Dad uses Facebook to teach daughter a lesson.

dragonswarrior

Also a Social Justice Warrior
Feb 13, 2012
SO!!! That was intense.

The basic issue of this thread appears to be the fact that he used a gun to trash his daughters laptop. Forgetting any and all parenting issues for a moment, lets just focus on the fact that he used a gun to trash a laptop. Oh, and that he also used hollow tip rounds.

Seriously. The kind designed to do maximum damage to someone's anything. Why are these allowed? Why the french expletive are these allowed? What is wrong with this horrible horrible country called america? Citizens can acquire .45's and load them with hollow tip rounds. I... ergh... nyurf...

Okay. Let me give some backstory. I live in DC. The great shining capital. Each year over a hundred people die due to gunshot wounds in the DC metropolitan area alone. My wife's uncle was executed by a gunshot to the back of the head. It was called a case of mistaken identity, because he was widely known as being extremely nice. Basically, he got killed by a gun, from a distance, because some punk thought he was someone else.

Every week in the papers I see further examples of why having loose gun laws DOES. NOT. WORK. When you get a culture where it is okay to take a weapon, a handgun, the kind of gun that is designed for the sole purpose of ending the life of another human being, then something is wrong. Something is failing. If he had pored coke on it it would have been fine. Dropped it in the river? Fine. Thrown it in the bin after dropping a rock on it? Fine. If he had taken a baseball bat to it I would have been a little freaked but fine.

But he decided to shoot it. And everyone around him probably thinks that what he did is fine. Just participating in a violent victimizing system, perfectly cool, boy he sure taught her a lessen didn't he?

That all being said, I question the lessen too. I think he really needs to be asking himself why his daughter feels this way. Teens, despite being pretty stupid, rarely take such drastic action without cause. While the father rationally and it seems accurately addresses his daughters concerns, he then turns around and blows up her laptop. That, to me, speaks of some issues all around. Odds are his daughter is just using the chores as a fighting point to try and express some of the issues actually bothering her that she is probably having trouble articulating. Yea. I'm being a pompous ass and judging someone else's parenting. But seeing as how one day my kids are gonna have to grow up with your kids, I don't see too much problem in telling you that you're DOING IT WRONG.

Edit: I would like to make it clear that I am not saying, per se, that the father is a bad parent. I'm just saying he could do better. Much better in some cases. He has had problems with this before and despite the relatively harsh punishment dealt couldn't stop them. Which means the problem, whatever it was (probably not chores since odds are he really was right about those) did not go away and is still there. He, as the parent, should figure out what the issue actually is and address it instead of blowing up his daughters laptop and making any and all issues worse.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Phoenixlight said:
I thought hollow point bullets were illegal?
I'm surprised that on this forum, of all places, nobody has answered this. It's illegal for soldiers to use them in war because of how much more lethal they are to the intended target than other types of bullets. They're actually encouraged for police officers and civilians, because they minimize unintended casualties by being less likely to go all the way through one person's body and into another's. That's why Mr. Jordan used them; it seriously lessened the likelihood of a ricochet.

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
SnakeoilSage said:
axlryder said:
You mean his stutter? Yeah, that's called a stutter. He has one. If you've somehow never talked to a person with a stutter in your entire life, just go to his other vids, he has one in those too. Please don't go attempting to admit a person's speech impediment as evidence of some fabricated rage.
I'm sorry, but generally one who employs conjecture and weak correlations as methods of defamation is doing little more than undermining their own credibility.
I recognize a speech impediment; I know people who stutter. I know people who stutter when they're nervous about being in front of audiences and not wanting to screw up, and I know the stutter of people who just stutter regardless of their emotional mindset.

This man has the nervous tic of someone trying to spew bullshit without losing his cool; it stems from him being furious and trying desperately to articulate it in a way that doesn't expose him for the temper-tantrum-throwing child that he's being, the same kind of tic any politician or businessman would get if they got cornered in a press conference and had to maintain a facade to keep from losing face. The discomfort stems from knowing somewhere deep down that he's a mean-spirited bully who got stood up to, and had to draw a firearm because that's where he gets his confidence and power from. If this is how he deals with his anger issues then its no wonder his family is so screwed up. Whether his anger is justified for letting his daughter become self-entitled brat it irrelevant.
more far-reaching, baseless conjecture that makes you look like an uninformed individual who thinks that merely being able to come up with a convoluted explanation for something somehow makes you sound credible. Watch any of his other videos. THE MAN HAS A STUTTER and speaks in the exact same manner in those videos as he does here. You're only further cementing your bias with this absolutely ridiculous attempt at sounding like you know what you're talking about.

