Dan Aykroyd Thinks Female Ghostbusters Are "Magnificent"

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Dan Aykroyd Thinks Female Ghostbusters Are "Magnificent"

Original Ghostbusters co-writer Dan Aykroyd is completely thrilled with the upcoming reboot's all-female cast.

Perhaps the biggest movie news item this week <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139617-All-Female-Ghostbusters-Cast-Has-Been-Chosen>is the reveal of the new, all-female Ghostbusters cast: Kristen Wiig, Melissa McCarthy, Leslie Jones, and Kate McKinnon. Of course, since the original Ghostbusters was a beloved film in many childhoods, it's prompted an intense online debate over whether this particular cast, or any all-female cast, would make it work. Perhaps one of the more interesting responses comes from none other than an original Ghostbuster: Co-writer, co-creator, and actor Dan Aykroyd has fully endorsed and supports both the project and its cast.

"The Aykroyd family is delighted by this inheritance of the Ghostbusters torch by these most magnificent women in comedy," Aykroyd said in a statement, referencing his family history of paranormal ghost-hunting. "My great grandfather, Dr. Sam Aykroyd, the original Ghostbuster, was a man who empowered women in his day, and this is a beautiful development in the legacy of our family business."

Aykroyd isn't the only classic Ghostbusters star to endorse the film. Back in October, Bill Murray himself expressed support for the project, <a href=<a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137342-Bill-Murray-Suggests-Melissa-McCarthy-for-All-Female-Ghostbusters-Cast>and made casting suggestions of his own. "I would go to that movie, and they'd probably have better outfits, too," he said.

Aykroyd had originally hoped to make a third Ghostbusters film with the original cast, but those plans seemingly fell through <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132450-Ghostbusters-Writer-Actor-Harold-Ramis-Dead>after Harold Ramis' tragic death. According to Paul Feig, the Ghostbusters reboot has an expected release date of July 22, 2016.

Source: Flicksided

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
I wish they did a 3rd movie with the remaining casts and have a "In memory of" for Harold. After all they could have introduced some new members and expanded it to a larger operation, including the all female group that has been announced. But I guess it's easier to just reboot and throw away potential for a much easier "same movie but...".

Aug 1, 2010
That's cool, but lets also remember that Dan Akyroyd also thinks ghosts, magic and UFOs are real as well.

He's a great comedian, but he's a pretty weird guy.

Grumman

Sep 11, 2008
Yeah, I'd be less apprehensive if this was about the Ghostbuster's Beta Team after the original team took their business nationwide, or something like that. I have no intention of watching it as-is.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
MC1980 said:
Hoping that the crux of the advertising isn't the fact that the ghostbusters are women, but that there is a new movie in the series after a 27 year hiatus is too much it seems. Guess it's just an excuse Hollywood found to have Feig make more movies, as if he needed the brand in the first place. Bleh.
the problem is that it *shouldn't* matter...it *shouldn't* be a big deal that they all happen to be women but for both good/bad reasons it is

OT: I actually saw a leaked version of the script where the woman are all sitting around drinking coffee and discussing how much they hate videogames....I think its gonna be great

also the fact that it might be a reboot as opposed to a sequel is a plus IMO....throw off the baggage of the old

EDIT: and is it REALLY the worst thing ever?

wait wait no...hear me out! hear me out!

I just want you to ask yourself one very important question

[b/]was it inevitable?[/b]

was there a good chance it was going to happen anyway? Hollywood has been on this trend for a good while now, be honest here...the answer is probably yes

so in that vein would a ghost busters with modern male comedians have been any better? would it have had a reason to exist?

no of coarse not

because Christ if youre going to remake something why re-hash whats already been done? the Karate Kid with jacki chan and Jason smith could actually justify its existence

and so can this and yes purley via the fact its an all woman cast, doesn't mean its going to be good but its a reason to exist at this point

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Aaaaand ofcourse the big deal is not that we get another ghostbuster movie... the big deal is about it being all female... wich means the entire bloody movie will focus around the fact that the team is female, and not so much about ghostbusting shenanigans.

For whom exactly are they making this movie anyways?

Last time i checked the crowd that really REALLY liked the original ghostbuster movies where mostly male.

If this movie will tank? Dunno.. could be... its not a michael bay movie so pretty explosions and US military wankery wont carry it... and i doubt jokes about fat woman, dum woman and relationship issues will draw the attention of old ghostbuster fans.

And the ghostbusting plot, the pseudo science talk and action might not really draw in the big female audience they are hoping to get.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Karadalis said:
why is it

male =for everyone

female = for feeemales

or did you think women didn't watch sci fi or action movies?

