Dad uses Facebook to teach daughter a lesson.

Sexy Devil

Jul 12, 2010
renegade7 said:
Well I have to say that some of the things that girl said were rather bitchy...come on, chores? Guess what: everyone does chores. That part where she said 'We have a cleaning lady, just have her do it' did not endear her to me. And bedtime at 10pm? Wow, I used to work at night and didn't get home until 3 in the morning, I would have LOVED to be in bed by 10. If she had such a big issue with it she could have just, I don't know, talked to her parents about it.

As for his reaction...well...no. You want your kids to do chores? Get them to respect you. Even if you're the parent, you still have to earn respect, especially with teenagers. And I don't mean like pandering, but there's a difference between being a relentless hardass and being a good parent. You know how you lose the respect of your kids (or anyone for that matter)? Shoot their stuff. How he managed to get a job in IT I may never understand...
When she said "cleaning floors" I thought she had to go through the whole motions of vacuuming, mopping, steaming carpets, scrubbing tiles and I did find it ridiculous to expect that every day. But sweeping? Come on, I'm a complete bludger and I do more housework than this girl.

On-topic: He was responsible about the shooting; he did it in a deserted area where it was a certainty that nobody else was getting hurt. Technically it's his laptop too so it's kinda just an expensive, glorified target practice. My only issue with this is that the girl isn't going to get the message and will just assume her dad's crazy.

alandavidson

Jun 21, 2010
Kvaedi said:
alandavidson said:
Fun fact to any parent wanting to do this to their kid's laptop:

Once you give someone something, it's that person's property. Even if you're a parent giving your kid something. The argument "I paid for it, so I can do whatever I want with it" doesn't actually hold water.

What we just witnessed was a guy filming himself stealing and destroying someone else's property - a felony offence.

Parents, please discipline your kids, but don't be idiots about it.
That is the most flat out wrong thing I have ever read. It was his property, he bought it, and allowed her to use it. You come off as just plain childish; I don't mean to insult you, but taking things away when a child misbehaves IS parenting.
Read the law, it's there. Once you give someone something as a gift, it's that person's property.

As far as parenting goes, taking the laptop away from her for a while would probably do the girl good (and not a felony). What would be better: Family counseling.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Mortai Gravesend said:
I'll repeat what I said in the other thread first:

Well it's his right to take it away and if she's being a brat, sure. But I think using a gun like that seems kind of irresponsible. I mean really, he's treating a weapon kind of like a toy there. And destroying it at all seems immature. Keep it from her, sell it, give it away, but why waste it? Out of some silly rage at a stupid comment?

As for your argument... Well I think that's silly. It's not as if there appeared to be any real danger to him firing into a laptop on the ground outside. Why would that change your mind? It seems a tad irresponsible as I said, but it didn't appear to be anything serious. No apparent danger really. If he pulled it out and started shooting at the laptop while she was using it, then that would seem problematic. This just seems... childish but not an issue.
Symbolism.

That's why he destroyed it. But I do realize that effigies aren't quite the rage for the average person as they once were.

He fired at a non-living object in the middle of farmland with no other living thing for a great distance away.

People fire guns every day all over the country at nonliving things within far closer proximity of other people.

Would I have been less concerned had he used a hammer, or a sword, or something else? Not really. He did something that would have been fairly commonplace a few generations back (just shooting something else instead of a laptop, wooden toys maybe).

He lost count? Well yeah...he's kind of doing a video and only has one take. I'm fairly camera shy myself and flub my thoughts.

My father and grandfathers were bother farmers, they take disobedience extremely seriously. I don't condone it but this guy acted like just about anyone I've known in his (apparent) profession.

alandavidson said:
Read the law, it's there. Once you give someone something as a gift, it's that person's property.

As far as parenting goes, taking the laptop away from her for a while would probably do the girl good (and not a felony). What would be better: Family counseling.
I don't believe this is the case with kids. If it was then parents couldn't take away the money of child stars.

J.j. Trusello said:
Parents should shoot things when their child misbehaves, yeah that makes sense. Lets just have everyone shoot something when someone disrespects them. Im pretty sure thats where the phrase an eye for an eye comes from.
No I'm pretty sure that phrase came from maiming someone who maimed you, etc.

If someone punched you and you in turn punched a tree, that's not an eye for an eye, its not even on the same planet.

If everyone shot inanimate things to vent their anger I imagine we'd have less people getting hurt. I know personally getting into martial arts helped me vent out an incredible amount of internal turmoil as a young person, I ended up a happy and healthy individual.

Violence against nonliving things or safely with another willing person is a great way to help burn off steam and produce a fairly copious amount of endorphins.

I'm saying this also as someone who is deeply against war and violence against unwilling people. These things are some of the highest levels of horror in my eyes. People should be far more concerned with the reckless ejection of soldiers into foreign lands than a random guy shooting a portable computer.

