Curious about the music industry? Find out stuff.

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
Shivarage said:
BonsaiK said:
Rebecca Black will be a millionaire at the end of the year if current trends continue.

I know you've posted demos in my demo thread but I couldn't find one with vocals on it. If you record me some vocals and put it in the demo thread I'll promise to give you an honest assessment of your voice.

Getting a job: don't sweat it. Usual common sense things apply. The more qualifications the better, but what any employer, in any business, is really concerned about is:

* Is this person capable of the task I'm paying them for? Qualifications are just a way of proving 'yes, I can do this particular task'. That's all they're for. If there's no qualifications, do they have experience? If there's no experience, do they have good school results, some good work experience, volunteer work or anything that shows that they might be able to do good at the job I'm paying them for? Try and relate any experience that you do have to the job at hand. You can do it if you're creative. If you're going for a job stacking shelves in a supermarket and you've never stepped foot in a supermarket (just to give a really lowbrow example), then maybe you stacked shelves in your school library once, so you can tell them that you've got "shelf stacking" experience, and you can tell them how quickly you can do it, that you're good with ladders and heights or whatever. What about a job in a store, but you've never worked in retail? Well, maybe there was one time where you collected money for a charity as part of school or something - ahhh, now you can tell them you've got "cash handling" experience. Etc etc. Don't actually fabricate or make anything up (because liars tend to get busted) but just think outside the square a little.

* Will they actually do the task diligently and not waste time/cost me money? Is there something about hiring this person that could potentially cost me more money in the long term than hiring some other person? This comes down to your character. A performing arts qualification shows, if nothing else, that you've got the ability to do something and stick it through to the end. That's a quality employers like, it shows that you're willing to work at something and succeed in it. Sure, they'd like it if the qualification was relevant to their job, because then that also shows you might be able to do that job, but even if it isn't, it's still a positive point. Maybe there's a few employers who see a performing arts degree as a negative thing, but do you really want to work for such a non-understanding employer anyway? Think about how they'll react down the track if you get the job, when you need some time off work for your band to go on tour. Remember that going for a job isn't a one-way street - the job just isn't auditioning you, you're also auditioning them, and making sure this is a job you really want to do.

* Will myself and the other employees be able to get along with this person, will they be a good 'fit' for the business? This comes down to personality, you'll either fit or you won't. Sometimes the best, most qualified person doesn't get the job and this is often why - they just didn't 'fit' the culture of the business. Nothing you can do about this, just put your best foot forward.

Sorry, that wasn't very music-industry related, but then in a way it is, because you'll need a job in the 'straight world' anyway, at least for starters. Some well-known musos who've been around for decades still have day jobs. Did you know Bruce Dickinson is a qualified commercial airline pilot?
Holy shit o_O a millionairre?!

Is a cover demo okay since my lyric writing isn't great?

Thanks for all the info :) from my experience, I don't know anybody who didn't get their first job through connections, wether their parents friend took them on or a friend gave a good word... this is confirmed in my first job interview, the first thing an employer said to me was "do you not know anybody who can just give you a job?" yeah, I'm a little stuck financially thanks to the nepotism that rules in my area... also, I knew performing arts is much better proof for my abilities than just sitting in a room and writing >_>
She's earning currently about $24,000 a week. Multiply that by 52 for a rough projected yearly income. Of course, this is if current trends continue i.e sales remain good, she gets a follow-up song out that is also popular, etc. At the very least, at the end of it she'll have enough for a nice deposit on a house when she's older. Mind you, she's been donating a lot to Japan so maybe not.

Source: http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/industry/digital-and-mobile/rebecca-black-s-first-week-sales-not-bad-1005084972.story

In your case, just to assess vocal ability, I'd encourage you to do a cover song.

Networking isn't just important in the music biz, it's important in many other aspects of life. If you know someone you don't need a qualification. Try and make nepotism work for you rather than against you, if you can. Tell your friends who have jobs to keep their ear out if anything comes up...

