Daisy Ridley May Star in Upcoming Tomb Raider Reboot

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Daisy Ridley May Star in Upcoming Tomb Raider Reboot

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1300/1300804.png
The rebooted Tomb Raider games are of course leading to a rebooted Tomb Raider movie - which could star Daisy Ridley.

Daisy Ridley, best known for her role as Rey in The Hollywood Reporter [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/star%20wars%20the%20force%20awakens?os=star+wars+the+force+awakens] that she is currently "in talks" to play Lara Croft in an upcoming reboot of Tomb Raider.

Ridley said that while there there "have been conversations" about her picking up where Angelina Jolie left off with Lara Croft, she hasn't yet been officially offered the role. "I'm waiting for someone to say 'I want you, let's do it'," she said, adding that there wasn't a script for the film yet.

Star Wars co-star John Boyega also told THR that Ridley would be perfect for the role. Boyega, who is an avid gamer himself, said "I played Tomb Raider the game [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/tomb%20raider?os=tomb+raider], it's a new take and I think the movies are going to be based on that version. But I texted Daisy [and] was like, 'this is you!' and 'you need to get on that because you could be Lara Croft.' She should be."

The planned Tomb Raider movie reboot is set for release in 2017, and will be directed by newcomer Roar Ulthaug. That's all we really know about it for now, but it does seem quite likely it will follow the "new" games, rather than pick up where Cradle of Life [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lara_Croft_Tomb_Raider:_The_Cradle_of_Life] left off in 2003.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter [https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/daisy-ridley-tomb-raider-talks-876986?utm_source=twitter]

Yoshilord

Mar 20, 2016
I think she could pull it off, but I doubt the movie will be very good. Video game movies just don't work in general.

distortedreality

May 2, 2011
I can see this happening.

If a new movie is made, they could do a lot worse than her, not sure if they could do much better.

Having said that, can't say I'd miss it if the movie never saw the light of day.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Steven Bogos said:
and will be directed by newcomer Roar Ulthaug.
I... what? Really? Wow, that name. You sure they aren't going to have him do Tomb Raider Underworld with a name like that?

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I wonder what kind of season pass they will be offering for this movie, or if it will be cut in to half a dozen mini movies that we will have to pay full price for.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Oh just give it to her. She put up with JJ. Just put her in booty shorts, make Idris Elba her bad guy. Call it done.

teamcharlie

Jan 22, 2013
As part of the target demographic for the original version of Lara Croft, I'd prefer they cast somebody a little more 'mature' for the role.

Nobody would dream of casting Jesse Eisenberg as Thor. Why are we trying to make tiny waifs into action heroines?

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
i can see her playing the role. she did really well in star wars in my view so i would say they should give her the roll.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Eh, makes sense. She raided wrecked starships on Jakku for a living, I figure raiding tombs is just one galaxy away.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Yoshilord said:
I think she could pull it off, but I doubt the movie will be very good. Video game movies just don't work in general.
2013's Tomb Raider was pretty much a movie already, just with shooty and platformy bits that got in the way. I'm pretty sure they could make Tomb Raider work as a movie if they tried.

The problem is, gaming movies generally don't try. The attitude seems to be "lol who cares? Gamers will buy any piece of crap we slap a video game's name on!"

But gaming movies are only as untenable as superhero movies. What gaming movies needs is a Fox or Sony to make them popular (and later destroy them) or a Marvel Studios to handle the properties with some sort of concern for the source material. Will we ever see that? Hell if I know, though signs don't look particularly good.
teamcharlie said:
Nobody would dream of casting Jesse Eisenberg as Thor.
Nah. He should be Hulk instead. Not Bruce Banner. Hulk.

Hawki said:
Eh, makes sense. She raided wrecked starships on Jakku for a living, I figure raiding tombs is just one galaxy away.
And a long time.

The Purple Grape

Jun 5, 2015
So will the script be mostly grunts, panting and screams? Will I have to mash F? Or just admit it and make an exploitation film.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
teamcharlie said:
As part of the target demographic for the original version of Lara Croft, I'd prefer they cast somebody a little more 'mature' for the role.
Well since they're probably basing the film off the new Lara Croft, Ridley is arguably a good fit. She'd be a poor fit for Old!Lara, not so much for New!Lara.

teamcharlie said:
Nobody would dream of casting Jesse Eisenberg as Thor. Why are we trying to make tiny waifs into action heroines?
Funny you should say that; apparently Tom Hiddleston originally auditioned for Thor. Roll that image around in your head for a minute.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Eh, there's only so many marketable young female action stars for this sort of thing. I daresay Jennifer Lawrence's name will came up sooner or later.

Fulbert

Jan 15, 2009
Huh. For a moment I thought they were rebooting the game again. Was like, "What, already? Much sooner than usual this time."

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
teamcharlie said:

Doesn't that make you exactly the kind of person they don't really care about marketing to? Current-Lara is current, ergo it'd be a bit silly for them to cast someone more 'mature'. At the moment '96's Lara is a - ahem... - dinosaur, a relic. Nu-Lara's where it's at.

As for Ridley? I think she'd be decent, but for the sake of her career I hope she holds off to see an actual script first. Also to google whoever the hell's directing it... Roar-something? Huh, apparently his most recent film, The Wave, could be pretty decent, and it sounds like he's already got some experience with 'people surviving horrible situations', so he should be fine for the A Survivor Is Born part of nu-Lara's arc.

I find it hard to believe a Tomb Raider film can ever have a good script, though. Hell, have any of the games ever had particularly good narratives and dialogue? I've been a fan since the original, and I actually loved the reboot, but Lara and the gameplay are pretty much the only draws; no other characters have ever really been stand-outs (Natla? Amanda? er, that kid on a skateboard with uzis?!), so that makes any adaptation to the bigscreen a tricky thing. And then when you can't approximate TR's gameplay in a film, well, then you're struggling to find recognisable elements of an IP to adapt, which means you're on very shaky ground to start with.

I hope it works out, as I really like the current version of Lara. But I've still not seen a good film based on a game (Mortal Kombat's fun as a b-movie, but that's all), and I'm not convinced it's at all possible.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
Part of me is saddened by this news, just because I think Ms. Ridley is a fine actor who probably deserves better than to live off of franchises like Vin Diesel; but then I think of how short a shelf life female actors tend to have, and maybe it's not my business to give her career advice. Maybe her best bet is to make a ton of profitable movies here and now to live off her investments when she gets "too old" for big blockbuster roles.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
JimB said:
Part of me is saddened by this news, just because I think Ms. Ridley is a fine actor who probably deserves better than to live off of franchises like Vin Diesel; but then I think of how short a shelf life female actors tend to have, and maybe it's not my business to give her career advice. Maybe her best bet is to make a ton of profitable movies here and now to live off her investments when she gets "too old" for big blockbuster roles.
Or she could end up the next Dame Helen Mirren, none of us know the future. That said, I also think it would be wise for her to just bank as many big paydays as possible while everyone's throwing them at her feet. As long as she remembers Sir Christopher Lee's maxim, she'll be okay.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Wait, they want to release it in 2017 but don't have a script yet?

Even if them mean at the very end of 2017, isn't that a very short production time?

Einspanner

Mar 6, 2016
Zhukov said:
Wait, they want to release it in 2017 but don't have a script yet?

Even if them mean at the very end of 2017, isn't that a very short production time?
Unheard of for a major studio movie, pretty much.