Dad Beats Son for Having Poor Gaming Skills

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Dad Beats Son for Having Poor Gaming Skills

A Cincinnati man has been charged with beating his young son after the boy performed poorly while playing a videogame.

50-year-old Terry Taulbee of Cincinnati, Ohio, was charged with misdemeanor domestic violence for hitting his six-year-old son on his lower back and buttocks, leaving the area painfully swollen with a large red hand mark. While it was initially unclear whether the assault occurred as the result of Taulbee's gameplay or his son's, the boy's mother confirmed with police that Taulbee "became upset when the boy didn't play well."

Other details, such as the game in question or whether the father has a previous history of violence, haven't been released. Gary Grigsby's Pacific War [http://www.joystiq.com/2009/04/21/man-charged-with-beating-son-over-poor-video-game-performance/].

Taulbee was being held at the Hamilton County Jail while he awaiting arraignment, which was expected to take place today. The boy's mother has filed for a restraining order.

Source: GamePolitics [http://www.wlwt.com/cnn-news/19237945/detail.html#]

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Uh.... I am at a distinct lack of words. It's good to supervise your kid's gaming, but why did he beat the kid up for doing poorly? Needs some explanation, methinks. I'm gonna hold my opinion back till more details emerge.

tijuanatim

Sep 24, 2008
Now I was spanked as a child, and I am all for spanking. But this is just sick, there is NO reason to punish a child for 'playing poorly'.

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
Well... Thats... Thats a normally response when your child is bad at something, hit the bad out him! But seriously, thats just wrong.

sgtshock

Feb 11, 2009
Am I the only one who thinks a hard smack on the bum doesn't exactly qualify for an 'assault'? Even if it is a horrible reason to spank a child.

runedeadthA

Feb 18, 2009
I forgot who it ws who said this:

"Only two things are endless, The universe and Human Stupidity, and I'm not sure about the first one"
Eisenstein I think but whoever said it, I'm inclined to agree...

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
tijuanatim said:
Now I was spanked as a child, and I am all for spanking. But this is just sick, there is NO reason to punish a child for 'playing poorly'.
This. I got smacked loads as a kid, and I turned out fine. Honestly, the PC brigade and 'child safety' bozos have stopped any sort of discipline, because it's against the child's rights to be disciplined. Or something like that.

However, beating your kid for being crap at a game is pretty dumb. If your gonna discipline him, at least do it when there's an actual reason. Like if they swear, or break your favourite set of china plates, or let Zoey get killed by the Smoker... wait, are we still talking about discipline here?

SharPhoe

The Nice-talgia Kerrick
Feb 28, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Personally I'd let the kid beat him back everytime he dies on "I wanna be the guy"
The man wouldn't survive that and you know it.

Gerazzi

Feb 18, 2009
noooooooooooooooooooooooo
they're going to get everyone paranoid and outlaw video games now, even though anyone with half a brain can figure it's the PARENT'S FAULT...

well maybe I'm overreacting...
but Hillary Clinton's the Secretary of Defense now, and god knows she dislikes gamers.
I hope the feeling is mutual.

TheFacelessOne

Feb 13, 2009
Oh, whats that i hear?

"ITS ALL THE DAMN GAME'S FAULT, SOME HOW!" Yells an anger but moronic news reporter.