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Vault101 said:
the problem is that it *shouldn't* matter...it *shouldn't* be a big deal that they all happen to be women but for both good/bad reasons it is
That's why I hope that the Ghostbusters logo where the circle has been transformed into the Female symbol is just something that The Escapist slapped together in photoshop so they could have a thumbnail for stories regarding this movie and not the official logo for the movie. Why? Because if you're going to reboot a nostalgic franchise purely as a money-grab (which, in my opinion, that's all this is: a money grab with an "edgy" hook) then I'd think the emphasis should be on the fact that you're making a new Ghostbusters movie instead of placing the emphasis on the fact that it's going to be an all female Ghostbusters movie. Because then you're not being progressive about the decision, you're boasting about it, and at that point you've reduced the entire cast to token characters.

EDIT: and is it REALLY the worst thing ever?
I'd certainly argue that it is. :p

was there a good chance it was going to happen anyway? Hollywood has been on this trend for a good while now, be honest here...the answer is probably yes
That certainly doesn't make it a good thing, nor does it justify its existence. :p

because Christ if youre going to remake something why re-hash whats already been done? the Karate Kid with jacki chan and Jason smith could actually justify its existence

and so can this and yes purley via the fact its an all woman cast, doesn't mean its going to be good but its a reason to exist at this point
Or they could, you know, leave nostalgic franchises in the past and memories of those people who experienced them first-hand when they were original instead of taking the most moronically easy money-grubbing way out by just yanking something from the 80's, tossing it into a blender, and the filming whatever crap comes out.

Just so I'm perfectly clear, I don't dislike the very concept of this movie because it's an all female cast, I dislike the very concept of this movie purely because it exists. I'd argue the world doesn't need a new Ghostbusters movie, all female cast or not.

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
I'm not against the movie like I am sure 90% of everyone else is.

But on the other hand.

Aykroyd thought Blues Brothers 2 was a "magnificent" idea so this isn't really saying much.

DoctorM

Nov 30, 2010
Sir Thomas Sean Connery said:
That's cool, but lets also remember that Dan Akyroyd also thinks ghosts, magic and UFOs are real as well.

I was going to say the exact same thing. The studio mandated de-boot has been the worst piece of movie news I've heard in a long time.

I'm okay with a female team, but the original cast should show up, and make it a true sequel.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Vault101 said:
Karadalis said:
why is it

male =for everyone

female = for feeemales

or did you think women didn't watch sci fi or action movies?
It's a scientific fact that women only watch films about killing all men, and housework.

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
I hope they don't Robocop-it, or worse, Star Trek 2-it. You're halfway through, they're holding a ghost prisoner, then suddenly and dramatically the ghost says "I'm VIGOOOOO", like the characters should have any clue who that was.

But hey, It's Hollywood. They're bound to Robocop-it

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Eh. I'm willing to give it a chance? But I don't exactly have high hopes here.

I didn't enjoy Bridesmaids, at all, and neither did the few other people (two of whom were female) that I watched it with. Maybe a single chuckle? Nothing even remotely approaching laughter.

Not at all a fan of McCarthy either and...don't really find any of the rest of the casting recipients to be all that funny...so...meh?

I still have the original movies and definitely prefer the writing in GB 1 (yeeeees, I even enjoyed GB 2 for the most part) one whole hell of a lot more than Feig's offerings. The original is an enduring classic for a damned good reason, after all.

Evil Smurf said:

It's weird, or wrong to want female representation in media? What backwards hole did you crawl out of?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
MC1980 said:
Also why would they diss games, when Ghostbusters had a videogame that was for all intended purposes Ghostbusters 3? Almost sounds like they are just pissing on games because of a stereotype.

that was a jooooooaaaaake
Evil Smurf said:
[]It's a scientific fact that women only watch films about killing all men.
like Thelma and louise?....classic

Aug 1, 2010
Evil Smurf said:

It's weird, or wrong to want female representation in media? What backwards hole did you crawl out of?
Jeeze Smurf, where did that come from? My only point was that Dan Akyroyd isn't exactly the best source for wise, sage opinion on popular culture.

My problems with the reboot stem from the movie seeming like a poster idea before a movie idea and how unfunny I find McCarthy and Jones.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Evil Smurf said:

Jeeze Smurf, where did that come from? My only point was that Dan Akyroyd isn't exactly the best source for wise, sage opinion on popular culture.

My problems with the reboot stem from the movie seeming like a poster idea before a movie idea and how unfunny I find McCarthy and Jones.
Sorry man, I've just had enough internet for the day, I've seen far too many bigots to be a happy man.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Vault101 said:
If the only thing they can say about the movie is that "look its women" then its obviuos they dont really have anything else to say about the movie, which to me implies that the movie isnt going to be good.

Its not going to be bad because it was women. its going to be bad because they made a bad movie, regardless of what sexes the main cast had.