Dad uses Facebook to teach daughter a lesson.

Spearmaster

Mar 10, 2010
Mortai Gravesend said:
Spearmaster said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
Spearmaster said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
Spearmaster said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
"Nope, typing works. Stop trying to be so disingenuous. I clearly meant talking as in face to face."

Whats wrong with talking face to face? I said facebook is not required, you said "neither is talking" now "typing works", so your against face to face communication?
Nothing, never said anything was. I'm pointing out that saying that FB is not required is irrelevant.

"Alright, if we agree that does not mean she should talk instead then it is irrelevant that she did not need Facebook."

Whats irrelevant is facebook being required to vent, she could have used the phone, sent an e-mail, texted or talked privately with friends all of which would have been more private and possibly not aggravated the father.
Congratulations. Yet again you are arguing against something I didn't say it seems. I never said it was required. Try again with something relevant. And it does not matter if it would have been more private or not aggravated the father. The question is whether he was right to punish.

"Then why argue?"

I said most likely only because with the limited facts we know we cant reach a true conclusion.
What else could be relevant?

"I did not say a social worker might not. I said to prove one would in this case. If you do not think a social worker would act on it, btw, then you lied when you said it was a possibility. If they would not, there is no possibility. Either you believe they could or you lied. And investigation is action."

your asking me to prove a possibility here.
And? So you prove it. If you cannot there is no reason to take it as a serious possibility.

"I did not say a social worker might not."

And I said it was possible, not would or likely even, that a social worker would "check into it" which means there is also the possibility that one would not.
It is quite relevant whether it is unlikely though. If it's incredibly unlikely then that's kind of like complaining that someone might be hit by lightning. Not a reasonable objection.

"And investigation is action."

A miss-wording on my part, but if there is suspicion a social worker has to "check into it", investigate was the best word I could come up with.
I used action to mean actually removing someone from the home or pressing formal charges.
Alright. Still not seeing a reason to take that possibility seriously.
"Alright. Still not seeing a reason to take that possibility seriously."

So you don't take the possibility of a social worker investigation or action seriously because an innocent facebook vent that got circulated?

"What else could be relevant?"

The father did say there was a previous similar indecent.

"I'm pointing out that saying that FB is not required is irrelevant."

I was just stating that it is irrelevant in either regard, it was merely a tool that was used and the reason she got caught.

"It is quite relevant whether it is unlikely though. If it's incredibly unlikely then that's kind of like complaining that someone might be hit by lightning. Not a reasonable objection."

I'm sure the father wouldn't want to have to talk to a social worker or be hit by lightning and might take steps to avoid both, wouldn't you?

"And? So you prove it. If you cannot there is no reason to take it as a serious possibility."

Well social workers choose weather or not something may warrant a closer look and they make decisions sometimes merely on rumors sometimes its nothing and sometimes they save lives.

"The question is whether he was right to punish."

The meat and potatoes here, the father felt he was, and I say that "I was not there, I don't know all the facts, I don't know him, I don't know his daughter and I don't know the living situation" Based on the facts I know I have to side with the father because he is a responsible adult which seems to provide for his daughter which seems to me to put him in the best position to determine weather or not and if so how to discipline his daughter.

That is all I really wanted to say

Phoenixlight

Aug 24, 2008
Owyn_Merrilin said:
I'm surprised that on this forum, of all places, nobody has answered this. It's illegal for soldiers to use them in war because of how much more lethal they are to the intended target than other types of bullets. They're actually encouraged for police officers and civilians, because they minimize unintended casualties by being less likely to go all the way through one person's body and into another's. That's why Mr. Jordan used them; it seriously lessened the likelihood of a ricochet.
Seems strange that police would be allowed something more deadlier than soldiers, is this the same for most countries outside the U.S.A. as well?

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Phoenixlight said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
I'm surprised that on this forum, of all places, nobody has answered this. It's illegal for soldiers to use them in war because of how much more lethal they are to the intended target than other types of bullets. They're actually encouraged for police officers and civilians, because they minimize unintended casualties by being less likely to go all the way through one person's body and into another's. That's why Mr. Jordan used them; it seriously lessened the likelihood of a ricochet.
Seems strange that police would be allowed something more deadlier than soldiers, is this the same for most countries outside the U.S.A. as well?
I'm not sure, but I'd imagine so. It's actually /less/ dangerous to use a hollowpoint bullet than a full metal jacket bullet when there are innocent bystanders present. With a full metal jacket, you stand less chance of killing your target than with a hollowpoint, but a lot more of the bullet going straight through and killing or injuring someone else. A hollowpoint is going to do a lot of damage to the first thing it hits, and then stop, minimizing the risk to innocent bystanders. If you think about it, it makes sense; in a war, who cares if your bullet goes through and hits another enemy soldier? That would be, if anything, a bonus. In a police situation, on the other hand, that other person would almost definitely be a civilian, which you do not want to hit.

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
Mortai Gravesend said:
JWAN said:
Hey, he bought the laptop therefore its his. Even if he did give it to his daughter shes a minor therefor the laptop is still his.

Hopefully she learned her lesson. She didn't the first time he warned her.
Her lesson that venting is not something she's allowed to do? What a nice lesson that is. Can't ever voice dissent to friends, no that's a mortal sin.
That had nothing to do with venting, the kid was out of line, the Father was venting. To be clear, I'm not saying what he did was right . I'd rather he just took it apart and made her earn it back.

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Phoenixlight said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
I'm not sure, but I'd imagine so. It's actually /less/ dangerous to use a hollowpoint bullet than a full metal jacket bullet when there are innocent bystanders present. With a full metal jacket, you stand less chance of killing your target than with a hollowpoint, but a lot more of the bullet going straight through and killing or injuring someone else. A hollowpoint is going to do a lot of damage to the first thing it hits, and then stop, minimizing the risk to innocent bystanders. If you think about it, it makes sense; in a war, who cares if your bullet goes through and hits another enemy soldier? That would be, if anything, a bonus. In a police situation, on the other hand, that other person would almost definitely be a civilian, which you do not want to hit.
Its a carryover from the Hague convention, 3rd declaration http://avalon.law.yale.edu/19th_century/dec99-03.asp
But it was wrapped in the same declaration that banned deadly gas etc.
* Geneva Protocol signed in 1925 actually added the stuff about gas and bullets, I get them confused but I guess the Geneva Protocol is considered an addition to the original...