Dalek Mysteriously Appears in UK School

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Dalek Mysteriously Appears in UK School

One of Doctor Who's most notorious villains has been found inside of a UK school, with no explanation or rightful owner in sight.

What happens to a Dalek once defeated by Doctor Who? Well, apparently it can either just rot in place, or accidentally re-materialize in an educational center to the surprise of everyone around. The latter might seem the most unlikely, but it's actually the only one proven to have happened outside of a television screen.

A Dalek was recently found in the West Exe Learning Centre in Exeter, UK, with absolutely no explanation of how it got there, or why. While the pre-school aged children from the center were initially excited about their strange find, faculty are itching to know who it belongs to.

Nobody has stepped up to claim ownership of the Dalek, which is only more mysterious because of how well made it is. Standing five feet tall and big enough to sit in, the Dalek isn't a piece of junk despite some exterior damage. "He's a little bit damaged here and there, but he's still got to be worth hundreds," Sue Wiley of the Learning Centre said. The discovery is not unlike when a Dalek head was found in a pond [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/89903-Dalek-Head-Discovered-In-U-K-Pond].

If someone got their hands on the official Dalek blueprints [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103610-Build-Your-Own-Dalek-With-Official-Doctor-Who-Blueprints] and built one of their own, it'd be odd to set it free like this. Exeter police have had no reports of a stolen or missing Dalek, so they're baffled as well. In the interim, a film and television memorabilia store owner stepped up to claim the Dalek for display in his store so that the school can make room in its cupboard again for things that aren't a Dalek.

I can see how a free, life-sized Dalek might have seemed appealing to the store owner, but once the rest of it teleports into its shell and goes on an extermination spree he's unlikely to be a happy camper. At least it can be killed with a couple of earplugs and a Wii Remote [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103270-Doctor-Whos-Sonic-Screwdriver-Tranformed-Into-Wii-Remote] when it does end up coming to life someday.

Source: Blastr [http://www.thisisdevon.co.uk/news/School-hasn-t-got-time-space-lost-Dalek/article-2676110-detail/article.html]

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
I get the feeling we should start keeping an eye out for an oddly placed blue phone booth to show up somewhere in the UK. Also considering the mysterious circumstances this thing was found under I highly suggest locking it the hell up somewhere under 24hr surveillance with a nuke aimed at it.

Ya know, just to be safe.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
This sounds like Improv Everywhere: London are going to be making an appearance...

madcap2112

Jun 4, 2009
This is why I always bring my sonic screwdriver to school with me. They all laughed at me before, well who's laughing now?!

0p3rati0n

Apr 14, 2009
crazy kids these days...

Also I never watch the show except for like 2-3 episodes. But can someone tell me why the hell does it have a toilet plunger for an arm type thing? That's a question I haven't figured out yet.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Obviously these people have no respect for the gravity of this situation.

Don't make the same mistake people.
<div id=submenu> <color=white>Correct Procedure for Dalek Attack
1. Call Emergency Number 020 8433 1244 from any phone

2. Fill in form DS-159/G-1, which is available from your local Post Office. This form will ask you the following Questions:

- Date and time of Sighting
- Whether you have previously reported sightings that were discovered to be false alarms (tick the appropriate box for '1-5, '5-10','More than 10')
- Number and types of Dalek(s) sighted
- Names of witnesses who can corroborate (note, it is obviously helpful if these people are still alive after the Dalek Event)
- Brief description of the circumstance and what happened
- Your next of kin
(Note, the section headed 'Is the Witness still Living' is for office use only, and you should not attempt to fill in this section of the form.)

No attempt should be made to approach the Dalek, or attempt to communicate with it as this is likely to result in your Extermination. If in doubt inform your nearest Police officer or U.N.I.T representative.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
0p3rati0n said:
crazy kids these days...

Also I never watch the show except for like 2-3 episodes. But can someone tell me why the hell does it have a toilet plunger for an arm type thing? That's a question I haven't figured out yet.
It sucks faces with it. And presses buttons. And does all kinds of crazy shit with it.

Nimzar

Nov 30, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
Exeter police have had no reports of a stolen or missing Dalek, so they're baffled as well.
Wouldn't they have been MORE baffled after receiving a call about a missing Dalek?

Caller: "Hello, yes I'd like to report that I'm missing a Dalek, I'm afraid that it has been stolen."
Dispatcher: "I'm sorry, sir? A missing what?"
C: "A Dalek. Space alien featured in Doctor Who. Evil omnicidal lunatics."
D: "Sir, you really shouldn't attempt to waist the time of the police force."
Dispatcher Hangs Up.

MikailCaboose

Jun 16, 2009
Oh shit! Is the Dalek invasion beginning!?
Well, they won't exterminate me! *hides under bed, as if that will do any good*

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
theSovietConnection said:
So that's where I left him. :p

Seriously, a free Dalek? I'd be all over that.
Strange... I thought I left my Dalek in a pond in the UK... but maybe it was a pre-school... ah well.

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
Umm, yeah! That's totally mine! Sorry, I just forgot where I put it. I'll take it back now. *shifty eyes*

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
KeyMaster45 said:
I get the feeling we should start keeping an eye out for an oddly placed blue phone booth to show up somewhere in the UK. Also considering the mysterious circumstances this thing was found under I highly suggest locking it the hell up somewhere under 24hr surveillance with a nuke aimed at it.

Ya know, just to be safe.
Would the Nuke breach its shields? If not then our only viable defense would be a flight of stairs assuming the Dalek wasn't upgraded.

0p3rati0n said:
crazy kids these days...

DR Who used to have the most hilariously low budget in the history of television so the protagonists arch nemesis were garbage cans with plungers stuck on them. Tradition has proven strong with the design of the Dalek.