Cylons Triumphant as Syfy Cans Caprica

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Cylons Triumphant as Syfy Cans Caprica

The BattleStar Galactica prequel will not be coming back for a second season, after failing to find its audience.

Syfy has pulled the plug on Caprica, the spin-off prequel to the re-imagined BattleStar Galactica. It has also plucked the remaining five episodes from the regular schedule, with plans to show them at an as yet unannounced time in the first quarter of 2011.

Set 58 years before the start of BSG, Caprica showed the creation of the original Cylons, and the events that led to the first war against them. In a statement, Syfy's executive VP of original programming Mark Stern said that he appreciated all the support from the fans, and that he was very proud of everyone who had worked on the show. Unfortunately, he said, despite being a high quality show, it didn't pull in enough viewers to make a second season viable. Syfy plans to release updated schedules with the new listings later on today.

Obviously, it's sad to see a sci-fi show peter out so quickly, but as Caprica was a prequel to a show that had already had its entire run, at least fans won't be left hanging over how it ends. Admittedly, that's a small comfort, but it's better than nothing. There's also the upcoming pilot for BattleStar Galactica: Blood and Chrome, which is set before the main series, but after Caprica. The show is supposedly more in tune with the series' "space-opera roots," and will hopefully fare better with viewers.

Source: LA Time [http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2010/10/caprica-is-cancelled.html]

Casimir_Effect

Aug 26, 2010
Well shit, I liked that series. And now after waiting a year for the second half of season 1 to be aired I get 3 episodes and have to wait until next year to possibly see the rest. Damn you America with your fucked up TV methods and audiences who see sci-fi and dismiss it at nerdy. Galactica was one of the best dramas that's ever been on TV and just happened to be set in space.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
I loved BSG, but I have never seen Caprica. What worries me is that Stargate Universe has been getting low ratings too (though higher than Caprica) ab I'm worried it may not come back for a third season.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Casimir_Effect said:
Damn you America with your fucked up TV methods and audiences who see sci-fi and dismiss it at nerdy. Galactica was one of the best dramas that's ever been on TV and just happened to be set in space.
Wait, you're saying it wasn't nerdy to watch the show about robots in space following an ancient mystical prophecy? Dude, I loved the show, but I can fully admit that it is possible to be nerdy and awesome ;-)

Also, I love your avatar. It's the one from Cracked, right? Fucking hilarious.

"Cons: ***** wife" :-D

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Dammit, I was actually quite enjoying that show. Perhaps not as much as SGU granted, but still it was a good watch, I thought. Ah well, at least that frees up another hour in the syfy scheduling for some more WWE or whatever the wrestling is called these days.

Nimzar

Nov 30, 2009
thenumberthirteen said:
I loved BSG, but I have never seen Caprica. What worries me is that Stargate Universe has been getting low ratings too (though higher than Caprica) ab I'm worried it may not come back for a third season.
WAIT. SG:U is getting HIGHER ratings the Caprica! WTF. I tried SG:U (after Netflixing SG1, and SG:A) and thought it was terrible (I got about 2/3 to 3/4 through season one).

They are finishing the season right? I hope the season finale can serve as series finale. Maybe the writers can quickly come up with some sort of epilogue. :/

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
Fr said:
anc[is]Of course it died, syfy sucks. It's half wrestling.
2 hours out of 168 does not equal half. Math FTW! . . . . Beyond that though, Caprica failed because the show was terribly slow moving and a piss poor attempt to further milk the franchise for every last penny they can.

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
thenumberthirteen said:
Caprica was only okay. It had some good moments, but I personally think it got mired up in too many plotlines. Half the time I didn't know what was going on. It didn't help they broke the season the way they did.

Stargate Universe, however, is actually getting better. They seem to have more focus and have dropped a lot of the silly drama about these people's pasts - silly to me anyway; I always fast forwarded past those points. I hope it sticks around. I like Rush's character. And I really like how it's difficult to pick a side, they all seem equally corrupt somehow.

beema

Aug 19, 2009
Yeah, this is kind of sad but I saw it coming (and was secretly hoping for it). Caprica really lost me halfway in to the first half of the first season. The whole virtual-world teenager crap was just too cheesy and camp. If they stuck solely with the real-world corporate espionage maybe it would of been ok. Even that part felt lame. The stupid Tauron mafia (part jewish/italian/gypsie???) and the Clarice church stuff just made me feel uncomfortable because it was so cornball.
The show never had that high-caliber feel of BSG or other primetime shows. It just felt like another crappy syfy show with low-budget CGI all over the place.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
Crap. I might just have to give up TV altogether. Every time I realy like a show (not just a casual viewer) it gets canned. Heck Caprica was on scyfy, so even the nerds must have been avoiding it, so I can't blame this cancelation on the normal TV viewer habits that keep bringing back dancing with the stars and survivor.

