Dad uses Facebook to teach daughter a lesson.

Kvaedi

Jul 7, 2011
Navvan said:
I came into this fully expecting to agree with the OP, but his use of a firearm was not irresponsible. Responsible use of a gun does not have to be a "last resort for protection". People shoot clay pigeons, cans and other targets all the time for fun/practice. So long as this is done in the proper environment by people who treat the gun with respect there is no real danger. Using it to shoot a laptop you own is no different, and this was both in the proper environment and treated the gun with respect even putting the gun on the ground and not shooting horizontally to ensure there was near zero risk. He used the gun not in an emotionally charged reaction, but after clear and conscious thought to use it to make a point. He was not threatening his child (with the gun) or anyone else. There is no reason not to use it to destroy an object you own to emphasize a point so long as you don't endanger anyone.

This is all coming from someone who thinks the USA needs far more gun regulation.
Same here, I came in hoping to start a great rant about how horrible a person he was for neglecting gun safety. Then I watched the video, and had my hopes dashed. He clearly was calm and collected, and used the gun properly, respectfully, and safely. He didn't come off as dangerous, wild, threatening, or anything of the sort.

monkeymo4d

Jan 22, 2012
Using it as a frisbee, pouring water on it,selling it, taking it away, using it as a trampoline.....etc

All of these options would have been fine heck I could imagine myself having fun doing them if she was my daughter and pissed me off that much but discharging a weapon which can be lethal which should only be used as self defence on a matter as trivial on this is a bit....much.

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
Well, he was mad. His daughter broke his rules in the most childish manner possible - twice - so he only responded in kind to show her what it's like.

If the lesson here wasn't "Don't break the rules" he probably would've sold or donated it, calm down people. Besides, legally, it's his computer, so he can do whatever he wants with it, short of using it as a bludgeon on someone's face.

Ramzal said:
usmarine4160 said:
Actually it is a right in America and that's not going to be changed so you're wrong ;)

Though I agree it was wrong to use a .45 like I said in the other thread. A 12 gauge with buckshot would've been about 20% cooler
Rights should be either taken away or made more strict when abused by an individual. When someone boycotts someone's funeral, they should be sued for disturbing the peace and harassment, when someone unloads an entire clip into a computer for the sake of being angry they should lose their right to use a firearm due to displaying little to no discipline with the tool.

I'm not wrong since our rights have been violated anyway, as our right to a fair trial when under arrest has been revoked anyway. (Which I do no see any positive outcome from and I do not support.) A gun is not a plaything or a toy. I'm not sure if you a trolling or you are honestly that deluded.

Edit: Besides, the law states that American's have the right to bare arms. Not to discharge them under any circumstance.
Then they wouldn't be rights, they're be privileges, and that means it's a hell of a lot easier for the government to suppress people. This is the exact opposite of what James Madison wanted.

Abusing your rights is a right in and of itself. I'm not saying you SHOULD, though.

edit: Oh, also, he wasn't exactly abusing his right. You can shoot whatever inanimate object you want, as long as you have the owner's permission. It's called "target practice." Furthermore, he didn't seem angry to me. He was very calm. It's like how a Buddhist monk (or Jedi) can kick your ass without getting emotional.

Sandytimeman

Brain Freeze...yay!
Jan 14, 2011
Ramzal said:
usmarine4160 said:
Rights should be either taken away or made more strict when abused by an individual.
This statement nearly made me drop my drink. Your an American, do NOT give up your rights. It seems like everyone is so damn ready to be drop their rights for a new law. Its that attitude that has lead to manditory molestation at airports, wire tappings, unlawful imprisonment with no trial and no charges, torture, and more all being legal. One by one they take our rights away. This man shot an inanimate object, he didn't shoot the pope, he didn't raise a hand to his child, get over yourself.

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
Wow... you people need to chill the fuck out. It's a laptop, not a puppy. I don't think he put it in any undue stress. He was using his gun responsibly. He fired it into the ground, with nobody else around, and obviously knew how to handle a gun safely. Jeez, I forget how many Europeans frequent this site until something vaguely gun related gets posted. Granted not all of you are European, and I hope not to offend in my generalization, but y'all got some fucked up and pretty childish views on guns if you think someone shooting by himself into the ground is irresponsible or overly dangerous.