Shivarage

Apr 9, 2010
BonsaiK said:
She's earning currently about $24,000 a week. Multiply that by 52 for a rough projected yearly income. Of course, this is if current trends continue i.e sales remain good, she gets a follow-up song out that is also popular, etc. At the very least, at the end of it she'll have enough for a nice deposit on a house when she's older. Mind you, she's been donating a lot to Japan so maybe not.

Source: http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/industry/digital-and-mobile/rebecca-black-s-first-week-sales-not-bad-1005084972.story

In your case, just to assess vocal ability, I'd encourage you to do a cover song.

Networking isn't just important in the music biz, it's important in many other aspects of life. If you know someone you don't need a qualification. Try and make nepotism work for you rather than against you, if you can. Tell your friends who have jobs to keep their ear out if anything comes up...
woooowww, thats a lot... pure luck right there I'd say ^^'

I'll get right on that cover :)

Wow... life makes a hell of a lot more sense now O_O you have it all figured out!

How come they don't teach you this kind of truth in the education system? I reckon they fancy "rationing" out intelligence to prevent any kind of threat to the rich corporate-owner people from being usurped of their positions but rather want to give information out on a need-to-know basis until they choose to tell the truth and relinquish power

BonsaiK

Nov 14, 2007
Shivarage said:
BonsaiK said:

woooowww, thats a lot... pure luck right there I'd say ^^'

I'll get right on that cover :)

Wow... life makes a hell of a lot more sense now O_O you have it all figured out!

How come they don't teach you this kind of truth in the education system? I reckon they fancy "rationing" out intelligence to prevent any kind of threat to the rich corporate-owner people from being usurped of their positions but rather want to give information out on a need-to-know basis until they choose to tell the truth and relinquish power
That, or you just weren't paying attention in class. ;)

Seriously though, there's nothing I haven't said about that topic that someone who works at a job network or recruitment agency wouldn't tell you. They just don't always have very interesting or relevant means of conveying the information. But yeah - every friend you know who has a job, that's a person who could potentially refer you to upcoming vacancies, encourage you to get your resume in at the right time, and even put in a good word with the boss. Exploit that pre-existing network and you'll get hired eventually.

Rebecca Black is very lucky and she knows it. Lucky she has lots of haters, because they're the ones who promoted her enough to get her in front of her current fans. I talked about this in more detail at the start of the previous page.

Shivarage

Apr 9, 2010
BonsaiK said:

Seriously though, there's nothing I haven't said about that topic that someone who works at a job network or recruitment agency wouldn't tell you. They just don't always have very interesting or relevant means of conveying the information. But yeah - every friend you know who has a job, that's a person who could potentially refer you to upcoming vacancies, encourage you to get your resume in at the right time, and even put in a good word with the boss. Exploit that pre-existing network and you'll get hired eventually.

Rebecca Black is very lucky and she knows it. Lucky she has lots of haters, because they're the ones who promoted her enough to get her in front of her current fans. I talked about this in more detail at the start of the previous page.
blahhh! of course I definately wasn't sleeping through classes =P (I was stuck in a class that I couldn't progress from)

I don't know anyone higher than a cashier at an asda shop... and he has no influence >_>
I just keep asking managers and handing in forms its been over a year now and no luck yet everybody keeps saying "eventually" lol ^^'

I've been keeping up with this thread :) I submitted vocal demos to the other thread so I'm ready to accept the verdict, whatever that may be O_O'

BonsaiK

Nov 14, 2007
Shivarage said:
BonsaiK said:

blahhh! of course I definately wasn't sleeping through classes =P (I was stuck in a class that I couldn't progress from)

I don't know anyone higher than a cashier at an asda shop... and he has no influence >_>
I just keep asking managers and handing in forms its been over a year now and no luck yet everybody keeps saying "eventually" lol ^^'

I've been keeping up with this thread :) I submitted vocal demos to the other thread so I'm ready to accept the verdict, whatever that may be O_O'
Even lowly cashiers can still give you an alert when a vacancy comes up. It's not like they have anything else to do during quiet times. Anyway don't lose heart and just be persistent. Sometimes it's the most annoying person who gets the job.

