Cylons Triumphant as Syfy Cans Caprica

SonofSeth

Dec 16, 2007
Phew, finally! Sadly, this won't make room for a good SF series, but most likely for an SF reality show, whatever that is.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Interestingly this news came right on the heels of the best episode in the season. I was very disappointed.

IN the cancellation that s, I really like Caprica. Just needed less bloody terrorist nonsense.

UltimatheChosen

Mar 6, 2009
Loop Stricken said:
IN the cancellation that s, I really like Caprica. Just needed less bloody terrorist nonsense.
Yeah. I hated all the stuff with Clarice and Barnabus. The episodes that focused on Joseph and Sam were some of the best ones, in my opinion.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
Dammit, I liked Caprica, I thought it has some really good themes. A lot of it was basically analogies for social issues we have today, like immigration, gay rights, religious freedom, etc. It's a shame because it was a well thought-out and intelligent show on a channel that rarely has that.

Nimzar said:
They are finishing the season right? I hope the season finale can serve as series finale. Maybe the writers can quickly come up with some sort of epilogue. :/
Well I think we know how it ends haha, Cylons are mass-produced, shit goes bad, there's a big war and then
all but 40,000 humans are destroyed.

sosolidshoe

May 17, 2010
Blind Sight said:
Dammit, I liked Caprica, I thought it has some really good themes. A lot of it was basically analogies for social issues we have today, like immigration, gay rights, religious freedom, etc. It's a shame because it was a well thought-out and intelligent show on a channel that rarely has that.
Not to mention the ever-present "what makes you alive, really?" philosophical bent. Not that I'm surprised, the idea that an intelligent, thought-provoking show dealing the the issues not just of the day, but of the near future, could succeed in a world where people would rather be distracted by morons poncing about in sparkly leotards, was always a bit far-fetched.

Sephiwind

Darth Conservative
Aug 12, 2009
I'm really not all that surprised that Caprica is being canceled. It was an all right show but really the whole story is a bit over-the-top. As for SGU honestly am I the only one that thought by the 2nd or 3rd episode that it should be called Stargate Galactica. It felt like they saw how succesful BSG was ad decided to make a Stargate clone. This isn't saying that this makes it bad. Speaking of which I find it sad that Caprica isn't lasting nearly as long as SG Atlantis.

Wereduck

Jun 17, 2010
Caprica had its virtues but there really was far too much wealthy-teen angst. FFS suck it up and deal you pinhead!

Also, like the Dune prequels, I always felt they didn't leave nearly enough time between the first stirrings of change and the momentous events they lead to.
- To be fair, I should mention that Caprica was far better written than the Dune prequels.

Last Valiance

Jun 26, 2010
They can't just not air the episodes at all, I mean, they've spent tens of thousands making them...

I much preferred Caprica to Galactica. The problem is, even though I vehemently follow both, I don't really like either: I don't like their sub-par, over-used effects, their awkward actors and the way everything always seems so grim. Lighten up for fucks sake!

Oh and Cylons that aren't even robots any more are just stupid.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
This makes me a saaaad Dalek.... D:

I really wanted this show to do so well and I rather enjoyed parts of it greatly(I wanna be a New Cap Hustler too!) and it just depresses me that this show won't back it past a single season. Thanks Sci-fi (I fucking refuse to call it by their shitty new name) for canning another show just so you can make more shitty movies, god awful wrestling crap and honestly? When SGU finishes it's run whenever I'm pretty sure I'm done with this network once and for all.

SadakoMoose

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2009
To be fair:
Smackdown is a refugee show from the (soon to be shut down) My Network TV.
Titan Sports has a contract with NBC Universal, and Sci Fy was the only place it could go.
Trust me, My Network TV will be gone in the next year or so...

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Casimir_Effect said:
Well shit, I liked that series. And now after waiting a year for the second half of season 1 to be aired I get 3 episodes and have to wait until next year to possibly see the rest. Damn you America with your fucked up TV methods and audiences who see sci-fi and dismiss it at nerdy. Galactica was one of the best dramas that's ever been on TV and just happened to be set in space.
Don't blame the system because SyFy isn't bright enough to figure out they won't snag that mainstream audience no matter how much of the sci-fi they gut from it. That's a failing of management, one that has been there for over a decade now.

It sucks that science fiction is a niche market, but we had that niche. It's been slowly disappearing less because of the culture and more because of the people making decisions in this one place. By the way, sci fi is nerdy and there's nothing wrong with that. Absolutely nothing.