Dad uses Facebook to teach daughter a lesson.

ChocoFace

Nov 19, 2008
Shawn MacDonald said:
ChocoFace said:
Shawn MacDonald said:
Is he an asshole for shooting the laptop, sure. He is also my hero for teaching his self entitled ***** of a daughter a lesson.
Put yourself in his daughter's position. Are you going to think "gee, i guess i was wrong, i'd better clean up my act. Thanks, dad" or would you pretty much resent him for the rest of your life?

The lesson here is that swooping to lower than a kids' level of immaturity to fix your problems is not something you'd want to do.
Hey maybe she won't act like a self entitled ***** and stop taking her parents for granted. All things will heal in time. Literally think she will be mad at him forever, fuck no. She will be moody and pissed off because that is what you do at that age. Probably think to herself, hey maybe I should not slander my folks on the internet. All I got to say is that it is his property, he can do what he wants with it. Really affected by this then maybe you should man up. Can't stand this bullshit anymore with soft parenting. Say grow a pair and get ready for the outside world because it will mess you up faster than you can say wet blanket.
1. I wasn't defending the girl's dumb actions. I think we've all established she was pretty much a *****.

2. Watch the video again and see all the punishment the dad is going to lay on his daughter. Anyone who's learned an ounce of dealing with children knows that this is not the way to go: children learn from observing their elders (parents) and this time the child learned anything but what the dad was trying to teach him.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
mellemhund said:
Do you know why public humiliation is forbidden in the declaration of human rights? because it's an inappropriate and ineffective way of punishing.

The girl told her friends on face book. The dad was blocked but gained access somehow. He's the one doing something he shouldn't. Then he gets mad and act like a drama queen. How anyone can defend that is beyond me.
Ya know how the fella saw the note? He was posting pictures of the family dog on the dog's facebook account, which wasn't blocked, and saw it by happenstance.

Even if it would have happened by far more nefarious means the father would still be free of any wrong doing. As long as she is living under her parents roof and under the age of 18 she neither deserves nor is entitled to the smallest bit of privacy as far as her parents are concerned. As the parents of a minor they have a full pass to find out any information they like about her life by any means they deem necessary.

You see kids shouldn't enjoy the luxury of being able to block their parents from their facebook account. Hell if I had children and they blocked me from their Facebook account they would soon find themselves stripped of ANY way of connecting to said account in a time period that would be measured in months or years rather than weeks.

Sentox6

Jun 30, 2008
Owyn_Merrilin said:
You haven't heard one word I've said, so I'm going to say it again: even in a court of law, "No, I didn't do it" is not enough evidence to cast reasonable doubt on a piece of evidence that shows you committing a crime. Now, if that was an isolated incident, you might make a case that it wasn't child abuse. But we can't just take his word that it was, let alone that his daughter was happy with it.
I really don't know whether to laugh or cry.

But here we are, coming back to the same fundamental point that you seem to be hell-bent on ignoring. This video is not a piece of evidence that shows someone committing a crime. Nowhere in this video does the father abuse his daughter by any known lawful metric. You can do all the painfully far-fatched contortions to want to suspect him of child abuse, but you are going much further than that: you're reaching the point of slander and defamation.

I just genuinely don't understand why you're so desperate to believe this man must be a child-abuser.

I guess in your world, accused murderers, rapists, and thieves can get away with pulling a knife on the victim, grabbing the victim and dragging him/her off to a car, or using the item known to be stolen, on camera, just by saying "no, I didn't do it."
Yes, because clearly my reluctance to convict someone for child abuse on the basis of zero evidence means I believe an oral refusal of guilt should be sufficient cause for reasonable doubt.

You just broke my hyperbole meter. I hope you're happy.

Because that's all that has happened here: we've got the buildup to, if not the actual commission of a crime on camera, and you're going "well, he says everything's alright, we can trust him!" That's not how innocent until proven guilty works.
He destroyed the laptop he provided to his daughter as a privilege, clearly this is the build-up to child abuse!

He used a gun safely on his own property, clearly this is the build-up to first-degree murder with a firearm!

I want to believe that you're not serious, or that you're just trying to troll people, but sadly I doubt that's the case.

Owyn_Merrilin said:
The National Abuse Hotline said:
AM I BEING ABUSED?

