Daily Mail Puts Two and Two Together, Gets Gay Spider-Man

TurboPanda

Apr 19, 2010
It's the daily mail. Their view on homosexuality can be summed in the 1993 headline "Abortion hope after 'gay genes' finding".

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
TurboPanda said:
It's the daily mail. Their view on homosexuality can be summed in the 1993 headline "Abortion hope after 'gay genes' finding".
Please tell me that wasn't a real headline or I might have to move out of the country.

RDubayoo

Sep 11, 2008
RatRace123 said:
Oh, it is so much worse than what you've heard. At this point they're basically going through and offing all the characters who survived Ultimatum. I guess Peter Parker's another notch in that belt.
Ah, good, I can't wait for when Iron Man gets killed and replaced with a Filipino transvestite, and the series is renamed "Iron Man...?"

Logan Westbrook said:
What I will say is that your post is dripping with privilege and prejudice.
Oh, stop. I read that guy's post and I didn't see anything of the sort. He supports the idea of diversity in comic books and provided good examples of how to achieve it. What he criticized was this pandering, attention-getting BS, and he was right to. And what do you do? You basically went and said, "You disagreed with me? Well UR RACIST!!!1!" Shame on you.

It's probably a moot point anyway because Marvel will probably kill the new Spider-Man off before very long. Anyone want to make any bets as to when that might happen? I give him a year.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
RDubayoo said:
Logan Westbrook said:
What I will say is that your post is dripping with privilege and prejudice.
Oh, stop. I read that guy's post and I didn't see anything of the sort. He supports the idea of diversity in comic books and provided good examples of how to achieve it. What he criticized was this pandering, attention-getting BS, and he was right to. And what do you do? You basically went and said, "You disagreed with me? Well UR RACIST!!!1!" Shame on you.
Actually, no, I didn't. In fact, that's something I made a point of not saying.

I don't know Therumancer well enough to start throwing around that kind of accusation, but I can hold him accountable for the things he actually says. Reading through his post, it seems very clear that he doesn't see why he should have to accept any change, or make any concessions or compromises in order to make the world more inclusive. His comments about "Black America" are also rather troubling. At best, they display a very simplistic understanding of the problems facing disadvantaged minority groups, and at worst they suggest that he thinks that the problems are their own fault.

In the interests of being entirely fair, I do think that his ideas about creating comic book scholarships is a good one. I'm not sure how it's supposed to encourage more diversity on comics without essentially being another form of affirmative action - which he doesn't seem especially keen on - but it's still a good idea.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
I don't know...I mean, yeah, yeah, I'm all up for diversity and equality (I'm Mexican, you see), but seriously? It's as if Superman turned black or Asian all of a sudden.

It's not a matter of racism or xenophobia or whatever you wanna call it. It's just that it's not how it goes! I know that heroes get replaced faster than we replace our bed sheets. That's not the point. What bothers me is that this kid came out of nowhere and replaced Spidey. I mean, who is this kid? Why him?
To me, it just seems as if someone wanted to create, no, scratch that, REPLACE an already existing hero with a loyal fanbase and get, let's say, a new guy that represents all that's good and fine in this new America *CoughObamamuch?cough* and bam! Done! It just seems lazy to me.
You wanna have a black superhero? Fine, have a thousand black/latino/asian/whatever superheroes, but don't try and change the already existing heroes that we're used to and we grew up with. Look at Static Shock; he was new and he was awesome.

*Sigh* I really wanna get into comics. I really do, being a video game nerd and half anime nerd, it just seems like the next logical step. But man, I HATE these sub-plots that are actually alternate realities that are part of a side plot that are not really part of the plot tha-- ARGH!

Just watch Marvel try and fix this one: This "alternate universe" will cease to exist because of some strange accident and this new Spidey will be forgotten and then Peter will realize it was all a bad dream and he has obtained a new powe--

Wait, how did this new guy get Pete's powers? o_O

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Man, I look forward to the day when cries of 'Oooh, he's GAY!' are met with almost universal responses of 'So what?'

RDubayoo

Sep 11, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
Could have fooled me. You may not have outright said racism but "privelege and prejudice" is pretty close.

I don't know Therumancer well enough to start throwing around that kind of accusation, but I can hold him accountable for the things he actually says. Reading through his post, it seems very clear that he doesn't see why he should have to accept any change, or make any concessions or compromises in order to make the world more inclusive. His comments about "Black America" are also rather troubling. At best, they display a very simplistic understanding of the problems facing disadvantaged minority groups, and at worst they suggest that he thinks that the problems are their own fault.
One problem I've heard about is that a minority student who's too successful will get picked on by the other students for "acting white." Now, if that's the case, then what am I to assume? That that's not the fault of cultural conditions attributed to said minority race, i.e., it's not their fault? Baloney. No white person told them to think that way. They did that on their own. So, those kinds of attitudes are something we need to criticize. Ignoring them because we're afraid someone will call us intolerant or racist only helps those problems fester.

