Cyberpunk 2077 Trailer Goes on Transhumanist Rampage

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Cyberpunk 2077 Trailer Goes on Transhumanist Rampage

[video=6703]

Turns out there aren't many charitable uses for implanted arm-blades.

Human augmentation is one particular field of science with a lot of interesting potential applications. Synthetic limbs have always been a boon, and other technology can restore or even enhance the senses. Sub-dermal body armor and retractable scythes implanted in the wrists, however, probably aren't going to do much for the benefit of polite society. The Night City Police find this out first-hand in the first trailer for Cyberpunk 2077, an upcoming game by The Witcher developers CD Projekt RED.

The trailer centers on a woman who has gone berserk after one too many cybermodifications. When the police find her too much to handle, they call in an expert from MAX-TAC (Maximum Force Tactical Division), colloquially known as "Psycho Squad."

"The Psycho Squad specializes in combating "psychos" - individuals who overuse implants and substances that boost or otherwise alter the human body," explains Adam Badowski, head of CD Projekt RED. "There comes a point when they overdose on these innovations, and their bodies start to rebel against their biological body parts as well as against all things organic around them. Simply put, they start killing people, who they now derisively call 'meatbags.'"

They don't sound like the type of people you'd want to invite over for dinner, but if the trailer is any indication, you may find yourself working alongside some of them in the dangerous streets of Night City. Their sociopathic attitudes are perfect fit for CD Projekt, with their experience in dark, mature settings like The Witcher's. Cyberpunk 2077 promises a "multi-thread, nonlinear story" set in a sprawling open world. Fans of the original Cyberpunk 2020 RPG will be able to visit familiar hotspots including Afterlife, Forlorn Hope, and a gang-dominated combat zone.

The trailer informs us that the game will be done "when it's ready," but more information will be coming on February 5. Until then, you can find some details on the official Cyberpunk 2077 website [http://cyberpunk.net/].

grey_space

Magnetic Mutant
Apr 16, 2012
Looks good.

I enjoyed both Witchers, the first one on PC the second on xbox.

Please come out in 2013 because all I'm looking forward to in Bioshock!

Danial

Apr 7, 2010
Looks like some good hype, can't judge from the pre render ofc but the Witcher team behind a hopefully RPG shooter ala Mass effect should cause much throwing of my money at the screen, ofc this is coming from someone who is a massive slut for for Cyberpunk settings.

SnowyGamester

Tech Head
Oct 18, 2009
Whelp, that looks awesome. It wasn't gameplay but, I mean, did you see that shit?! If the game is half as good as the teaser I'll be happy.

UnderGlass

Jan 12, 2012
Pretty adolescent stuff to be honest and a bit disappointing as far as tone goes. Still, their environment artists deserve a pay-raise. The attention to the details like the 80s influenced color scheme and the spinners made me very very happy. Overall I'm still excited for the game even if I'm pretty neutral on the teaser.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Finally a trailer! Looks fantastic so far, decent song choice too.

EDIT: The logo is kickass.

The Critic

Apr 3, 2010
"There comes a point when they overdose on these innovations, and their bodies start to rebel against their biological body parts as well as against all things organic around them. Simply put, they start killing people, who they now derisively call 'meatbags.'"
So, too many dips into the human augmentation pool causes people to go from Adam Jensen to HK-47? Actually sounds kind of interesting; and maybe a bit amusing, too. Maybe the first sign of biological rebellion is using speech conditionals...

More on topic, this game actually has piqued my interest. I've always had a lot of respect for CD Projekt, here's hoping the information to come makes this sounds even better.

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
I am liking the style and the implied plot. Colour me incredibly interested. And those first 25 seconds are a beautiful subversion of expectations...

Also, they seem to have dodged the uncanny valley. Which is impressive, even if this is a pre-rendered piece.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
The teaser did a good job at getting me intrigued, so I'm definitely looking forward to a trailer that tells us more about the plot, the characters, and, most importantly, shows us some gameplay. So yeah, I've got high hopes that this game comes through.

Also, and this may just be me because I'm a graphic designer and actually care about this crap, but am I the only one who thinks that the title font for this game looks awesome! OK, maybe the "P" looks wee bit like an "F" (I keep reading it as "CyberFunk") but who gives a damm! Look at it! It's freaking radical! Right?

I want this font for my welcome mat. Seriously.

jollybarracuda

Oct 7, 2011
Damn, I usually don't get hyped with trailers, that that was just really well put together. With CD Projekt's background with the Witcher, they've already shown they can make really deep and "multi-threaded" stories, so that talent being put into a cyberpunk game just sounds great, and this is definitely something I'm looking forward to.

Also, having your release date be "Whenever it's ready" is just brilliant.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
Well... That told us nothing except for mood and setting... and I WANT TO PLAY IT SO BAD NOW v_v. Cyber Punk is one of the most underused genres in the game industry which makes absolutely no sense because it's so perfectly translatable for it. Big showy set pieces, easy to relate to plot devices, stat progression with augmetics, action and conflict everywhere you look. I hope this is the game that kicks it off, because Syndicate and the Shadowrun FPS's weren't at all.

HardRockSamurai said:
The teaser did a good job at getting me intrigued, so I'm definitely looking forward to a trailer that tells us more about the plot, the characters, and, most importantly, shows us some gameplay. So yeah, I've got high hopes that this game comes through.

Also, and this may just be me because I'm a graphic designer and actually care about this crap, but am I the only one who thinks that the title font for this game looks awesome! OK, maybe the "P" looks wee bit like an "F" (I keep reading it as "CyberFunk") but who gives a damm! Look at it! It's freaking radical! Right?

I want this font for my welcome mat. Seriously.
That font is pure 80's cheese with a slight modern twist with the 2077 so I suppose it shows they don't intend to ignore the 80's roots of Cyberpunk. It does look good to me.

FFP2

Dec 24, 2012
Even though I knew beforehand that this was CG when I first saw the lady's face I thought it was real.

I hope it isn't a PC exclusive...

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
I absolutely loved the old tabletop game (Cyberpunk 2020) so I've been extremely interested in this. Knowing what they were able to do with The Witcher, I have very high hopes, especially after seeing this trailer.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
UnderGlass said:
Pretty adolescent stuff to be honest and a bit disappointing as far as tone goes.
The lady is obviosly wealthy between the way she looks like a super model and the overly modified body she has. Also teasers are meant for the eyes first. Again a setting perfect for games.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
I like Cyberpunk, I like RPGs, I liked the Witcher and I like CD Projekt RED. I have high expectations for this game already, even though the teaser doesn't really show anything from the game. It will be difficult for them to completely screw this up.