J3bba

Dec 7, 2010
usmarine4160 said:
Actually it is a right in America and that's not going to be changed so you're wrong ;)

Though I agree it was wrong to use a .45 like I said in the other thread. A 12 gauge with buckshot would've been about 20% cooler
Rights CAN be taken away. You have a right to vote, some criminals lost their right to vote with as part of their sentence. Right to bear children, some parents have their children taken away from them because they're not treating them right. Rights can be taken away under certain circumstances.

bakan

Jun 17, 2011
So she rants about her parents to her friends (which is normal for a teenager) on facebook and blocked off all other users to see the post, to ensure a private conversation.

Hmm...the only thing she'll learn from this is that facebook isn't a good place to rant, better use undocumented chats...

Indignation837

Apr 11, 2010
Woah. It was a little extreme, but if everything he said is true, and there wasn't anything else going on behind the scenes, she sounds like an entitled little brat that deserved to have her computer taken away. Shooting it was the most over the top way to do it, but it serves as a good example to kids how easy they have things these days. However, I've known some WEIRD conservative christian parents in my time who like to distort the facts, and I have a suspicion that something was going on that wasn't mentioned in the video.

Tayh

Apr 6, 2009
This won't solve anything.
If you got a problem with someone, TALK with them. Don't teach her that it's okay to destroy stuff, as an alternative means of channeling frustrations, instead of confronting the actual issue.
She is 15 years old, ffs. TEACH her how to deal with situations like a mature adult, don't encourage more passive-aggressive actions.

Videos like this, and the amount of likes versus dislikes that video recieved, is the reason why so many people have nothing but contempt for the american mindset.

Zacharious-khan

Mar 29, 2011
if i tiered Youtube wherein Nicepeter was at the top and Fred (shudder) was at the bottom that video would be down there with Fred, it just bad, uninteresting.

there's my 2 cents

chinangel

Sep 25, 2009
i think this guy was being an ass. As someone who used to be a teen I know teens do stupid things. It's part of growing up, and we get punished. however, how we are punished doesn't leave us. you complain about your parents and your parent's response is to destroy your things and rage at you..and humiliate you?

you will NOT forget that.

I don't know their stories, but I do know that one of them will regret this later on. She'll regret it now, he'll regret it later.

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
I never liked my parents forcing me to chores. Don't get me wrong cleaning my mess is one thing, but folding my parents laundry (all of it, underwear and all), cleaning up their room so I can vacuum, their bathroom, were some things at 15 I found unfair. But they would BUY me things in return. Being a gamer when I asked my parents for something it would generally be expensive. Now, I of course would end up cleaning the kitchen, dinning room, living room, bathroom, you know general things I messed up. But thats what I thought was expected as a kid. I mean isn't it?

I didn't have a job until I was 19. While my childhood wasn't like that of kids in some countries as a kid in America it sucked. The last thing I needed was a job to steal even more of my childhood away. My parents agreed as long as I took the consequences in stride. AKA I don't own many "cool" things, I don't own a car, and I take other responsibilities to make up for the fact I refuse to work.

Now I never had a chance to be truly rebellious as a kid. When I turned 18 my parents took me to a club where a comedy skit was taking place. I was immediately kicked out because I was under 21. I never for a minute had the I'm an adult I do what I want attitude. So I can not be 100% positive on this, but I believe this seems to be a normal teenage your not my boss bs. And he just strengthened that rebellious nature by doing this. I very much doubt her friends are going to take the Dad's side. Maybe some parents, but anything that involves a gun tends to get frowned upon.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
I think a lot of people judging the man's use of the gun need to get off their high horse. Seriously, he seems to know the rules/laws of gun use better than most people in this thread. We don't know the entire situation of what happened from either side of this so I think that people shouldn't be judging this guy's character simply because he used the gun. He may have have enough of his daughter's disrespect. We were only told of 2 incident of this Facebook rebelliousness, he may have had to ground here many times before. You don't know.

This faux-intellectual attitude is really hampering the community on these forums and this is another case of it. Most posts are coming from people who think that they're Havard Lawyers or the next budding philosopher. It's getting real pretentious reading through this thread. Take a step back and look for a second. Do you really know enough about what went on to be judging this man's parenting abilities?

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Mortai Gravesend said:
Midgeamoo said:
Ok, so I've kind of found here that this thread, with its 548 replies, is getting pretty ridiculous and pointless now. None of the arguments made for the father or for the girl even matter and have no basis, so lets all go together to the mystical world of logic land, and all find out why together shall we?

The video is 8 minutes long. In it all that we see or hear from this man, is that he is a father of a teenage girl, who has bitched about him behind his back on facebook, after spending money on her laptop for her. He then expresses his frustration with this, and shoots a laptop with a pistol.

Now, I think we should all know here, that relationships between parents and children on average tend to go on for a bit longer than 8 minutes. A lot of events and complications will happen throughout their lives and their relationship, they will feel differently about each other as time goes on, and certain themes will tend to emerge and dissipate as the child begins to grow up, and the parents will react to these themes and phases with the best interest of the child in mind (hopefully). This is a very complex cycle of emotions and conversations and living with each other, that in no way can any of us here comment on having seen the father shoot her laptop on a particular day (even if you do find it immature, angry or funny).

