounts to a mockery, or neutering, respectively, of the originals, at least on some level. Though I suppose the original artists/producers would end up looking worse if they refused the rights as opposed to simply grinning and bearing it.

shticks

Jun 8, 2010
Do on air personalities actually enjoy every new song that the station plays? How much are they just paying lip service to keep listeners attentive?

Ivan Brogstog

Jul 24, 2009
Great thread by the way - what you have revealed so far has been very enlightening.

I'm just wondering: how much/how little effort do you have to put into a record/demo set for a producer or label company to take notice of a new band?

Also do producers/record labels look at things like lyrics, originality, longevity, potential, etc. Also, do they look at experience/age (I'm 21, but without much experience - is that/would that be a problem in the future years)?

BonsaiK

Nov 14, 2007
WhamBamSam said:
BonsaiK said:
1. Believe it or not, you need not just to credit them as the songwriters, you also need the permission of the copyright holder to record and play their songs. In practice however, if you're not an artist with some notoriety yourself, no-one's gonna notice or care. After all they're still getting royalties probably so it's rare that they'll be too upset.
Huh. I wondered because I'd have assumed that things like Children of Bodom's cover of "Hit Me Baby One More Time" or Pat Boone's In A Metal Mood album wouldn't fly if they needed to get permission for what amounts to a mockery, or neutering, respectively, of the originals, at least on some level. Though I suppose the original artists/producers would end up looking worse if they refused the rights as opposed to simply grinning and bearing it.
Well, Britney Spears didn't actually write "...Baby One More Time" so she actually has absolutely no say in the matter. The original songwriters probably thought that the Children Of Bodom version was a hoot. Most people just say "yes" immediately to anyone who wants to do a cover, because if the cover becomes a hit, the original copyright holders are the ones who are going to get the royalties. People objecting to cover version is extremely rare. It's true however that a lot of artists don't even bother asking and just figure "I'll do it until someone tells me to stop", but the copyright holders do have the legal right to stop those works from being performed. How enforceable that legal right is, well, that's another matter...

BonsaiK

Nov 14, 2007
shticks said:
Do on air personalities actually enjoy every new song that the station plays? How much are they just paying lip service to keep listeners attentive?
Most radio presenters have absolutely no say in what music is on the playlist. The playlist is decided by another person or more likely a music committee who get sent new releases and then make decisions about if they're going to be aired. The taste of the radio presenter simply doesn't come into it. They're paid to present the music, not to like it.

The exception is community radio stations, which often have far more adventurous and interesting music than their commercial counterparts, at least they definitely do where I live. On those stations it's a far more likely scenario that the music being played is a reflection of the DJ's personal taste, and the very best of these stations don't actually have an official playlist at all.

BonsaiK

Nov 14, 2007
Ivan Brogstog said:
Great thread by the way - what you have revealed so far has been very enlightening.

I'm just wondering: how much/how little effort do you have to put into a record/demo set for a producer or label company to take notice of a new band?

Also do producers/record labels look at things like lyrics, originality, longevity, potential, etc. Also, do they look at experience/age (I'm 21, but without much experience - is that/would that be a problem in the future years)?
A demo doesn't have to be perfect. If it's your band, what you're shopping to the label or producer is your songwriting ability and your performance ability. Unless you're trying to sell yourself to a label AS a producer, the production quality really isn't relevant so if it's rough, that's okay. It should be listenable with everything clearly able to be heard but it doesn't have to be pristine and in fact it's better if it isn't too polished, after all if you're sending it to a producer it's their job to polish you so why not leave a few rough edges in so they can earn their money.

As for your other question, when it comes to age, for any sort of pop music younger is better. If you're female and trying to get into the pop arena you've frankly already missed the boat by the time you're 25, and if you're male, by 30. The industry is sexist but it's even more ageist. Other genres it doesn't matter - you can break into the blues scene (for example) at any age because that's a genre that respects age more. Obviously everything else gets looked at too... I mean, they like it if you don't suck, you know? But sometimes things will be overlooked if a band has a quality a label wants. Silverchair were signed and did very well when grunge was hot in the marketplace because they were very young kids who played grunge. Never mind that their lyrics were some of the most gobsmackingly atrocious nonsense ever to be penned by a person with a guitar in their hand... that was a minor concern, you can let stuff like that slide when you've got a license to print money.