EDITED: for spelling.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
As someone who has had a hand in raising a teenage girl let me tell you, that was the letter of metered responses. As for people saying things like "He could have just took it away" you are missing the point. When dealing with an irrational overly emotive drama queen teen The point is, it needed to be in a dramatic enough of a fashion for it to have the intended effect. Powerful enough to illicit shock and awe, not a response of "Whatevs"

Taking it away for 3 months didnt stop her from doing it again did it? So Dad did the responsible thing and raised the impact level in a safe and controlled environment. If she is 15 years old, shes certainly old enough to have the level of respect for her family to not have pushed her father to this point of resistance. If dad would have sold it, or gave it away, the impact of it would have been more lost, because the device still exists. By taking something precious to her and violently destroying it, it sends the exact message that needed to be sent, and maybe, it will be the wake up call that Dad was intending in the first place.

It honestly blows my mind how anyone could not see this guy as a parenting hero.

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
Ramzal said:
What is wrong with you people? This man just put 9 rounds into a stationary object because he was angry. Let me repeat myself; This man just unloaded a -gun- into a computer because he was angry. He has every right to punish his daughter, but this shows complete and total lack of control and discipline over himself by using a firearm to teach a lesson.

He lost count in how many bullets fired at that, because of his anger! And people support this? A gun is not a toy, it's a tool. A last resort and used to protect, not destroy. I've seen comments on this saying "An all American dad!" Are you people crazy or just plan stupid? Comments like that is exactly why our country is looked down on as gun tooting/war hungry morons! His entire point goes out the window when he shows how childish (Retaliating to her internet post--it's an internet post for crying out loud) with the use of a gun.

And people say the young are stupid.
I had a similar opinion, I even commented on the video saying something similar to this, I got top comment for a few seconds and ended up with about twelve angry replies. Other than using a gun improperly I also mentioned how petty and immature this "lesson" was, his daughter will only learn hatred from this, this isn't a mature, sensible response an adult should have. She was a brat but at least she is a CHILD, he is supposed to be an adult and not act out like this. He's essentially ruined his daughters life for the next few years, she won't live this down.

girzwald

Nov 16, 2011
Ramzal said:
usmarine4160 said:
Actually it is a right in America and that's not going to be changed so you're wrong ;)

Though I agree it was wrong to use a .45 like I said in the other thread. A 12 gauge with buckshot would've been about 20% cooler
Rights should be either taken away or made more strict when abused by an individual. When someone boycotts someone's funeral, they should be sued for disturbing the peace and harassment, when someone unloads an entire clip into a computer for the sake of being angry they should lose their right to use a firearm due to displaying little to no discipline with the tool.

I'm not wrong since our rights have been violated anyway, as our right to a fair trial when under arrest has been revoked anyway. (Which I do no see any positive outcome from and I do not support.) A gun is not a plaything or a toy. I'm not sure if you a trolling or you are honestly that deluded.

Edit: Besides, the law states that American's have the right to bare arms. Not to discharge them under any circumstance.
I'm glad people like you don't have control over my rights. He used his gun, to shoot his laptop (its his property even though its "his daughters") on land that he owned. That's pretty much the definition of responsible. All his, nobody else involved, nobody else in danger. Sorry that you don't agree with his decision, but for you to say he used it irresponsibly is beyond disgusting.

I find it quite ironic you saying someone should have their rights taken away for destroying their own property, breaking NO LAWS. Then ***** about slowly losing our rights. Make up your mind. Do you want rights to be protected or not? Cause you are contradicting yourself.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
Stalydan said:
-snip-
tl;dr This girl will now grow up to resent her father because he blew his fuse at something so minor rather than talking it out.
Pretty much everything you said. It sounds like she put it on Facebook to vent but otherwise kept quiet her complaints. When her father had a look at something she clearly didn't intend for them to see, then of course he would have to expect it to be something he wouldn't enjoy reading.

We don't even know her side of the story. Everyone is jumping to conclusions based on what one clearly very angry father is saying.

But anyway. Long story short, it isn't my place to say wrong or right, but I do believe his actions were extreme.

cyber95

Feb 28, 2008
I'm going to go ahead an copy something that somebody on Tumblr said that I agree with 100 percent.

moniquill said:
Unpopular opinion time:

No.

This is not ok.

If you have fucked up so badly at parenting that your kid is making posts like the above, property destruction and implied violence aren?t appropriate responses. This is not how functional adult people behave.

Hannah, in the video, doesn?t respect her father.