Does your partner:
If his daughter is his partner, then we have some bigger issues. Otherwise, I don't think your list is entirely relevant to a parent-child relationship. Maybe that's the fundamental issue with your thinking: you believe parent-child relationships should demonstrate the same dynamics as those between independent or co-dependent peers. That is absolutely erroneous, however: a parent carries infinitely more responsibility. Their job is not only to provide for physical needs but also to shape a child emotionally, develop their character, and prepare them for independent life.

Your list is especially hilarious because some of the "abusive behaviours" it includes would actually be expected from a good parent. I.e.:

tries to control what the other person does, who the other person sees or talks to, or where the other person goes
makes the other person ask for money
makes all of the decisions
Oh, look, being a parent.

destroys the other person?s property
intimidates the other person with guns, knives or other weapons
Reality check: neither of those things happened in this video.

This man could be a child abuser, I don't know. If he is, though, it has nothing to do with destroying the laptop he gave to his daughter and recording it. You might murder young women and make meat products out of their corpses, I don't know. Clearly, you're a serial killer because your irrational reasoning and projection mean you must be unbalanced, and are clear indicators of psychopathic behaviour (Google told me so). I may not have direct evidence of a crime, but obviously your posts are just a build-up to one.

I know you're just going to ignore the bulk of what I've said in favour of your own interpretation, though. Maybe if you copy-paste some more alarmist material out of context I'll change my mind.

Mau95

Nov 11, 2011
Pff, EFF-ing rednecks. See, America? This is why the rest of the world thinks you're stupid.

mad825 said:
Eh, I would've done a similar thing. I would clout a few arrow/bolts into it and I'll be more indiscriminate by using broad-tips. Even if I didn't have a bow/crossbow, I would've used a sledgehammer or similar hitting tool.

I honestly don't see your point and comes across as zealous. He got angry and used his method to destroy the object like anybody would have.
Destroy a perfectly good and expensive laptop? You sir, do not realize the value of money. He could have given it away or something, but destroying it seems rather wasteful.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
boyvirgo666 said:
So this was posted by a drunk college student with no understanding of fine beards right?
Yeah well tell it to the beard 'cause it still thinks it's 1882.

axlryder said:
no, you seem to be confused about the content of the video. It featured a fairly calm man with well kept facial hair making a reasonable statement and firing off a gun to carry out his previous warnings.

You should learn to differentiate better.
Fairly calm? Listen to how he talks. The way he slurs his speech, he's either drunk or on the verge of a spittle-flecked rage or both. You could doctor in a pair of masked men with AK-47's standing over the laptop and I bet 60% of us wouldn't even notice.

meepop

Aug 18, 2009
Stalydan said:
The worst thing about this is the video is sadistic to the core. He's hurt that she posts something on Facebook about him and his wife but here's the thing. Nobody pays attention to Facebook. It might be the talk for about a week tops but then it's gone. Dusted over, never to be heard from again. Sure, I'd be angry if somebody posted hurtful stuff about me on the internet but it's not as widespread as people think. Who cares about one 15 year old girl annoyed with her chores? It's so pointless. But rather than talking to her about it, he prints off her post, reads it aloud in a video and shoots her laptop about ten times and expects money for damages. He then says he's going to post it to her wall where she won't be able to see it but all her friends will. So not only does he know it's going to hurt her when she finds out what he's done to her stuff but it'll also embarrass her at her school when other people find out. It's wrong on some many levels, I'd be tempted to call it abuse if went one or two steps further.

tl;dr This girl will now grow up to resent her father because he blew his fuse at something so minor rather than talking it out.
You-You're joking, right? Employers look at Facebooks when deciding whether or not to hire employees. People have lost job opportunities because they posted something on Facebook several years beforehand. Also, he is the CEO of a company. No CEO wants their daughter to post how "awful" they are. It gets around, and they lose credibility. Even if it's untrue. I challenge you to give me one case where a CEO didn't get at least a slight rep damage from troubles on the home front.

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
SnakeoilSage said:
boyvirgo666 said:
So this was posted by a drunk college student with no understanding of fine beards right?
Yeah well tell it to the beard 'cause it still thinks it's 1882.

axlryder said:
no, you seem to be confused about the content of the video. It featured a fairly calm man with well kept facial hair making a reasonable statement and firing off a gun to carry out his previous warnings.