And that's the kicker. Any argument or statement for or against either party on this thread is based on extrapolation, do you see? Everybody watching that video is looking into an 8 minute window of this family's life and circumstances, some people here are assuming, based on this brief 'encounter' with the father here, that he is a gun toting redneck with no parental skills at all, and that he probably has a history of erratic behavior or violence, and that the events preceding this video consisted of bad parenting, him neglecting his daughter and making her work for nothing, and that the events proceeding the video will consist of harsh punishment, more neglecting his daughter and making her life miserable. Others are assuming that the girl is an ungrateful, spoiled brat who had it coming to her, and that the events preceding this video consisted of her constantly moaning at her father, talking about him behind his back and being lazy and not doing her chores, and that the events proceeding the video consisted of her being righteously punished, and her father having her find the values of honest work and independence.

We do not, nor will we ever know, that any of these things are true. Everybody here is guessing from this tiny, insignificant gesture, the true nature of this family's life. Some may be doing it because they have experienced similar spats with their parents, and empathize with the girl, some may be doing it because they dislike people showing disrespect. Either way, you see what you want to see with this video, you are making up your own timeline of this family's history and future either side of this 8 minute video. Some people are trying to psychologically analyse this guy from the way he behaves in front of a camera for a few minutes, some are trying to scrutinize the facebook posts, and I honestly have no clue why, this is none of your business, I'm sure you wouldn't like the rest of the world judging your family issues. These are all pointless gestures anyway, nobody wins from this thread, there's nothing to be debated because we know nothing else of this family, we won't know who 'wins' in the end, but we will know that a lot of people will lose their time when they could at least be discussing something more worthwhile and interesting on this forums, if not just taking a break from them all together (seriously, the level of 'heated discussion' here is getting ridiculous for such a trivial topic, sometimes some people need to take a look at what they're getting so wound up about).

Now I think I'm being too optimistic of the escapist community here when I say this, but it's worth a try:
/thread
Erm, not seeing how any of that means I can't judge what an appropriate reaction to what she said is. Don't really care how inaccurate it is, it was a rant to her friends. That's not really worthy of any particular reaction in my mind.

I can also judge whether it is fair to make someone else pay for something you decided to ruin. She didn't ruin the laptop, didn't ruin the $130 of work, use those bullets. That's just petty to make her pay for them. I can see those things regardless of the further details.
You were just told that judging a guy based on an 8 minute YouTube video was ridiculous, so you go back to judging the man based on that same video? Do you know how this 15 year old acts? Do you personally know what either the father or herself is like outside this video? How do you know that the 2 Facebook rants mentioned are the only things that ave happened here? You don't. And that's what Midgeamoo is saying. It's really a criticism of the Escapist Forum community being a bit pretentious and commenting on the situation like we were all jury members to a court case.

An 8 minute YouTube video is not enough to be passing judgment of someone's skills as a parent, or as a human being.

Like I said before, I lot of people in these forums need to get off their high horse.

ChildishLegacy

Apr 16, 2010
AzrealMaximillion said:
You were just told that judging a guy based on an 8 minute YouTube video was ridiculous, so you go back to judging the man based on that same video? Do you know how this 15 year old acts? Do you personally know what either the father or herself is like outside this video? How do you know that the 2 Facebook rants mentioned are the only things that ave happened here? You don't. And that's what Midgeamoo is saying. It's really a criticism of the Escapist Forum community being a bit pretentious and commenting on the situation like we were all jury members to a court case.

An 8 minute YouTube video is not enough to be passing judgment of someone's skills as a parent, or as a human being.

Like I said before, I lot of people in these forums need to get off their high horse.
Somebody... somebody paid attention to a post that wasn't full of opinions and arguments?
*Angelic music*
Thank you for actually paying attention to my wall of reason, seems nobody else has even bothered and just gets back to quoting each other and telling each other why they are '100% wrong'.

Nielas

Dec 5, 2011
AzrealMaximillion said:
I think a lot of people judging the man's use of the gun need to get off their high horse. Seriously, he seems to know the rules/laws of gun use better than most people in this thread. We don't know the entire situation of what happened from either side of this so I think that people shouldn't be judging this guy's character simply because he used the gun. He may have have enough of his daughter's disrespect. We were only told of 2 incident of this Facebook rebelliousness, he may have had to ground here many times before. You don't know.

This faux-intellectual attitude is really hampering the community on these forums and this is another case of it. Most posts are coming from people who think that they're Havard Lawyers or the next budding philosopher. It's getting real pretentious reading through this thread. Take a step back and look for a second. Do you really know enough about what went on to be judging this man's parenting abilities?
I really have no problem with the gun safety. He was in a secluded area, fired into the ground and used bullets that were less likely to ricochet.

My big problem is with destroying the laptop just to prove a point. That is a valuable piece of property and if he really wanted to teach his daughter a valuable lesson, he could have donated it to charity.