Cyberpunk 2077 Isn't Blade Runner

Mar 30, 2010
Revnak said:
But... Cyberpunk has always been all about a dark and hopeless world (Rampant consumerism, fascism, and evil corporations) and the punks that are really pissed off about it.
Sort of. Ish. Cyberpunk the genre certainly leans that way, but Cyberpunk the game has always had a strong party vibe to it. From the hallucinatory chems that the characters take to the social circles each character has access to, the 80's tabletop RPG was always kinda rock'n'roll about the future. Hell, one of the playable classes - the Cyberpunk equivalent of the D&D Bard - was entitled the "Rockerboy" and came complete with groupies.

OT - The more I hear about this game the more I'm looking forward to it. Well, apart from the PC only release meaning that I'll have to update my rig for the first time in four years, but other than that I have high hopes for this one.

Jesse Billingsley

Mar 21, 2011
You know its alright to admit "Yeah, we got some of our ideas from Blade Runner, but its not really Blade Runner."

I mean, the Ghost in the Shell movies seem to be heavily based on the Blade Runner

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
Grey Carter said:
We are focused on the main character and his problems, or her problems.
Does that mean Cyberpunk will feature character customization?

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
octafish said:
Advertising? Marketing? Release dates?

Don't know, I don't know such stuff. I just do games, ju-, ju-, just games... just game design, just games. You Gamer, huh? I design your games.
You're looking a little cold there... what happened to your coat?

OT: I'm really interested in this game. If it turns out to be what they're saying it is, then this might be the first CD Projekt came I actually finish. Not to say the Witcher games are bad, because they're not. I've just never been able to stay interested in them long enough to actually finish them.

Cyberpunk though... this sounds like the kind of game that can really suck me in.

Tradjus

Apr 25, 2011
Frankly it's refreshing to hear that a game will actually limit it's scope too tell a story better. It's always really jarring from a narrative perspective when a simple character study story suddenly becomes a SAVE TEH WURLD story from out of nowhere in games.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
James Joseph Emerald said:
Revnak said:
But... Cyberpunk has always been all about a dark and hopeless world (Rampant consumerism, fascism, and evil corporations) and the punks that are really pissed off about it.
Not exactly. I think hope is the essence of cyberpunk.

One of the core themes of the Sprawl trilogy is that even with all the endless resources that big dodgy corporations have, some punk who dedicates himself to the art of hacking can still royally fuck their shit up.
The punks that are really pissed off about it can bring hope I suppose. And as strange as it may sound, Gibson didn't necessarily keep to all the themes of cyberpunk. He just wrote stuff and everybody else made a genre out of how it made them feel.
Grouchy Imp said:
Revnak said:
Sort of. Ish. Cyberpunk the genre certainly leans that way, but Cyberpunk the game has always had a strong party vibe to it. From the hallucinatory chems that the characters take to the social circles each character has access to, the 80's tabletop RPG was always kinda rock'n'roll about the future. Hell, one of the playable classes - the Cyberpunk equivalent of the D&D Bard - was entitled the "Rockerboy" and came complete with groupies.

OT - The more I hear about this game the more I'm looking forward to it. Well, apart from the PC only release meaning that I'll have to update my rig for the first time in four years, but other than that I have high hopes for this one.
Yeah, but the way the guy says it he makes it sound like Blade Runner is less cyberpunky than their game because it is dystopic, rather than pointing out a difference between their work and typical entries in the genre.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Goofguy said:
Well Deckard wasn't saving the world or the city either... But I can see what they're getting at. I'm most definitely intrigued by this game and if it's of the same quality as CD Projekt Red's other work then sign me up.
That's kind of what I was thinking. Deckard wasn't saving anything, he was killing some people who may or may not have deserved to die, and it was a very personal story. I'm kind of wondering here where CD Projekt's statement ends and the editorialism begins, because someone apparently hasn't seen the movie :p

Sounds like a cool game, though. Less Blade Runner, more Shadow Run, and I mean the tabletop RPG made by FASA, not the videogames.

Mar 30, 2010
Revnak said:
Grouchy Imp said:
Revnak said:

Yeah, but the way the guy says it he makes it sound like Blade Runner is less cyberpunky than their game because it is dystopic, rather than pointing out a difference between their work and typical entries in the genre.
I think that's it though. He's deliberately aligning his game with the tabletop game, not the Hollywood inspiration of the tabletop game. He's not saying Blade Runner is less Cyberpunk-y than his game, he's saying that his game is a different vision of Cyberpunk than Blade Runner.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Blade Runner was hardly about saving the world or the city, which makes it a bad comparison to start with, mentioning Syndicate the shooter is IMO another own goal...

Still looking forward to 2077 though, i guess CD Projekt simply doesnt want a Dead Island-esque fiasco with a trailer that has little or no bearing on the game itself.

Shuu

Apr 23, 2013
Sounds good to me. Honestly, I'm sick of cyberpunk being equated directly to Blade Runner. Don't get me wrong, it was a good book, but there's... well okay, there hasn't been much "big idea" stuff since, but... Well let's just hope this game adds to that small list!