You should learn to differentiate better.
Fairly calm? Listen to how he talks. The way he slurs his speech, he's either drunk or on the verge of a spittle-flecked rage or both. You could doctor in a pair of masked men with AK-47's standing over the laptop and I bet 60% of us wouldn't even notice.
You mean his stutter? Yeah, that's called a stutter. He has one. If you've somehow never talked to a person with a stutter in your entire life, just go to his other vids, he has one in those too. Please don't go attempting to admit a person's speech impediment as evidence of some fabricated rage.
I'm sorry, but generally one who employs conjecture and weak correlations as methods of defamation is doing little more than undermining their own credibility.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Gun ownership is a right. It is also a responsibility. Failure to properly execute one's basic responsibilities related to gun ownership means run ins with the law. Taking guns away from people with a demonstrated lack of responsibility is not gun grabbing.

Computer ownership is not a right. Daddy can do whatever he wants to baby's computer, provided it does not violate any laws. There are many laws against unlawful discharge of firearms, which he may or may not be in violation of.

dubious_wolf

Obfuscated Information
Jun 4, 2009
Good for him. While the use of fire arms was over the top. She deserved it.
I think dropping it off a building would have been more satisfying.

AdamRBi

Feb 7, 2010
Wow, what a cluster of opinions we have here.

I was going to rant on the irrationality of the father, but then I watched the video. He was pretty calm about this whole thing. Not parent of the year since this will no doubtedly inflate the situation, but understandable.

I see this going one of two ways, the most likely being that she throws a fit and runs away where she ether learns her lesson, ends up on the pole, get's murdered, or is raised by a pack of coyotes in the desert.

Option two is she vents to her friends and begrudgingly gets a job at a mall or outlet store... come to think of it, option two sounds more likely.

twohundredpercent

Dec 20, 2011
Why does anyone care at all? When I saw it, I was just like 'hah what a bunch of rubes'

Oh that wacky dad taking his daughters laptop and shooting it with something not even legal in some places. And yeah she dishonored the family and stuff. An IT guy in buttfuck nowhere Tennessee talking about honor. Whatever bro.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
AdamRBi said:
Wow, what a cluster of opinions we have here.

I was going to rant on the irrationality of the father, but then I watched the video. He was pretty calm about this whole thing. Not parent of the year since this will no doubtedly inflate the situation, but understandable.

I see this going one of two ways, the most likely being that she throws a fit and runs away where she ether learns her lesson, ends up on the pole, get's murdered, or is raised by a pack of coyotes in the desert.

Option two is she vents to her friends and begrudgingly gets a job at a mall or outlet store... come to think of it, option two sounds more likely.
Unfortunately, option 2 is what she tried; this whole mess started because she tried to vent to her friends.

Shpongled

Apr 21, 2010
meepop said:
Stalydan said:
The worst thing about this is the video is sadistic to the core. He's hurt that she posts something on Facebook about him and his wife but here's the thing. Nobody pays attention to Facebook. It might be the talk for about a week tops but then it's gone. Dusted over, never to be heard from again. Sure, I'd be angry if somebody posted hurtful stuff about me on the internet but it's not as widespread as people think. Who cares about one 15 year old girl annoyed with her chores? It's so pointless. But rather than talking to her about it, he prints off her post, reads it aloud in a video and shoots her laptop about ten times and expects money for damages. He then says he's going to post it to her wall where she won't be able to see it but all her friends will. So not only does he know it's going to hurt her when she finds out what he's done to her stuff but it'll also embarrass her at her school when other people find out. It's wrong on some many levels, I'd be tempted to call it abuse if went one or two steps further.

tl;dr This girl will now grow up to resent her father because he blew his fuse at something so minor rather than talking it out.
You-You're joking, right? Employers look at Facebooks when deciding whether or not to hire employees. People have lost job opportunities because they posted something on Facebook several years beforehand. Also, he is the CEO of a company. No CEO wants their daughter to post how "awful" they are. It gets around, and they lose credibility. Even if it's untrue. I challenge you to give me one case where a CEO didn't get at least a slight rep damage from troubles on the home front.
And I challenge you to find one teenager who didn't resent their parents for making them do the chores at some point in their adolescence. I seriously doubt anyone's going to get fired because they made their daughter do some chores and she had a rant about it on Facebook. On the other hand, some employers might start questioning the guys sanity a little with such a ridiculous reaction to such a tiny insignificant issue. What would you be worried about if you were his employer, a father making sure his daughter does her chores, or a father whose favoured method of punishment involves a youtube video and a hand gun.

