Daedalic Entertainment Announces Randal's Monday

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Daedalic Entertainment Announces Randal's Monday

Randal's Monday is a point-and-click comedy adventure that's all about the 80s, 90s and early 2000s.

Randal, by all reports, is a terrible person: A kleptomaniac, a sociopath and an awful friend. So awful, in fact, that he causes his friend to commit suicide on the eve of his wedding. That's enough to finally kick karma into gear, and Randal finds himself trapped in time, forced to relive that fateful Monday, over and over, until he's finally able to set things right.

That's the not-entirely-original concept behind Randal's Monday, a Groundhog Day-like point-and-click adventure that promises cynical humor and "geek culture references" from movies and television shows of the 80s, 90s and early 2000s. It will offer more than 40 locales and 50 characters spread across seven individual chapters, "jillions of references and homages to geek culture" and absolutely no zombies, except when there are zombies. (There will be zombies.)

Comedy is hard to do at the best of times and Daedalic's record has been a bit spotty: The Harvey's New Eyes [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/10666-Goodbye-Deponia-Review-Rufus-Cubed] was more weird that funny - very good, but deeply, almost disturbingly strange. Will pop culture cynicism succeed where violent slapstick and accidental mass murder did not? Hey, what am I, Carnac the Magnificent?

Randal's Monday is being developed for the PC by Nexus Game Studios and is expected out this fall. More info is up at randalsmonday.com [http://www.randalsmonday.com/].

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
It mentions Terry Pratchett and has a Monkey Island reference in the trailer. So far so good, although the other Daedalic adventure games I've played have been a mixed bag. Hopefully it turns out to be more than just geek references and has something fun underneath too.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
I will be honest here. The game look VERY generic for a comedy adventure game...
Come on, it would helped if the characters had a visual personality like many other games.
A strong example is the Runaway series. So many good characters!