I'll reply to your post in my other thread later tonight when I'll be in front of a computer with a working Flash player.

Inglip

Feb 17, 2011
BonsaiK said:
Yeah. Nearly fucking identical, and certainly just as shallow and insipid. Okay, the Easybeats weren't huge outside Australia and England, but where was the hate for The Cure when that song came out? Nowhere, because people are hypocrites, and it's more fun for them to pick on a 13-year old girl with her first single than a band with an established career spanning decades and tons of fans. The "hey the weekend is coming up let's have a good time" song has been a staple of pop music for as long as the school/work weekly schedule has been a reality in western society.
Do you honestly think you can compare Rebecca Black to The Cure? Are you going to do that with any song that has Friday in that title? It's moronic.

There are a million differenced between the two songs. For one, Robert Smith doesn't have a voice that sounds like GLaDOS going through a cheese grater. There's also the fact that there are actual rhymes in Friday I'm In Love. Whereas in Friday, there is one rhyme and that one is particularly strained. As well as the fact that they at least put in the tiniest amount of emotion, unlike Rebecca Black and her creepy soulless face.

Shivarage

Apr 9, 2010
BonsaiK said:
Even lowly cashiers can still give you an alert when a vacancy comes up. It's not like they have anything else to do during quiet times. Anyway don't lose heart and just be persistent. Sometimes it's the most annoying person who gets the job.

I'll reply to your post in my other thread later tonight when I'll be in front of a computer with a working Flash player.
It's difficult but I won't give up, Thank you for all your helpful advice! ^_^

Now to give you a break from... me :)

BonsaiK

Nov 14, 2007
Inglip said:
BonsaiK said:
Yeah. Nearly fucking identical, and certainly just as shallow and insipid. Okay, the Easybeats weren't huge outside Australia and England, but where was the hate for The Cure when that song came out? Nowhere, because people are hypocrites, and it's more fun for them to pick on a 13-year old girl with her first single than a band with an established career spanning decades and tons of fans. The "hey the weekend is coming up let's have a good time" song has been a staple of pop music for as long as the school/work weekly schedule has been a reality in western society.
Do you honestly think you can compare Rebecca Black to The Cure? Are you going to do that with any song that has Friday in that title? It's moronic.

There are a million differenced between the two songs. For one, Robert Smith doesn't have a voice that sounds like GLaDOS going through a cheese grater. There's also the fact that there are actual rhymes in Friday I'm In Love. Whereas in Friday, there is one rhyme and that one is particularly strained. As well as the fact that they at least put in the tiniest amount of emotion, unlike Rebecca Black and her creepy soulless face.
Similarities:

* They're both pop songs
* They were both popular, successful pop songs that made a lot of money
* They both have a melody that sticks in your head
* They're both about why Friday is the best day of the week
* They both have a pretty silly music video, that gets a lot of hits on YouTube

This is a thread about the music industry, it's not a thread about anything else. It's certainly not a thread about your (or my) music taste. If you don't like "Friday", don't listen to it, I don't care, what you or I personally think of the song musically is not really relevant to anything. The two songs are reasonably comparable as a music industry product and are both consumed as such, so therefore in this thread they are being compared. If that really annoys you, then you can always start a Rebecca Black hate thread about it just like all the other people who got her that viral internet fame in the first place.

Inglip

Feb 17, 2011
BonsaiK said:
Inglip said:
BonsaiK said:

Similarities:

* They're both pop songs

This is a thread about the music industry, it's not a thread about anything else. It's certainly not a thread about your (or my) music taste. If you don't like "Friday", don't listen to it, I don't care, what you or I personally think of the song musically is not really relevant to anything. The two songs are reasonably comparable as a music industry product and are both consumed as such, so therefore in this thread they are being compared. If that really annoys you, then you can always start a Rebecca Black hate thread about it just like all the other people who got her that viral internet fame in the first place.
But you claim the songs are "nearly fucking identical." Come on, you can't deny that this simply isn't true. You also say:

"where was the hate for The Cure when that song came out? Nowhere, because people are hypocrites, and it's more fun for them to pick on a 13-year old girl with her first single than a band with an established career spanning decades and tons of fans."

