Cyberpunk Shooter Hard Reset Revealed

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Cyberpunk Shooter Hard Reset Revealed

It's guns against the machine in Hard Reset, a new sci-fi shooter from Polish studio Flying Wild Hog described as Painkiller [http://www.amazon.com/Blade-Runner-Five-Disc-Ultimate-Collectors/dp/B000K15VSA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1310611479&sr=8-3], all rolled into one.

Hey, I know: invoking Blade Runner, The Matrix and Painkiller is setting the bar awfully high. In most cases I'd just ridicule the mere suggestion and move on, but Flying Wild Hog, the studio behind the game, is formed of veterans of People Can Fly - that's the Painkiller and Sniper: Ghost Warrior [http://www.amazon.com/Bulletstorm-Pc/dp/B003H0CBT8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1310611587&sr=8-3] guys. That's the kind of lineup that gets my attention, and makes me think that maybe it's not all empty talk.

In Hard Reset, the robots have taken over and humanity finds itself reduced to one last enclave, the city of Bezoar. It's here that Major Fletcher - that's you - makes his stand against the invading mechanical enemy. But as he's drawn deeper into the conflict, he discovers that nothing is what it seems. It's a little short on detail at this point, but a robotic onslaught in a dystopian cyberpunk future held off by Dolph Lundgren with a glowing blue robot eye? Yes, please, I would like to sign up for your mailing list.

Pricing has not yet been announced but is expected to fall "somewhere between AAA releases like Battlefield 3 and lighter-weight 'downloadable' FPSes." We won't have long to wait to find out; even though Hard Reset was only announced today, the game is scheduled for launch in September 2011, exclusively for the PC. Find out more at hardresetgame.com [http://hardresetgame.com/].

Source: PC Gamer [http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/07/13/exclusive%E2%80%94flying-wild-hog-announces-cyberpunk-fps-hard-reset/]

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
That should be interesting, at the very least. PCF and CDPR bode well, but didn't Sniper: Ghost Warrior kind of suck?

Red Albatross

Jun 11, 2009
Dystopian future? Cyberpunk setting? Ethical and intelligent design team likely? Colour me intrigued, and, possibly even optimistic.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
A cyberpunk shooter, and a PC only? They got my attention. Can't wait to see more of it.

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
From some of the makers of Painkiller and Bulletstorm - that's pretty cool

Of the Witcher - well that's more than a little interesting

Of...Sniper: Ghost Warrior - Oh. Move along, nothing to see here

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
Oh man, Bezoar... nice name. There's lots of things that could be read into that choice, but I'll try not to think too hard about it so I can be surprised if I get this game... it sounds like it has a lot of potential.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
a new sci-fi shooter from Polish studio
Polish developer? I'm sold. And a PC exclusive!? Kick ass. Now to just go get a sledge hammer to take care of all the "it is a crappy console port!!11" before it is released...

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
The screenshots don't do much for me. I'm happy to see the game isn't using the same-old gritty brown & gray color scheme used in so many other FPSs, but the colors seem too gaudy here. It's not enough for me to write the game off, but at the moment I remain wary.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
This game has me interested in the fact i love the actual setting tself, you being pitted against machines now that i can like a lot, only game i ever get to play near that setting is Terminator games.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Made a "squeeee!" when I read about a new cyberpunk-game. Made a "Siiiigh" when I noticed that I would once again be forced to play a grizzled, brown-haired male protagonist.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Sgt. Sykes said:
Painkiller-style is a terrible fit with cyberpunk. Am I the only one who thinks this?
You actually got a point, sir.

I was busy being disappointed by other things, but this works too. Then agaion, maybe they actually blend it all in a seamless mesh which will rule the world with it's awesome?

No need to be terribly disappointed this early in production.

(And why the HELL do I need to watch a commercial before I can type my Captcha in? Seriously, this is going too far)