Dad uses Facebook to teach daughter a lesson.

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
Hey, he bought the laptop therefore its his. Even if he did give it to his daughter shes a minor therefor the laptop is still his.

Hopefully she learned her lesson. She didn't the first time he warned her.

Don Savik

Aug 27, 2011
I like how emotional damage is ok nowadays. If he would've taken off his belt and whipped her he would've been the scourge of the internet, but instead, telling the internet that she is a stuck up ***** and humiliating her for everyone to see without her being able to defend herself OVER A MUTHA --CKING FACEBOOK POST is encouraged with much gusto.

This is a generational problem, of old idiot americans not being able to adapt to modern norms. What kind of kid is supposed to do those ridiculous chores? She isn't a goddam farmhand or a maid.

F this country.

moviedork

Mar 25, 2011
I liked everything up until he shoots the laptop. What he should have done was donated it to a poor family who would really appreciate it.

Jzolr0708

Apr 6, 2009
Ramzal said:
usmarine4160 said:
Actually it is a right in America and that's not going to be changed so you're wrong ;)

Though I agree it was wrong to use a .45 like I said in the other thread. A 12 gauge with buckshot would've been about 20% cooler
Rights should be either taken away or made more strict when abused by an individual. When someone boycotts someone's funeral, they should be sued for disturbing the peace and harassment, when someone unloads an entire clip into a computer for the sake of being angry they should lose their right to use a firearm due to displaying little to no discipline with the tool.

I'm not wrong since our rights have been violated anyway, as our right to a fair trial when under arrest has been revoked anyway. (Which I do no see any positive outcome from and I do not support.) A gun is not a plaything or a toy. I'm not sure if you a trolling or you are honestly that deluded.

Edit: Besides, the law states that American's have the right to bare arms. Not to discharge them under any circumstance.

I completely disagree. It is his right to use a gun as he wills on his own property. He is not hurting any other invdividual, and he owns the laptop. And in addition, suing for disturbing the peace? I don't like what Westboro Baptist Church does anymore than others but I will completely support their right to do so. The US was formed by people looking to escape persecution for their beliefs. If we start attacking WBC just because we don't like their ideas, where does it end?

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
TorqueConverter said:
Is it legal to discharge a firearm in that area? Take the laptop to the range guy and blow holes through it there.
Not if he's outside the city limits. He's from North Carolina (same as me) and given where he is it's not that hard to be outside the city limits. Look at the background there's hardly anything around plus it was on the ground not suspended in the air.

Apollo45

Jan 30, 2011
RedBird said:
Apollo45 said:
Meh, my dad taught me at a very young age how to use firearms. We go hunting and shooting together quite a bit, and it's one of the primary ways we've bonded over the years. He's an engineer and I'm a writer, he tends to be extremely logical and calm where I'm only just now starting to grow into that side of me. If it weren't for the hunting and shooting, I can imagine there would be quite a bit more tension between me and him.

So, yes, good parenting can involve guns.
That wasn't my main point, but, to adress that, It seems slightly worrying your dad had you killing animals from a young age. I don't want to turn this into a personal thing, But good parents don't give their kids guns, point them at a small woodland creature and say 'go nuts.'
Well, I know that wasn't your main point, but for me it was important to address. Like you said, you can't make a general statement and expect no one to disagree.

At any rate, that's not at all how it happened. I started out with BB guns when I was about 6. Before I could even hold the gun my dad drilled safety into me, and whenever I made a mistake with it - even though a BBgun would barely break the skin, much less kill someone - he'd make sure I both knew I made the mistake and not to make it again. I can't say he was nice about it, but that's not something you can be nice with. I didn't pick up an actual gun until years later, after I had gone out to a few ranges with him and watched him use an actual gun. And I wasn't pointing my gun at small woodland creatures until I was intimately familiar with the weapons and had gone through the required hunter's safety course in order to get my license. That didn't happen until I was in middle school.

Erm... I'm going to spoiler the rest of this. I typed it out, but going back over it it may just spark a debate on gun laws and whatnot. Still, I spent a bit of time on it, and I think it might give a bit of an idea of what the shooting world is like to those who haven't experienced it, which I feel is important. However, if you don't want to get into a debate on it, or don't want to read it, then ignore the spoiler and move along.

Admittedly, not everyone who uses guns goes through quite that process, but everyone who hunts legally with them goes through their hunter's safety class, and often that's done with a close family member who is already experienced in the area. Same with shooting in general. It's not a hobby most people just pick up out of the blue, often they're introduced to it by a close friend or family member, and it serves as a way for people to bond as much as it does for them to blow up things. It's not much different from learning to build things from your dad, should he be a carpenter or a metalworker, and the ratio of hunting accidents to the number of hunting licenses is significantly less than the ratio of automobile accidents to the number of driver's licenses, at least where I live (I haven't done the research on any other states, but I'd imagine the numbers are similar).