Again, I call bullshit. The reasons I gave above (lack of talent, no rhyming) are the reasons people hate Rebecca Black.

BonsaiK

Nov 14, 2007
Inglip said:
BonsaiK said:
Inglip said:
BonsaiK said:

Similarities:

* They're both pop songs

But you claim the songs are "nearly fucking identical." Come on, you can't deny that this simply isn't true. You also say:

"where was the hate for The Cure when that song came out? Nowhere, because people are hypocrites, and it's more fun for them to pick on a 13-year old girl with her first single than a band with an established career spanning decades and tons of fans."

Again, I call bullshit. The reasons I gave above (lack of talent, no rhyming) are the reasons people hate Rebecca Black.
From an industry perspective they certainly are nearly identical.

Lack of rhyming is a stupid reason to hate Rebecca Black because she didn't write the song. Since when is rhyming a requirement for a quality song anyway, non-rhyming poetry and music has been around for a few centuries now. Ask any death metal band.

Lack of talent is simply wrong. Rebecca can sing without the Auto-tune.

Not the greatest vocalist ever and she certainly has an odd midrangey twang to her natural voice, but the pitching is there and it's still pretty fucking good for 13 years old, quite frankly.

Inglip

Feb 17, 2011
BonsaiK said:
Inglip said:
BonsaiK said:
Inglip said:
BonsaiK said:

Similarities:

* They're both pop songs

From an industry perspective they certainly are nearly identical.

Lack of rhyming is a stupid reason to hate Rebecca Black because she didn't write the song. Since when is rhyming a requirement for a quality song anyway, non-rhyming poetry and music has been around for a few centuries now. Ask any death metal band.

Lack of talent is simply wrong. Rebecca can sing without the Auto-tune.

Not the greatest vocalist ever and she certainly has an odd midrangey twang to her natural voice, but the pitching is there and it's still pretty fucking good for 13 years old, quite frankly.
No acoustic cover changes the fact that the song in it's actual form is fucking terrible. Unlike the Cure song, which you claim people should be insulting as much as Rebecca.

BonsaiK

Nov 14, 2007
Inglip said:
No acoustic cover changes the fact that the song in it's actual form is fucking terrible. Unlike the Cure song, which you claim people should be insulting as much as Rebecca.
Over 2 million people have purchased the song, in its original form, on iTunes. I assure you they're not buying it because they hate it. It appears that music is subjective. Gosh.

I'm not claiming people should be insulting The Cure as much as Rebecca. If anything I'd claim that people should be insulting Rebecca as little as The Cure, but I in fact never cared either way. If insulting someone leads to their financial benefit (as it clearly did for Rebecca) then you might as well keep it up.

kibbitz2000

Sep 26, 2010
Hi BonsaiK,

Been catching up since page 14, and it got me thinking about the music that I like to listen to, which is probably from the Bing Crosby/Frank Sinatra era till the 1990s. Looking at the way popular music is going though, am I right in guessing that I'll never be seeing any sort of 'revival' where music swings back to something more similar in terms of sound from a previous era? Or is it already happening (or already happened) but I'm not seeing it?

BTW, just wanted to say that you're amazing. A few months more and you'll have been at this for a whole year. Thanks for all your input so far, it's been very entertaining and enlightening.

BonsaiK

Nov 14, 2007
kibbitz2000 said:
Hi BonsaiK,

Been catching up since page 14, and it got me thinking about the music that I like to listen to, which is probably from the Bing Crosby/Frank Sinatra era till the 1990s. Looking at the way popular music is going though, am I right in guessing that I'll never be seeing any sort of 'revival' where music swings back to something more similar in terms of sound from a previous era? Or is it already happening (or already happened) but I'm not seeing it?