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
Sexy Devil said:
renegade7 said:
Well I have to say that some of the things that girl said were rather bitchy...come on, chores? Guess what: everyone does chores. That part where she said 'We have a cleaning lady, just have her do it' did not endear her to me. And bedtime at 10pm? Wow, I used to work at night and didn't get home until 3 in the morning, I would have LOVED to be in bed by 10. If she had such a big issue with it she could have just, I don't know, talked to her parents about it.

As for his reaction...well...no. You want your kids to do chores? Get them to respect you. Even if you're the parent, you still have to earn respect, especially with teenagers. And I don't mean like pandering, but there's a difference between being a relentless hardass and being a good parent. You know how you lose the respect of your kids (or anyone for that matter)? Shoot their stuff. How he managed to get a job in IT I may never understand...
When she said "cleaning floors" I thought she had to go through the whole motions of vacuuming, mopping, steaming carpets, scrubbing tiles and I did find it ridiculous to expect that every day. But sweeping? Come on, I'm a complete bludger and I do more housework than this girl.

On-topic: He was responsible about the shooting; he did it in a deserted area where it was a certainty that nobody else was getting hurt. Technically it's his laptop too so it's kinda just an expensive, glorified target practice. My only issue with this is that the girl isn't going to get the message and will just assume her dad's crazy.
This. My dad did a similar thing when I was younger, namely crushing my Game Boy Advance (which was all I really had at the time) with a hammer because he thought it was the root cause of my ADHD. Anyway, all I gained from the experience was a new GBA, because three days later he bought me a new one in a fit of guilt.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Kvaedi said:
To be perfectly honest I agree with him (the dad). And had he used a hammer I would have found it far more extreme. The difference between pulling a trigger calmly and flailing around with a hammer is massive, and I find the hammer to be a much more violent option.
Yeah, I've always seen melee combat as much more visceral than guns.

That's part of the problem with guns, they make it easier to separate you from the damage you are inflicting. Though in that same way they are the better option for someone who is upset but not in a blood rage to express their disdain to a target, sign, laptop, etc.

Just imagine in your head getting shot, then imagine someone hacking at you with a machete. Both would be terrible but one (at least in my head) is far more horrifying than the other (the machete).

A Raging Emo

Apr 14, 2009
The father definitely has the right idea, but the problem is he's just made his daughter absolutely despise him, now.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Ramzal said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kl1ujzRidmU

I have already posted about this. So I will just take what I posted and put it here:

What is wrong with you people? This man just put 9 rounds into a stationary object because he was angry. Let me repeat myself; This man just unloaded a -gun- into a computer because he was angry. He has every right to punish his daughter, but this shows complete and total lack of control and discipline over himself by using a firearm to teach a lesson.

He lost count in how many bullets fired at that, because of his anger! And people support this? A gun is not a toy, it's a tool. A last resort and used to protect, not destroy. I've seen comments on this saying "An all American dad!" Are you people crazy or just plan stupid? Comments like that is exactly why our country is looked down on as gun tooting/war hungry morons! His entire point goes out the window when he shows how childish (Retaliating to her internet post--it's an internet post for crying out loud) with the use of a gun.

And people say the young are stupid.
I once believed that a gun should be a right, however after seeing how he used his firearm and people's encouragement of his action, I now believe that having a gun should be treated as a privilege instead of a right. I am an American, and I DO NOT agree with this man's methods of use of a firearm, nor raising a child.

Edit: However, chores are fine. Go chores.
I saw this on facebook and quite frankly, I couldnt agree more. The daughter is a class C **** and needs to be taght a lesson. its not like he beat the lesson into her like some priest did, so whats the big deal? He wanted to send a major lesson and point, and he wanted to send it to her. Just cause he did this once doesnt mean he has anger issues. you're reading WAY too much into an isolated event without knowing the guy personally.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Ramzal said:
usmarine4160 said:
Actually it is a right in America and that's not going to be changed so you're wrong ;)

Though I agree it was wrong to use a .45 like I said in the other thread. A 12 gauge with buckshot would've been about 20% cooler
Rights should be either taken away or made more strict when abused by an individual. When someone boycotts someone's funeral, they should be sued for disturbing the peace and harassment, when someone unloads an entire clip into a computer for the sake of being angry they should lose their right to use a firearm due to displaying little to no discipline with the tool.

I'm not wrong since our rights have been violated anyway, as our right to a fair trial when under arrest has been revoked anyway. (Which I do no see any positive outcome from and I do not support.) A gun is not a plaything or a toy. I'm not sure if you a trolling or you are honestly that deluded.

Edit: Besides, the law states that American's have the right to bare arms. Not to discharge them under any circumstance.
With all due respect, you are wrong. The right to bear arms is a right whether you agree with it or not. The WBC has the right to protest funerals and we have the right to protest their protests. And just because the government has done things to revoke or lessen our rights doesn't mean we should be okay with them revoking or lessening other rights. That is complete bullshit. You should be angry anytime the government decides that our rights are too strong. That isn't done to protect us. It's done to protect themselves from us.

generals3

Mar 25, 2009
That video cracked me up. Well i guess two lessons have to be learned: privacy on facebook is the biggest myth ever. Never post anything you wouldn't want someone to see.
And secondly: don't act like a spoilt brat. Now off course the dad might have been sugar coating things but based on what he said his demands from her weren't that unreasonable. And while many teenagers most likely have it much easier than that one chick, it ain't a reason to act like a ***** on facebook.

