Custom-Made Iron Man Gauntlet Shoots a Real, Live Rocket

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Custom-Made Iron Man Gauntlet Shoots a Real, Live Rocket

Patrick Priebe, creator of this crazy Iron Man gauntlet that fires a real rocket, has become a real-life Tony Stark.

It's the attention to detail that separates good cosplayers from amazing cosplayers. Things like fully-functional Wolverine claws [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/134557-Man-Makes-Fully-Functioning-Retractable-Wolverine-Claws], or, a fully-functional Iron Man gauntlet that fires a real, live, rocket (although these would probably get you thrown out of most convention centers). Laser Gadget's Patrick Priebe has done the latter, creating a thing of beauty and magnificence that I'm sure Mr. Stark himself would be proud of.

You can check out Preibe's demonstration of his crazy gadget to the right, in which he demonstrates how a trigger on the palm section fires the rocket, just like Stark does in the movies. He then goes ahead and straps a live, explosive, rocket to his arm, and fires it out in the field to show that yes, this is a real missile.

Preibe's gauntlet also has a couple of sweet laser pointers on it, one to act as an aiming laser for the rocket, and another to imitate Iron Man's iconic palm boosters (though sadly, they do not allow him to fly).

For those of you hoping to replicate this thing yourselves, Preibe makes it clear that he will not post any plans or tutorials, as his creation is, "insanely stupid as always," and really too dangerous for a detailed guide.

"Just enjoy the video," he urges. We will, Mr. Preibe. We will.

If you enjoyed this, Preibe has a whole suite of other cool laser gadgets on his Dead Space laser cutter [http://www.laser-gadgets.com/].

Source: YouTube [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t0WBoodu8o]

vid87

May 17, 2010
Don't get me wrong, it's impressive, but this is basically the whole Fight Club paradox on a creepier scale:

-Movie shows cool-looking concept, subtly argues against it based on character's emotional maturation and recognition that there's more to life than violence.

-Audience sees movie, only focuses on cool-looking concept.

-Audience imitates cool-looking concept and brings dark theme of movie to life.

I don't know about rocket physics, but doesn't this prove that the military (who last I heard was rumored to building an Ironman-ish suit series?), should they condense war-grade rockets to model-rocket size, make this a new, actual weapon (unless drones just make the concept obsolete already / the design is already fairly simplified and perfected and I'm being hyperbolically paranoid)?

Sidmen

Jul 3, 2012
vid87 said:
I don't know about rocket physics, but doesn't this prove that the military (who last I heard was rumored to building an Ironman-ish suit series?), should they condense war-grade rockets to model-rocket size, make this a new, actual weapon (unless drones just make the concept obsolete already / the design is already fairly simplified and perfected and I'm being hyperbolically paranoid)?
There really isn't anything a rocket of this size can do, that a 40mm grenade doesn't already do. And those can be strapped to the bottom of any modern battle rifle.

ryan_cs

Aug 13, 2013
vid87 said:
Don't get me wrong, it's impressive, but this is basically the whole Fight Club paradox on a creepier scale:

-Movie shows cool-looking concept, subtly argues against it based on character's emotional maturation and recognition that there's more to life than violence.

I think the rockets are too impractical, it wouldn't travel very far or make a big explosion (it's looks smaller than a grenade) and it seems to be very inaccurate so any other weapon would be better almost every time (unless you somehow fit a targeting system, but then it might be too costly for a small explosive). I'm not an expert so don't take my word for it.

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
nice, was thinking he was going to get a nice backblast in the face when you line your arm up, but its good to see that he set it up to deflect the thrust.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Sidmen said:
vid87 said:
There really isn't anything a rocket of this size can do, that a 40mm grenade doesn't already do. And those can be strapped to the bottom of any modern battle rifle.
Pretty much this.
We also have grenade pistols and (shockingly compact) man-portable rockets already for ranged precision delivery anyway.
Building a small weapon like this into an arm or suit component just seems like needlessly wasting mass or volume..that and putting explosives you may use on your arms seems like a bad idea in general.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Atmos Duality said:
Sidmen said:
vid87 said:
Pretty much this.
We also have grenade pistols and (shockingly compact) man-portable rockets already for ranged precision delivery anyway.
Building a small weapon like this into an arm or suit component just seems like needlessly wasting mass or volume..that and putting explosives you may use on your arms seems like a bad idea in general.
Mass, volume, moving parts, and the risk of having it jam and blow part of my arm off makes me think, "Yeah... no." And all of that to basically create a rocket-propelled version of my 203? I agree, totally needless.

Pogilrup

Apr 1, 2013
Oh that outtake was just painful.

There should really be a quick release switch on that thing.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
remember that whole R&D sequence where tony stark keeps hurting himself while developing the suit? yeah.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
vid87 said:

Science fiction overall has always led science in a direction to emulate what is cool and try to recreate it...or find an alternate route to achieve same. Star Trek is probably the most famous source of sci-fi tech people have worked on. Suffice it to say, the rockets are kind of impractical and you KNOW repulsor tech and arc generators - which, while capable of creating super-weapons, will mean free energy and flying cars for everyone - will be what people REALLY want.

Zakarath

Mar 23, 2009
As one who's fired a few model rockets in my time, I bet that gauntlet now irrevocably reeks of sulfur.