BTW, just wanted to say that you're amazing. A few months more and you'll have been at this for a whole year. Thanks for all your input so far, it's been very entertaining and enlightening.
1980s pop as well as 70's soul, 40's "swing jazz" and pre-Beatles rock are all going through a revival right now. You haven't noticed?

Ham_authority95

Dec 8, 2009
So if I want to make merch for my band to sell, where would I get things like blank T-shirts and badges? And things that we would use to print our name and shit on?

MisterGobbles

Nov 30, 2009
How do festivals (like Warped Tour) determine when those events are sold out? It never seems like they are...

BonsaiK

Nov 14, 2007
Ham_authority95 said:
So if I want to make merch for my band to sell, where would I get things like blank T-shirts and badges? And things that we would use to print our name and shit on?
T-shirts - if ytou want pro-looking ones (and you do) then just ring up a place that specialises in band t-shirts. You'll find them in the phone book if you look hard, but if you can't then just ask other bands where they got their done and there you go. Then contact them. They'll tell you what they need from the art-design angle, what format it needs to be in etc. Then you just give them what they want, pay them a bunch of money and they do shirts.

Badges - you can either hire a badge place to make badges for you, or hire the badge-making machine and make your own badges which is a hell of a lot cheaper but more time-consuming.

BonsaiK

Nov 14, 2007
MisterGobbles said:
How do festivals (like Warped Tour) determine when those events are sold out? It never seems like they are...
There's someone who's a member of this forum who organises rock festivals for a living, she'd be better to answer this than me. However in a nutshell not all concert tickets are equal. There'll be a certain allocated amount of "pre-release" ones, then there's the main lot and when they sell out, then the event is "sold out". However, the organisers often keep a batch of tickets in reserve, usually to give to promoters, the media, as giveaways to radio stations etc... sometimes if they don't all get used, you might get a last-minute lot of extra tickets appearing mysteriously after the event is sold-out. I think sometimes tickets are also withheld because "wow the gig sold out" makes it sound like it's really popular, so promoters actually want to give the perception that the event is high-demand, thus making people quickly rush and buy tickets before it "sells out for real"...

kibbitz2000

Sep 26, 2010
BonsaiK said:
kibbitz2000 said:
Hi BonsaiK,

1980s pop as well as 70's soul, 40's "swing jazz" and pre-Beatles rock are all going through a revival right now. You haven't noticed?
Actually, can't say I have. Part of it is definitely my fault, since I've stopped listening to music for the last few months, short of the occasional Youtube link thrown my way or game music. About the closest thing I'm aware of for a revival is the recent surge in tours and concerts from artistes of the 80s, people like Rick Astley and Debbie Gibson. Thanks for the input, I'll take a look around and see if I can fish out anything new to listen to.

BonsaiK

Nov 14, 2007
kibbitz2000 said:
BonsaiK said:
kibbitz2000 said:
Hi BonsaiK,

Actually, can't say I have. Part of it is definitely my fault, since I've stopped listening to music for the last few months, short of the occasional Youtube link thrown my way or game music. About the closest thing I'm aware of for a revival is the recent surge in tours and concerts from artistes of the 80s, people like Rick Astley and Debbie Gibson. Thanks for the input, I'll take a look around and see if I can fish out anything new to listen to.
Since YouTube seems to help you find music, I'll use it in this reply.

The tours of Rick Astley and Debbie Gibson have actually been sparked by the current extremely strong 80s revival in pop music. The old guard looked at the new stuff coming out, said "gosh, looks like our music is back in vogue, might as well ride the wave" and started touring again. Some well-known examples of "new 80s pop":

Here's a classic 70's soul track, except it's not, because it was written and recorded in 2010:

And swing is totally in right now, here's another recent song:

....and also there are plenty of other bands playing 50's style double-bass and hollowbody guitars, probably more now than ever before, some playing almost-punk:

Some playing 80s pop:

Some playing bastardised versions of 50s rock:

and etc. Certain types of "old" music are very "new" right now.