Daily Star Gets Nailed for Made-Up GTA Story

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
I tried to see the story on their website. It's been replaced by this:

Wow, great journalistic integrity there, Daily Star. That's totally something I'd expect from a tabloid news site.

pparrish

Oct 2, 2008
Terramax said:
What pisses me off is that the Daily Star will probably get away with not even having to apologise for this story, let alone not being sued (which they should be).
It's astonishingly difficult for individuals to make UK tabloids retract stories, let alone get any damages out of them. Only celebrity-level people with enough money to force it through the courts on principle ever really get anywhere (as the Daily Mail has found out on multiple occasions.)

Of course, it's also very easy for powerful companies like BAE Systems to use the British justice system to slap silencing injunctions on newspapers who are planning to reveal well-researched wrongdoing. Funny that.

An added problem is that the body that people can complain to about stories like the Raoul Moat thing (the Press Complaints Commission) is entirely self-regulatory. The current chairman of the PCC is one Paul Dacre, editor of the Daily Mail. Essentially, that means you have zero chance of having a complaint upheld - unless you make one about Bolsheviks or something.

If you want to keep an eye on the sort of vile stories British tabloids run about various marginalised members of society, this blog keeps good tabs on it: http://tabloid-watch.blogspot.com/ It gets kinda depressing though.

Chechosaurus

Jul 20, 2008
soapyshooter said:
Daily Star = UK Version of Fox News?
No, that would be The Sun - A newspaper which, if I recall, had a cover story about how "Emo" was a dangerous new cult. That being said, the Daily Star, the Daily Express (Princess Diana Times), The Mirror and the Daily Sport are all trash mags under the guise of news.

Kiefer13

Wizzard
Jul 31, 2008
Chech said:
soapyshooter said:
No, that would be The Sun - A newspaper which, if I recall, had a cover story about how "Emo" was a dangerous new cult. That being said, the Daily Star, the Daily Express (Princess Diana Times), The Mirror and the Daily Sport are all trash mags under the guise of news.
Don't forget the Daily Fail.

soapyshooter

That Guy
Jan 19, 2010
Kiefer13 said:
Chech said:
soapyshooter said:
Don't forget the Daily Fail.
At least you guys have BBC, all our news is biased. The only thing that comes close to being near perfect news is NPR, National Public Radio.

Feb 13, 2008
Root's Guide to the English Papers
The Daily/Sunday Sport - No discernible stance(Male/All classes) : Tits - Every page : Headlines "ELVIS FOUND ON MOON".
The Sun: Politics - Hard Right(Male/Working Class): Tits - Page 3 : Headlines include Fascism, Celebrities, Anti Europe
The Daily Mail - Hard Right(Female (honestly)/Middle Class): Tits - None : Headlines include Racism, Homophobia, Scare Stories, Hating the BBC
The Daily Star - Hard Right(Male/Unemployed): Tits - most pages : Headlines include Scare Stories, Xenophobia
The Independent - Left(Middle Class): Tits - NEVER : Headlines - Grief/Anger/Sorrow/Green
The Times - Right(Upper Class): Tits - Occasionally: Headlines - Stiff Upper Lip, Doom but with proper grammar.
The Financial Times - As above but with more stockmarkets.
The Observer (Sundays Only) - Left(Middles Class): Tits - Occasionally: Headlines : It all depends who's running it at the time.
The Grundiaa - (Guardian - Known for its regular typos) - Left(Middle Class) - Tits: Occasionally - Snooty, self-serving but generally not that biased. Best of a bad bunch.
The Telegraph - Conservative (Middle/Upper) - Supports ENGLAND. God bless your shiny shores, and woe betide any Johnny Foreigners. Printed 4 obituaries before people were dead.
The Express - A local paper for local people. Nothing foreign here. Oh Diana, how we miss you.

All weekend supplements are full of celebrity tattle and are generally all as bad as each other.

Shru1kan

Dec 10, 2009
This is just disgusting. These types of 'news outlets' should be disbanded immediately, their publishers sued for thousands of counts of slander and libel...

One can dream though, right?

Stupid fucking bottom-feeders...

Gavmate92

Apr 13, 2010
I dont understand why they have to make up some story about a computer game company when theres so much more shit happening in the world i mean come on ... its pathetic ¬_¬

tlozoot

Feb 8, 2010
The Daily Star is the most filth-ridden, crap-infested shit-rag that Britain can offer - and we can offer loads. It saddens that these so called 'journalists' are paid money to trawl the most depraved pits of the internet to copy and paste rubbish under the pretences of 'news'.

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
Chech said:
soapyshooter said:
You're thinking of the Daily Mail.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-566481/Why-child-safe-sinister-cult-emo.html
But who honestly thought that this was a real game? What company in their right mind would go out of their way to be so offensive? You're only going to get bad press that way.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Root's Guide to the English Papers
The Daily/Sunday Sport - No discernible stance(Male/All classes) : Tits - Every page : Headlines "ELVIS FOUND ON MOON".
The Sun: Politics - Hard Right(Male/Working Class): Tits - Page 3 : Headlines include Fascism, Celebrities, Anti Europe
The Daily Mail - Hard Right(Female (honestly)/Middle Class): Tits - None : Headlines include Racism, Homophobia, Scare Stories, Hating the BBC
The Daily Star - Hard Right(Male/Unemployed): Tits - most pages : Headlines include Scare Stories, Xenophobia
The Independent - Left(Middle Class): Tits - NEVER : Headlines - Grief/Anger/Sorrow/Green
The Times - Right(Upper Class): Tits - Occasionally: Headlines - Stiff Upper Lip, Doom but with proper grammar.
The Financial Times - As above but with more stockmarkets.
The Observer (Sundays Only) - Left(Middles Class): Tits - Occasionally: Headlines : It all depends who's running it at the time.
The Grundiaa - (Guardian - Known for its regular typos) - Left(Upper Class) - Tits: Occasionally - Snooty, self-serving but generally not that biased. Best of a bad bunch.

All weekend supplements are full of celebrity tattle and are generally all as bad as each other.
What about the Telegraph? Can't say I disagree with any of them though.