Overcoming disparity between races shouldn't be done with artificial advantages of one group over another, but by giving minority groups the same fair shake as anyone else. And in addition, said minority groups also need to realize that they if they really want to move forward, they've got to stop living in the past and blaming their woes on whitey. I don't imagine you'd approve of a hard dose of reality like that, but, well, too freaking bad. It needs to be done.

I think that's part of what annoys people about the new Spiderman. It feels less like the new Spidey earned the role and more because some bean counter at Marvel said, "Gawrsh, we need more black, hispanic, and gay heroes," and wallah, just like that they dug up a character that meets all three criteria. It's fictional affirmative action, and that quite frankly is retarded. But again, it won't matter because the new Spidey's days are likely numbered.

FolkLikePanda

Apr 15, 2009
But why do we need a Black/Gay Spider-Man, to me it kind of wrecks the image of "Spider-Man" in my opinion. I mean I have nothing against as such but to me it kind of wrecks Spider-Man.

johnfistyadams

Sep 30, 2009
Dr. wonderful said:
I just want to point out how gut wrenching this cover is. I've been a fan of Spider-man all my life and it just kind of hits me that they killed him off. I don't care either way about Miles as the new Spider-man and a latino one has been done before. Personally, I feel that the character deserves better than to be killed off just so someone new can put on the suit. I read that Peter's death is supposed to inspire Miles, but I still think its bullshit.

(And I know that's its the Ultimate universe, so don't jump down my throat.)

TurboPanda

Apr 19, 2010
ReservoirAngel said:
TurboPanda said:
Please tell me that wasn't a real headline or I might have to move out of the country.
Yes it is
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daily_Mail (under famous stories about halfway down the page.)

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
TurboPanda said:
ReservoirAngel said:
TurboPanda said:
Yes it is
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daily_Mail (under famous stories about halfway down the page.)
Oh for the love of... I hate this place.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Why would it matter if he's gay? For that matter whys it matter if hes black?

doesn't anybody else care if the story even makes any sense? All I have been woundering is how they are going to explain this kid getting the powers without it being stupid

Seabear

May 22, 2011
Could it possibly be that Marvel wants to do something...Different with Spidey?

Rather than just making a Black/Hispanic Peter Parker, perhaps we can have a totally changed character, have a different perspective from the wisecracking superhero/nerdy kid to someone who isn't quite as confident, a nice sort of reboot, perhaps Marvel could actually use his race as a genuine point of plot, rather than just having a "black white guy" thing, where race is of no particular point than to make numbers up.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
RDubayoo said:
Logan Westbrook said:
Could have fooled me. You may not have outright said racism but "privelege and prejudice" is pretty close.
Actually no, it isn't, it's just that you don't appreciate the difference.

One problem I've heard about is that a minority student who's too successful will get picked on by the other students for "acting white." Now, if that's the case, then what am I to assume? That that's not the fault of cultural conditions attributed to said minority race, i.e., it's not their fault? Baloney. No white person told them to think that way. They did that on their own. So, those kinds of attitudes are something we need to criticize. Ignoring them because we're afraid someone will call us intolerant or racist only helps those problems fester.

Overcoming disparity between races shouldn't be done with artificial advantages of one group over another, but by giving minority groups the same fair shake as anyone else. And in addition, said minority groups also need to realize that they if they really want to move forward, they've got to stop living in the past and blaming their woes on whitey. I don't imagine you'd approve of a hard dose of reality like that, but, well, too freaking bad. It needs to be done.

I think that's part of what annoys people about the new Spiderman. It feels less like the new Spidey earned the role and more because some bean counter at Marvel said, "Gawrsh, we need more black, hispanic, and gay heroes," and wallah, just like that they dug up a character that meets all three criteria. It's fictional affirmative action, and that quite frankly is retarded. But again, it won't matter because the new Spidey's days are likely numbered.
This is about as perfect an illustration of privilege as I could have asked for. The problems of race and discrimination don't affect you, so you can't even see that they exist.

Char-Nobyl

May 8, 2009
I'm pretty sure this is the sort of anti-Spiderman journalism that J. Jonah Jameson looks at and says, "Seriously, guys? Seriously?"

I love the slippery slope, really, especially when it's applied by idiots. To them, letting a black person have any sort of privileged or status is the immediate and certain step before letting Hard Gay do the same thing.