To be honest i found the whole using a gun to shoot the laptop rather amusing and original.

BathorysGraveland

Dec 7, 2011
I see nothing wrong with this really. Maybe using a firearm on a laptop is a bit much - a blunt object would be cheaper and easier, but hey, whatever works. A parent has a right to discipline their child providing it is within reason, and taking away their luxuries certainly is within reason.

DarkishFriend

Sep 19, 2011
While I do think discharging a gun into the laptop was a bit over the top and posting the video on her facebook as way over the top, I can't exactly blame him. His daughter obviously didn't know her place in the house and, from the way the post was worded, thought she was Queen in the house. I've had chores since I was around 12, and while most teenagers I did shirk them I never acted like made me a slave to them, I knew if I wasn't their child I would've over-stayed my welcome 1 week into staying there.

Slightly on topic, while I know I'm guilty of this, kids now a days act like their parents owe them something, and this isn't just a general statement to be a dick, I know first hand. I don't exactly know why this is, I think it's because this generation is focused around digital objects. More comes to us so easily than any other generation; information, entertainment. A huge second world can be accessed by most American teenagers, so most don't really know the value of real world objects, and don't know really how much work can go into getting something. Especially if they haven't had a job yet.

I'm 19 and I've just recently really learned the value of a dollar and how much effort it takes to obtain it, and I've had a job for two years lol.

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
The dad shouldn't have shot the laptop. He should've destroyed it with some other method that's less reckless, and less dangerous to the people in the area.

generals3

Mar 25, 2009
smithy_2045 said:
The dad shouldn't have shot the laptop. He should've destroyed it with some other method that's less reckless, and less dangerous to the people in the area.
The way the gun was used wasn't dangerous for anyone. He didn't shoot in the wild, the laptop was on the ground meaning that no lost bullet that went through could have hit anyone. So how is that dangerous? Worst case scenario he killed some ants that crowled under the laptop.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
omega 616 said:
You also pick some really weird things to ban ...

I also heard wal mart banned a scissor sisters CD for it's lyrics, doesn't the same store also sell guns and CD's from artists like 50 cent and eminem, who swear, use words like "nigga" and aren't exactly woman friendly.

Anyway more on topic. Going redneck on a laptop is little "typical American" but FPSRussia does shit like this all the time.
What??
The Kinder egg is BANNED in USA??!
Poor children will never know what they're missing out on :,(

On Topic:
I don't know what to say, doesn't sound like my methods of choice for an upbringing.
I am really stunned, really.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
Guffe said:
omega 616 said:

I also heard wal mart banned a scissor sisters CD for it's lyrics, doesn't the same store also sell guns and CD's from artists like 50 cent and eminem, who swear, use words like "nigga" and aren't exactly woman friendly.

Anyway more on topic. Going redneck on a laptop is little "typical American" but FPSRussia does shit like this all the time.
What??

On Topic:
I don't know what to say, doesn't sound like my methods of choice for an upbringing.
Wait till you find those bars of kinder egg chocolate....

OT: I understand he did it to make a point, but it seems like he responded with equal measures of childishness.

Kvaedi

Jul 7, 2011
generals3 said:
smithy_2045 said:
The way the gun was used wasn't dangerous for anyone. He didn't shoot in the wild, the laptop was on the ground meaning that no lost bullet that went through could have hit anyone. So how is that dangerous? Worst case scenario he killed some ants that crowled under the laptop.
Don't you know bullets-especially holowpoints like he was using that are designed specifically to expend most of their energy on impact can fly through the ground, rocket out and lock on like heat seeking missiles to anything with a pulse within a five mile radius?

Really guys. He shot at the ground, with only himself present, using holowpoints. The only way he could have possible done this safer is if he first put on a bulletproof vest, police taped his entire property, and put up fliers throughout the neighborhood warning everyone to take shelter at specifically the time he was filming. Alright, so I'm being overdramatic. Maybe he could have put it on a stand to eliminate any risk of riccocheting bits from the ground, but he did not in any way pose any imaginable danger to anyone but himself, and the danger to himself was less than we experience every time we walk on slightly uneven ground.

He'd be more likely to hurt himself swinging a hammer than shooting the gun like he did.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Baneat said:
Guffe said:
omega 616 said:

What??

On Topic:
Wait till you find those bars of kinder egg chocolate....

OT: I understand he did it to make a point, but it seems like he responded with equal measures of childishness.
Oh phew, at least you have those, then it's OK, no need to worry anymore xD

Yeah, there's a wall of text up on page 3 which sais most of this pretty clearly.
And I guess childish is a way to explain this, but hey, if you have problem there are 3 ways of fixing it.
1) solve the problem
2) wait untill the problem solves itself/goes away
3) make sure the problem doesn't excist anymore

He clearly went for optio number 3 althou Facebook and all her updates are still there so he made number 3 like 50% done, I doubt he will shoot the kid...