At shooting ranges safety is emphasized almost to the point of ridiculousness. To continue the comparison to driving a car, a police officer will often not even give you a warning if you're driving over the speed limit or a little bit recklessly. At a shooting range, or at least all of the ones I've been to, they go over all of the rules with you before you're even allowed to take your gun out of the case. If you do something accidental, like standing an inch beyond the 'safety line', you'll immediately be told to get back behind it, and it's not optional like the speed limit seems to be. If you don't do so immediately, or keep doing it, they will kick you off the range. If you even think about point a gun any direction but downrange you'll get reamed by everyone in the range, patrons and employees alike. You're often limited to the kind of ammunition you can use, the speed at which you can fire the weapon, and so on.

Hunting isn't very different. There are less people around to watch your every move, sure, but in general when you're hunting with people they'd rather not be shot, so if you screw up you'll be told, "Hey, you fucked up. Do it again and I'll toss your gun over a cliff." Or your gun will just be tossed off a cliff. The process to get your hunter's safety mostly makes up for it though, requiring a class be taken and that you demonstrate your familiarity with firearms before they give it out. Generally these classes either take a few days and involve a test at the end or involve an extensive take-home test going over everything you'll ever need to know about hunting and shooting guns, then an in-class period where you take another test and show that you actually know how to use a gun.

In short, what I'm getting at is that 99.9% of gun users both know exactly what they're doing and go to extensive lengths to be safe about doing it. There are always people who do stupid things, but that can be said of anything ever.

pwned123456

Feb 4, 2011
Fishyash said:
...oh dear.

Shame on the girl to, instead of attempting to maybe try and express this issue over facebook, actually try and talk it out face to face. I think the father should have given her another chance though to talk things out, and... using a gun? Although he didn't exactly do it out of blind rage or something, it's definately not my style... and seems like a waste of a perfectly good laptop and I guess it's misuse of the gun. If it were me, I would probably put it up on ebay, and tell her to buy a new one.

Also... it kinda bugs me that people complain about uncompensated house chores in general. I am only assuming stuff, because who knows, either the father or the daughter is exaggerating how few/many chores she has to do. However, chores always fit the need of the environment. Generally the more space there is to manage, the more chores are needed to be done. The place isn't going to manage itself, and if you have two working parents, you need to help make sure that everything is in order.

If you have to spend over an hour doing chores every day of the week, I would personally reward my son/daughter for it, but as I said, it depends on how much work needs to be done to keep the house under working order.

TL;DR Kids need to stop complaining about chores, and using a gun is unnecessary overkill.
well he can sell it as slightly used on ebay (sorry you are the first post with ebay actualy mentioned)

Andrew Drake

Mar 30, 2011
I am resisting facepalm jokes for the moment.

I call this one overkill, I mean kids complain all the time to their friends, kids curse. It just happens, but why go overkill and destroy the tools used to complain? If everyone did that there wouldn't be a teenager with a cell-phone, or vocal chords since if you take away electronic means to complain we will just do in in person.

Terrible judgement on his part, blah blah blah. We all know how this post is going to be don't we? Fortunately he is in the older generation, and that generation will die out eventually, just the way things work.

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
Ramzal said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kl1ujzRidmU

I have already posted about this. So I will just take what I posted and put it here:

What is wrong with you people? This man just put 9 rounds into a stationary object because he was angry. Let me repeat myself; This man just unloaded a -gun- into a computer because he was angry. He has every right to punish his daughter, but this shows complete and total lack of control and discipline over himself by using a firearm to teach a lesson.

He lost count in how many bullets fired at that, because of his anger! And people support this? A gun is not a toy, it's a tool. A last resort and used to protect, not destroy. I've seen comments on this saying "An all American dad!" Are you people crazy or just plan stupid? Comments like that is exactly why our country is looked down on as gun tooting/war hungry morons! His entire point goes out the window when he shows how childish (Retaliating to her internet post--it's an internet post for crying out loud) with the use of a gun.

And people say the young are stupid.
I once believed that a gun should be a right, however after seeing how he used his firearm and people's encouragement of his action, I now believe that having a gun should be treated as a privilege instead of a right. I am an American, and I DO NOT agree with this man's methods of use of a firearm, nor raising a child.

Edit: However, chores are fine. Go chores.
Actually, he didn't lose count, he didn't know the number of bullets he had in the gun.
And it isn't childish, it's HUMILIATING.

And this guy is 100% in the right. You need to quit whining about "gun control" because gun control isn't an issue in this video. He uses a .45 caliber pistol as a TOOL to dramatically destroy the laptop, which in turn is a method for punishing his daughter. He does not use the gun in an unsafe manner, nor does he fire it recklessly. He stands and fires in a very controlled manner.

I think that you are REALLY upset over his disciplinary choices, but chose instead to wrap up your largely unquantifiable feelings in a concrete issue. Your failure to have an actual point makes you look all the more foolish.

Just say "I feel that this man's actions in disciplining and punishing his daughter were too extreme, and that they are reprehensible" and be done with it.

jizzytissue

Feb 16, 2012
out of couriosity how do we know if the child was telling the truth or not she might of been the dad could be abusive for all we know... just saying

justnotcricket

Echappe, retire, sous sus PANIC!
Apr 24, 2008
I think using a gun to shoot the laptop was too much. Seriously, wouldn't it have been better to confiscate the thing rather than using a weapon to destroy it? End of the day, the girl doesn't have a laptop any more anyway.