Seriously, no way does a few facebook rants justify public humiliation, this girl won't learn anything from all of this other than to keep her resentment more secret. It's not like her resentment is suddenly going to change after such a harsh reaction to an insignificant rant. This sort of reaction is only going to push her further away.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
axlryder said:
You mean his stutter? Yeah, that's called a stutter. He has one. If you've somehow never talked to a person with a stutter in your entire life, just go to his other vids, he has one in those too. Please don't go attempting to admit a person's speech impediment as evidence of some fabricated rage.
I'm sorry, but generally one who employs conjecture and weak correlations as methods of defamation is doing little more than undermining their own credibility.
I recognize a speech impediment; I know people who stutter. I know people who stutter when they're nervous about being in front of audiences and not wanting to screw up, and I know the stutter of people who just stutter regardless of their emotional mindset.

This man has the nervous tic of someone trying to spew bullshit without losing his cool; it stems from him being furious and trying desperately to articulate it in a way that doesn't expose him for the temper-tantrum-throwing child that he's being, the same kind of tic any politician or businessman would get if they got cornered in a press conference and had to maintain a facade to keep from losing face. The discomfort stems from knowing somewhere deep down that he's a mean-spirited bully who got stood up to, and had to draw a firearm because that's where he gets his confidence and power from. If this is how he deals with his anger issues then its no wonder his family is so screwed up. Whether his anger is justified for letting his daughter become self-entitled brat it irrelevant.

Harker067

Sep 21, 2010
I'll be brief as I've said this elsewere. The dad is the adult here and should know better. Responding to someone said something bad about you you don't like with breaking other peoples stuff (even if you pay for something once you give it away its not yours anymore) is immoral and unacceptable in most parts of civilized society.

Actually talking to his daughter about her feelings on the matter he doesn't address half the things she says (gardening, coffee for example) she has to do and generally seems under apreciated would have gone a lot farther. By then posting this to facebook its little more then an attempt to bully and humiliate his daughter.

e is no better in my eyes from the scummy trolls on the internet or the thug on the playground beating you up cause you didn't respect them. Respect is something you earn by being deserving of it and I see nothing in here that this man is deserving of any respect for his piss poor reaction.

To conclude I hope his daughter grows up to be a better person then this sad excuse for a person.

Cyfu

Nov 25, 2010
Mortai Gravesend said:
Cyfu said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
Cyfu said:
and this was not the first time she did this. and when she was busted last time the dad said that if she ever did something like this again it would be much worse than being grounded.
she made her choice and she paid the price.
Not the first time she did something so horrible as to rant at some friends about her parents? Good Lord, what is the world coming to when kids rant to their friends? Doesn't make much sense to just say "She made her choice and she paid the price". Does it make much sense to punish her for something so trivial anyway? I'd say that it doesn't. People vent to their friends about things that are bothering them, that isn't something worthy of punishment.

this, in my opinion, is brilliant. if she doesn't get the picture now she has to be REALLY stupid.
That if she shows any dissent her dad will break stuff? Because that's what this says. It doesn't say "Oh you were wrong, you should be more grateful", it says "Oh if you don't act grateful I'll break your shit"
Trivial to say horrible things about their parent?
Yes, it is trivial. It's a bunch of petty words that they were never meant to see, big fucking deal.

i don't know what home you come from, but if i did what she did i would have grounded for months.
Well great, that means your parents overreact to silly things.

you're supposed to respect your parents.
Maybe that got beaten into you, but there's nothing in life that really requires it. And if someone fails to it's not a big deal.

what she did is disrespectful and shows that she is a spoiled brat who thinks doing some chores is slavery.
Oh no, call the thought police! Doesn't matter if it was disrespectful really as it was never meant to go to them, doesn't matter if she's a spoiled brat. She didn't do anything really wrong.

and it's not like "if you don't act grateful i'll brake your stuff". cause the first time she did this she was grounded for a couple of months. that obviously didn't work so the father tried something different, and hopefully this will work.
Okay, sorry "If you don't act grateful twice I'll break your shit". That better for you? And trying something different is irrelevant. It wasn't worth punishing in the first place.

we don't need more spoiled brats in the world.
What we don't need is people who overreact to petty words. Oh and thought police.
i like how in your answer you are attacking me and my parents instead of being relevant.
anyways im not going to reply if you answer to this.

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
Meh, he could've used a hammer to destory it. So what? It'd be also a lethal weapon if you want to. Or seeing he's living in a rural area im sure he has a pickaxe or an axe somewhere in his shed.

And destroying the laptop definitly - and then showing it to the brat - has more "oomph" than just giving it away. Waste? Sure.

It's dandy. Brats nowadays are way to spoiled.