I guess I should have taken the new prequel as the writing on the wall. I knew a lot of BSG fans were upset Caprica was a character drama and not an action show, so in hindsight the move reeks of a massive shift in tone to retain viewers. Still, come on scyfy. This isn't some episodic story we can just drop instantly. At least give them a half season or movie to wrap up a few loose ends.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
Ahhh, another good show cancelled by people who think a Sci-Fi channel should be showing WWE events and repeats...

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
meganmeave said:
Caprica was only okay. It had some good moments, but I personally think it got mired up in too many plotlines. Half the time I didn't know what was going on. It didn't help they broke the season the way they did.

Stargate Universe, however, is actually getting better. They seem to have more focus and have dropped a lot of the silly drama about these people's pasts - silly to me anyway; I always fast forwarded past those points. I hope it sticks around. I like Rush's character. And I really like how it's difficult to pick a side, they all seem equally corrupt somehow.
Indeed,every time they took a jump back to earth for some "much-needed" past development, I did roll my eyes a little. Aside from the part in episode 4 of season 2 where Eli

finally tries to tell his mum it's actually him that's been visiting her all those times and then manages to have her pay a visit to Destiny. Though that was quite well done

Here's hoping SGU doesn't share Caprica's fate. If that happened I'd be basically left with nothing to watch! I might then have to start watching The Event! *shudder*

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
MarsProbe said:
Indeed,every time they took a jump back to earth for some "much-needed" past development, I did roll my eyes a little. Aside from the part in episode 4 of season 2 where Eli

finally tries to tell his mum it's actually him that's been visiting her all those times and then manages to have her pay a visit to Destiny. Though that was quite well done

Here's hoping SGU doesn't share Caprica's fate. If that happened I'd be basically left with nothing to watch! I might then have to start watching The Event! *shudder*
That Eli plot was better, but I like Eli, so I may be biased.

The Event might get better. I've only seen a couple eps. The first was total garbage. It was a horrible pilot. I also have to fast forward past the backstory drama on Event.

I haven't made up my mind on it though. It's awfully hokey at times, but it might turn around Stargate SG1 was so much better in later eps. It took me a while to warm up to it. And I recently re-watched Star Trek TNG and was surprised how silly the first season was at times, and it got much better later as well. So I'm going to stick through The Event to see if they manage to straighten up.

Wandrecanada

Oct 3, 2008
Can't expect a lot more from a company that built it's base on a long tail demographic only to have some upstart decide that they should move in another direction and change the name of the network to SyFy and start showing reality TV and wrestling.

Is it any wonder shows like Eureka are becoming less and less like a science fiction show and more like a dramady where magical macguffins drive the plot?

Casimir_Effect

Aug 26, 2010
SonicWaffle said:
Casimir_Effect said:
Damn you America with your fucked up TV methods and audiences who see sci-fi and dismiss it at nerdy. Galactica was one of the best dramas that's ever been on TV and just happened to be set in space.
Wait, you're saying it wasn't nerdy to watch the show about robots in space following an ancient mystical prophecy? Dude, I loved the show, but I can fully admit that it is possible to be nerdy and awesome ;-)

Also, I love your avatar. It's the one from Cracked, right? Fucking hilarious.

"Cons: ***** wife" :-D
Oh yeah, I've got nothing wrong with things being nerdy. And many things nerdy are definitely awesome. But many people would not want to be associated with something like that or just see sci-fi as childish.

And while the overarching plot may be a bit nerd-pleasing with "robots in space following an ancient mystical prophecy", on an episode-by-episode basis it deals with so much more. Complex characters, mature themes & subplots, human nature, politics and religion. All the while being shot in a pretty good way and with sets/props which look perfect.
It would be like describing Heroes as nerdy because it's all about superheroes trying to save the city/world/cheerleader. Unlike Galactica though, Heroes got marketed to the masses really well so became 'acceptable'.

(On a side note I didn't like Heroes that much. The first series had it's moments but a complete lack of sense from anyone put me off watching it further. That and the first episodes of season 2 were pretty awful.)

WNxSajuukCor

Oct 31, 2007
We live in a world now where penny reality TV shows bring in millions while good, quality TV takes a backseat if it doesn't do well in the first two weeks. It makes me sad D: