Cyberpunk 2077 3 Week Delay Explained

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Well, CDPR has gone on record explaining why they added 3 weeks to the development time of 2077 even after the game went gold. To put it bluntly, it is because they want the game to get at least 90 on Metacritic. 3 more weeks of crunch, and a take-backsies of "this game is ready"...because Metacritic trumps all.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Well, CDPR has gone on record explaining why they added 3 weeks to the development time of 2077 even after the game went gold. To put it bluntly, it is because they want the game to get at least 90 on Metacritic. 3 more weeks of crunch, and a take-backsies of "this game is ready"...because Metacritic trumps all.

There's also this bit.

Apparently the PS4 and XBOX1 versions could be better and that's part of the delay.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

The metacritic bull crap again?! the last time I heard that excuse was I want to say 2015 I guess. Well, screw you cdpr even harder. Y'all are going to get some money anyway so what's the freaking point. Enough of the freaking bonuses on metacritic! Metacritic is at the end of the all of ratings. Let the people in the word of mouth decide for themselves. As far as I'm concerned, they're no different from EA or Activision.I don't care what fans, other gamers, or pundits try to spin it. We're done here.

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

Bwahahahahahahaaaaa. Whut?

Well, I guess at least they’re being honest, but that is honestly a pretty shallow excuse that shows lack of confidence in the game they thought was ready already. It might even end up sabotaging their chances at that goal once certain places get wind of it.

Reactions: BrawlMan

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
The company that is nigh-constantly hyped and fellated at a level likely unmatched in the industry today was worried they somehow wouldn't easily clear the 9/10 rating mark.

My condolences to anyone who was hyped for this one, cause there must be something horribly wrong for them to abandon faith in it. And whatever last minute focus-group inspired change they're doing will probably make it worse if anything.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Something tells me this game is going to run like ass on current gen.
I mean, was there ever any doubt?

All this news about CDPR has me really disappointed. I should have seen it coming, corporations be corporations, but sometimes you just wanna have a little hope.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
So it works well on PC, where CDPRs traditional development has always been and less well on some consoles where it is basically a port.

Makes sense.

Not sure however why they can't just delay console versions only.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
That's not much of an explanation. I imagine every developer wants their game to do well, critically. Just makes them sound like they lack confidence in their work.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
The metacritic bull crap again?! the last time I heard that excuse was I want to say 2015 I guess. Well, screw you cdpr even harder. Y'all are going to get some money anyway so what's the freaking point. Enough of the freaking bonuses on metacritic! Metacritic is at the end of the all of ratings. Let the people in the word of mouth decide for themselves. As far as I'm concerned, they're no different from EA or Activision.I don't care what fans, other gamers, or pundits try to spend it. We're done here.
Like it or not the metacritic score can really impact sales. It makes sense they would try and lessen the impact of buggy versions on those scores since most places only review a game once and if bugs get you a bad score then you have that bad score for awhile. Don't forget what happened with Mass Effect Andromida, it became a meme because if its buggy launch and those bugs were fixed but its memehood lasts forever. You only get one launch, make it the best you can.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Like it or not the metacritic score can really impact sales. It makes sense they would try and lessen the impact of buggy versions on those scores since most places only review a game once and if bugs get you a bad score then you have that bad score for awhile. Don't forget what happened with Mass Effect Andromida, it became a meme because if its buggy launch and those bugs were fixed but its memehood lasts forever. You only get one launch, make it the best you can.
And it's the publisher's fault for placing so much value in it. Either way it's poor Management on their part. There's plenty of games and movies that had terrible review scores on a professional side and did fine or great sales wise for the consumers. Yes, metacritic has some influence, but similar to rotten tomatoes, it is not the end all to be all of criticism. Fuck all of it.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
It has the misfortune of launching with next gen aspirations on current gen hardware. They should’ve just made it PC exclusive until next gen starts, then port it.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
That's not much of an explanation. I imagine every developer wants their game to do well, critically. Just makes them sound like they lack confidence in their work.
Jimquisition himself has bombed games (I'm thinking of this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellblade:_Senua's_Sacrifice) if it launched with a killer bug. Which this one did.
I do like the idea that a company would want a bug free game on day 1 and not have us download a patch the size of the game.

Reactions: Dalisclock

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Jimquisition himself has bombed games (I'm thinking of this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellblade:_Senua's_Sacrifice) if it launched with a killer bug. Which this one did.
I do like the idea that a company would want a bug free game on day 1 and not have us download a patch the size of the game.
The game has already been finalized and printed. They've announced as much themselves. The work they're doing now is on the Day One Patch.

Reactions: gorfias

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I do find it interesting he later went back and gave it a higher score later because apparently the bug had been fixed( the original bug would have pissed me off too if I had run into it, and I say that as someone who LIKED Hellblade).

But yeah, a game breaking bug like that should be reflected in the review score, especially in a game where you can't just go back to a previous save and hopefully avoid it.

I had a similar issue with Assassin's Creed: Revelations. I got a substantial way into the game, had a crash, came back and found all my save games gone. 7 hrs of progress wiped. Apparently caused by the way Uplay syncs their save data to the cloud.

I literally stopped playing the game out of frustration and for years would only play Ubisoft games with Uplay in offline mode(aside from the one required time it needs to check in with the server to boot the game the first time). It's also one of the reasons I dislike Uplay so much. I only finished Revelations years later when I picked it up again.

Last edited:

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Look if it's over 80 on Metacritic sooner or later I will buy it, and if it's over 70 on Metacritic but lower than 80, I will buy it when it's less than 20 dollars. Who only buys games when it's 90+ on Metacritic.

Granted CD Project Red's got such a cult following I am sure people will buy it if it's under 70 on Metacritic like the cultist still buying Star Citizen Ships when the game won't come out for another hundred years.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Granted CD Project Red's got such a cult following I am sure people will buy it if it's under 70 on Metacritic like the cultist still buying Star Citizen Ships when the game won't come out for another hundred years.
100 years for SC? Someone's an optimist.