Daily Mail Puts Two and Two Together, Gets Gay Spider-Man

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Abandon4093 said:
Magneto deboned him in the 616:verse and he just grew back his normal skeleton. Did he do that in the ultimate verse... only with different results?
Ultimate Wolverine's healing factor isn't as OP as regular Wolverine, he was deboned and after being hit by full blasts from Iron Man and Cyclops (redirected by Magneto) and he still managed to stab the man. Actually they ret-conned the nuke thing, to say at that time period a death god or something was intereferring and not letting him die. I'm serious, comics man. He's meant to be less OP now but nothings really changed.

thetruefallen said:
I'm not a big reader of comic books, but i know they rebooted the Green Lantern as a ethnic individual. I hear it was met with a generally dis-favorable reaction. Will people stop liking because one version of spider man because he is now Black/Hispanic? maybe, but i still think the reboot is a good idea.
John Stewart is actually relatively popular, but he never really replaced Hal Jordan and Green lantern is a title given to all of the Green Lantern Corps, much like being a cop. There was no reboot, he was just another dude, like again in this scenario Peter Parker died and this guy is taking up his mantle.

Doc Theta Sigma

Jan 5, 2009
There's a genuine comment on that article from someone that thinks this is pushing the gay agenda. From someone in the UK. The place where I was born. The Daily Mail doesn't report news. It tells stories.

Any other Brits that just feel ashamed to be a citizen sometimes?

Caligulust

Apr 3, 2010
Black and Hispanic... Alright.

If they want to place emphasis on his background, okay. If they can creatively work it into to the story without making a very large deal, even better. sexuality wouldn't be too hard. Ethnicity is a different story.

As a hero he becomes the mask and upholds its principles. Regardless of race or gay love, that's what he'll do.

Sarah Frazier

Dec 7, 2010
If it's really an Alternate Universe type of thing, it really doesn't matter. It's just one possible way things could be, and if people don't like it they can spend their money on the 'real' story. If I had the money to spare on comics, I'd actually want to follow the alternate story more closely to see if it can be done well, or if all respect Spiderman once had gets blown away by a Stereotype Sue.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Doc Theta Sigma said:
There's a genuine comment on that article from someone that thinks this is pushing the gay agenda. From someone in the UK. The place where I was born. The Daily Mail doesn't report news. It tells stories.

While it's probably not any comfort, that kind of attitude is not restricted just to the UK; people all over the work are that bigoted and ignorant.

Bob Hoss

Oct 26, 2009
Xzi said:
theflyingpeanut said:
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Why the fuck is Spiderman black now anyway? Yeah yeah, diversity and tolerance and all that bullshit. Im all for them, but making Spiderman black? Seems like a marketing ploy more than anything else. But hell, they know it, I know it and everyone else does to. Just a shame this will probably flop in a horrible way.

EDIT: Oh, and I almost forgot. Daily Mail is always good for a laugh, but not much else. This is a fine example indeed.
Well, Peter Parker died, and this kid took on the mantel. As for why he's black; well, why not? Why should he be white? Why should he be he? If he's well written, then will it really matter?
My thoughts exactly. If we're talking about an average big American city here, there are bound to be just as many, if not more black people around than white people. So if a radioactive spider were to bite somebody randomly in said city, chances are higher that it would be a black person.

So how exactly is this a "marketing ploy?" Marketing ploys refer to things meant to bring in a larger audience. And if anything, this would keep the audience the same size or even reduce it a little. Essentially I think they just wanted to explore a new character from a new angle, and there's nothing wrong with that.

While I agree it seems like an odd attempt to appeal to a changing world at first, I have hopes that it will be refreshing. I feel about new ultimates Spidey the way I did about the new(er) Blue Beetle, but I'd be so bold as to say that Jaime's run has been my favourite BB adventure yet! Of course, it was canceled, but...

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Kalezian said:
Why the fuck is Spiderman black now anyway? Yeah yeah, diversity and tolerance and all that bullshit. Im all for them, but making Spiderman black? Seems like a marketing ploy more than anything else. But hell, they know it, I know it and everyone else does to. Just a shame this will probably flop in a horrible way.

EDIT: Oh, and I almost forgot. Daily Mail is always good for a laugh, but not much else. This is a fine example indeed.

Same reason Green Lantern was Black for a while.

Its not really marketing, just another take on a story and character, like if Batman died or wasn't able to continue to Batman, someone else would take his place as the Batman.

Yes, Batman is indeed a verb.

OT:

somehow........ just somehow....... I can imagine another news site picking this up and interpreting it as "Mixed race = gay!"

Chances are it will be a right leaning news network.
Happened twice. Batman didn't die for the first one, but Terry McGinnis took his place as The Tomorrow Knight once Bruce got too old for it in Batman Beyond.

And Batman did die in a recent canonical story line. Death in the Family, I think it was called? Anyway, one of the former Robin's (Think it was Dick Grayson) took on the role of Batman while Batman's son Damien (Talia used his DNA to clone Damien...or something. Never was really clear on that.) became his Robin.

Doc Theta Sigma

Jan 5, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
Doc Theta Sigma said:

While it's probably not any comfort, that kind of attitude is not restricted just to the UK; people all over the work are that bigoted and ignorant.
I know. Just we don't really get exposed to it that often... Well. I don't anyway. I purposefully avoid the Daily Mail. However my grandfather reads it like it's gospel. Then again he does vote Conservative purely out of principle...

martin's a madman

Aug 20, 2008
Why do people who don't read comics give a damn?

I like comics, but I don't read or follow them enough to actually care about changes they make.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
the Daily Mail did not misinterpret.
they are incapable of doing that.
you have to interpret it first.
they hear 'gay' and go 'rage'

theres actually a comment that says he hates 'PC crap'
what the fuck?

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
No.

The Daily Hate-Mail doesn't deserve ANY "benefit of the doubt" anywhere.

They have a long-standing reputation for this kind of rubbish.

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
SageRuffin said:
Why the fuck is Spiderman black now anyway? Yeah yeah, diversity and tolerance and all that bullshit. Im all for them, but making Spiderman black?
Spidey 2099 is half-hispanic himself (if my research is accurate). I don't see that big a deal since he obviously won't be the Spidey everyone is familiar with.

Really, this part of your post is dripping with unfortunate implications...
Huh, I thought he was full hispanic.

Then again, my dad thought he was half irish as well.

Live4Lotus

Dec 5, 2009
Spider man isn't gay...he is just very shy. Batman however...he has been depicted as gay for a very long time.

FallenTraveler

Jun 11, 2010
Actually, now that someone has brought it up, make spiderman a gay character. I MUST see this happen.

I'm also happy with him being black, I would have loved if the new remake spidey would have been black too. It seems like a good fit. Yeah, killing Peter Parker really sucks, but still.

I can't believe that people wonder why he should be black? Does it really matter, it's skin tone, not fucking power changes.