Given that her father invades her privacy, undermines her personal agency, and doesn?t have basic trust for her?.I fully comprehend why she doesn?t. Respect is earned and taught. If Hannah posts giant, frustrated rants about her chore load, it probably implies that she doesn?t feel that her efforts are appreciated or that she?s an integral member of the family or household (alienation and over individuation is a huge problem for teens; it?s part of the formation of adult identity separate from parents and kind of a huge trap.

Teenagers are frustrated because their lives are absurd. They?re expected to have adult behavior with no adult agency. Maturity and decision making are learned skills. If parents don?t like the way their teens are behaving, they need to ask themselves where that behavior was learned. If she feels entitled, what have you been doing -her entire life- to communicate the real value of what she has and should be grateful for? If she refers to the woman who cleans for you as ?the cleaning lady? is that because she?s noted that you treat that woman that way? Asking for payment for work is not unreasonable; it?s an understanding of capitalism. A less asshat response than ?are you out of your mind? would be a basic rundown of the costs of the household in terms of food, heating, etc and what percentage of that Hannah should reasonably be responsible for. Given that she has no economic agency of her own, expressing to her that her chores are a means of repayment for that.

I grew up -poor- and my parents were still giving me an allowance by the time I was ten because that?s how you teach kids how to manage earned income. I received a dollar a week (upgraded to five dollars a week when I was 12) for completing a list of chores. If they weren?t done, I didn?t get paid. Just like you don?t get paid at a job if you don?t show up. My parents also stopped buying luxury items for me around that age and made me buy them myself with earned and saved income from my chores, babysitting, recycling cans, making crafts and selling them, whatever. My parents helped me find jobs and gave me suggestions about what I could so to earn money. If Hannah is fifteen, she cannot legally obtain most forms of employment; has she been educated as to what economic opportunities are available to her? Because as a parent EDUCATING HER IS, IN FACT, YOUR JOB. You got her an application and made her apply? Did you take her with you and teach her the process of how to obtain applications and where to look for places that are hiring? Did you make sure the place you got the application from accepts underage employees (most do not) or walk her through the application process in terms of how to make herself an attractive applicant?

?When I was your age I?d moved out of the house, lived on my own, went to college while in highschool, worked two jobs, was a volunteer fireman??. Uh?.huh. And you didn?t manage to impart any of this work ethic on your children, apparently. Also: You grew up in a very different economy, as a man. I?m willing to bet you had parents or other helpful adults who made you aware of the opportunities available to you. You are judging your daughter for having a different outcome than you had, when she sure as shit didn?t have the same input.

Hannah is acting out in the most trivial of ways: Ranting and commiserating with friends. and even THAT outlet is being denied her. All the people above who liked and lauded this: Would you think it was awesome if Hanna was an adult woman who?d posted a frustrated rant about her significant other, and this was the significant other?s response? Or would you consider this to be emotional abuse and a redflag for accelerating relationship violence? Because that?s what this is: Emotional abuse. This is abusive parenting (looks like it?s in the wake of/a response to earlier emotionally negligent parenting, too).

If your kid is a spoiled brat? It is not the kid?s fault. Kids aren?t born spoiled brats. Parental behavior causes this. This man is reaping the seeds he has sewn, and because he?s unsatisfied with what his efforts have yielded, he?s responding with aggression and punishment and social humiliation.

That is -fucked up-. You are a -shitty parent-. You are not training your child to be a functional adult.If you child lacks life skills, if your child does not respect you, if your child cannot think critically or understand the value of money or comprehend the importance of maintaining a household THAT IS YOUR FUCKING FAULT. This kind of extreme behavior is SERIOUSLY too little too late, and an act of aggressive desperation because YOU FUCKED UP.

If I were advising Hannah in this situation? I?d be helping her figure out ways to get the fuck away from these people and hook her up with resources that would teach her actual life skills.

Worth noting? This dude is shooting in what is clearly a residential area. That is unsound (though not necessarily criminal in his locality) behavior. This is not something to be celebrated. Property destruction and implied violence are not things to be celebrated. Emotional abuse in response to shitty teen behavior that results from bad parenting in the first place is not something to be celebrated.

This whole fucking family needs to get to family counseling STAT.
Seriously, why is it the daughter's fault? And why is the response that people applaud not 'Talk to your daughter' and instead 'Make a mockery out of how she feels on Youtube?'