Also, to all those claiming that he was in the right because the girl was a 'selfish, spoiled, *****...etc etc' how do you think she go that way, hmm? clearly the man's sterling parenting skills should have prevented her from growing up spoiled right? Right?

I'm not saying she shouldn't be punished. However, I think destroying the computer with a gun says more unfortunate things about that man's emotional stability than it does positive things about his ability to discipline his daughter and teach her how to treat other people.

If those are the kinds of methods he's always used to 'discipline' his daughter, clearly (by her behaviour) they haven't been very effective anyway. Perhaps he needs to start behaving like a mature, well-balanced individual himself instead of destroying things in order to 'teach someone a lesson'.

a ginger491

Apr 8, 2011
Ramzal said:
usmarine4160 said:
Actually it is a right in America and that's not going to be changed so you're wrong ;)

Though I agree it was wrong to use a .45 like I said in the other thread. A 12 gauge with buckshot would've been about 20% cooler
Rights should be either taken away or made more strict when abused by an individual. When someone boycotts someone's funeral, they should be sued for disturbing the peace and harassment, when someone unloads an entire clip into a computer for the sake of being angry they should lose their right to use a firearm due to displaying little to no discipline with the tool.

I'm not wrong since our rights have been violated anyway, as our right to a fair trial when under arrest has been revoked anyway. (Which I do no see any positive outcome from and I do not support.) A gun is not a plaything or a toy. I'm not sure if you a trolling or you are honestly that deluded.

Edit: Besides, the law states that American's have the right to bare arms. Not to discharge them under any circumstance.
I think you may be overreacting a bit here. He didn't appear to be angry, just disappointed. He fired his pistol in a controlled and safe manner. What he did may have been a little extreme but he did say he had punished her multiple times before and warned her each time. You gotta stick to your guns and follow through when you tell your kid what will happen when they disobey you again. I'll say it once more What he did was a little extreme, but kudos to him for following through. If he shot his kid in a fit of rage that would be a different story, but taking it out on the computer your ungrateful kid made you spend all day upgrading? I find that not worth your reaction.

mechanixis

Oct 16, 2009
Maybe he'd have a better relationship with his daughter if he didn't unload a firearm into an expensive piece of technology because she made him angry.

mechanixis

Oct 16, 2009
Don Savik said:
I like how emotional damage is ok nowadays. If he would've taken off his belt and whipped her he would've been the scourge of the internet, but instead, telling the internet that she is a stuck up ***** and humiliating her for everyone to see without her being able to defend herself OVER A MUTHA --CKING FACEBOOK POST is encouraged with much gusto.

This is a generational problem, of old idiot americans not being able to adapt to modern norms. What kind of kid is supposed to do those ridiculous chores? She isn't a goddam farmhand or a maid.

F this country.
Seconded. I don't know if there's a more elegant metaphor for conservative America's relationship with the modern age than a Southern father unloading a gun into a laptop. It's just desperate, reactionary, emotional defiance.

Being a parent may not be how he imagined it being, but shooting up a laptop over it is pointless and, honestly, kind of pathetic.

a ginger491

Apr 8, 2011
RedBird said:
That wasn't my main point, but, to adress that, It seems slightly worrying your dad had you killing animals from a young age. I don't want to turn this into a personal thing, But good parents don't give their kids guns, point them at a small woodland creature and say 'go nuts.'
That's an awfully biased and uneducated statement. If His dad teaches him how to hunt at a young age then I say great. Teaches one how to live off the land. I hate how so many people separate hunting and say, fishing, into two different camps. At the end of the day, your learning how to kill an animal for food, at least that's the reason why most of my friends hunt. So what makes the distinction between river fishing and deer hunting? A stupid man with a fishing line can hurt themselves almost as badly as a stupid man with a gun.

Mordwyl

Feb 5, 2009
a ginger491 said:
RedBird said:
That's an awfully biased and uneducated statement. If His dad teaches him how to hunt at a young age then I say great. Teaches one how to live off the land. I hate how so many people separate hunting and say, fishing, into two different camps. At the end of the day, your learning how to kill an animal for food, at least that's the reason why most of my friends hunt. So what makes the distinction between river fishing and deer hunting? A stupid man with a fishing line can hurt themselves almost as badly as a stupid man with a gun.
He may be referring to the those that hunt for sport, wasting a perfectly good animal for no reason than self-gratification.

On topic, the man's in the right. If you bothered to pay attention to the whole video this WAS the final straw.

JackTheBannana

Aug 18, 2011
He didn't hurt anyone nor scared anyone. case closed

People give too much attention to a guy using a weapon the wrong way,although i would agree that he could have donated it to charity or something.laptops aren't cheap

DO NOT take this as a Not giving a shit post,please its just my opinion.sorry for bad English