Kashrlyyk

Dec 30, 2010
cyber95 said:
I'm going to go ahead an copy something that somebody on Tumblr said that I agree with 100 percent.

Seriously, why is it the daughter's fault? And why is the response that people applaud not 'Talk to your daughter' and instead 'Make a mockery out of how she feels on Youtube?'
Finally someone who gets it! There is not a gene that makes people spoiled or immature, it is not something that just happens. No, IT IS LEARNED! And it is a sign of bad parenting.

So when this guy was confronted with the fact that he and his wife are SHIT at parenting he could not cope with loosing the delusion of being a good parent and punished HER for HIS failure. And only retards and other failures applaud that.

Kashrlyyk

Dec 30, 2010
Then they wouldn't be rights, they're be privileges, and that means it's a hell of a lot easier for the government to suppress people. This is the exact opposite of what James Madison wanted.
The second amendment was written at a time when 6 bullets per MINUTE was a fast shooter! I am convinced that it would have never been added if at that time modern weapons were around.

Teachingaddict

Nov 8, 2008
cyber95 said:

Seriously have you watched the video? He mentioned on more than one occasion this has happened before, and the punishments didn;t work. He has tried the 'normal' way she didn't listen. So he now tries something that he knows will hit her where it hurts. Please watch the video first.

What I find mildly amusing is the fact that I can bet, had he smashed it to pieces with a hammer, many, many people in this thread would have given their support, but because he used a gun -hell no!. Personally I think he is a bimming hero - in my job I see too many children get away with blue murder because parents are frightened of standing up and being 'tough'. Over the top maybe, but deserved, hell yes!

Kvaedi

Jul 7, 2011
Teachingaddict said:
cyber95 said:

Seriously have you watched the video? He mentioned on more than one occasion this has happened before, and the punishments didn;t work. He has tried the 'normal' way she didn't listen. So he now tries something that he knows will hit her where it hurts. Please watch the video first.

What I find mildly amusing is the fact that I can bet, had he smashed it to pieces with a hammer, many, many people in this thread would have given their support, but because he used a gun -hell no!. Personally I think he is a bimming hero - in my job I see too many children get away with blue murder because parents are frightened of standing up and being 'tough'. Over the top maybe, but deserved, hell yes!
To be perfectly honest I agree with him (the dad). And had he used a hammer I would have found it far more extreme. The difference between pulling a trigger calmly and flailing around with a hammer is massive, and I find the hammer to be a much more violent option.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Beautiful. Self-entitled ***** gets taught a lesson, $130 worth of software gets murdered, a couple of rounds of ammo got spent, and a dad got to thoroughly express his disappointment and anger at his aforementioned entitled daughter. Tough, an opportunity was certainly missed to take it out to a range and blow the living hell out out of it with an automatic, or even to put it into the skeet launch and see how many times one could hit it before it touched the ground.

Well done that man. The amenities available give an air of unearned entitlement. Personally, I'd just leave it on her desk, with a web address that she can look up at her leisure, on a post-it on top of it. If she wanted to discuss it, then we could talk.

That poor computer, though. It just underwent reconstructive surgery, only to be taken out and shot, execution style. Poor thing. It had just thought it would be stronger than ever, only to die.

J.j. Trusello

Oct 17, 2011
Parents should shoot things when their child misbehaves, yeah that makes sense. Lets just have everyone shoot something when someone disrespects them. Im pretty sure thats where the phrase an eye for an eye comes from.

alandavidson

Jun 21, 2010
Fun fact to any parent wanting to do this to their kid's laptop:

Once you give someone something, it's that person's property. Even if you're a parent giving your kid something. The argument "I paid for it, so I can do whatever I want with it" doesn't actually hold water.

What we just witnessed was a guy filming himself stealing and destroying someone else's property - a felony offence.

Parents, please discipline your kids, but don't be idiots about it.

Kvaedi

Jul 7, 2011
alandavidson said:
Fun fact to any parent wanting to do this to their kid's laptop:

Once you give someone something, it's that person's property. Even if you're a parent giving your kid something. The argument "I paid for it, so I can do whatever I want with it" doesn't actually hold water.

What we just witnessed was a guy filming himself stealing and destroying someone else's property - a felony offence.

Parents, please discipline your kids, but don't be idiots about it.
That is the most flat out wrong thing I have ever read. It was his property, he bought it, and allowed her to use it. You come off as just plain childish; I don't mean to insult you, but taking things away when a child misbehaves IS parenting.