Dan Aykroyd Thinks Female Ghostbusters Are "Magnificent"

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
"Dan Aykroyd Heaps Praise On Female Ghostbusters And Proclaims His Progressive And Empowering Ancestry So Internet Does Not Leap Down His Throat."

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Has everyone forgotten that they (the original Ghostbusters) consider the Ghostbusters game to be the unofficial third movie?

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Sir Thomas Sean Connery said:
That's cool, but lets also remember that Dan Akyroyd also thinks ghosts, magic and UFOs are real as well.

He's a great comedian, but he's a pretty weird guy.
Indeed. He's one of the cookiest crackpots out there, with a mic to the public. That's irrelevent to the subject of female ghostbusters honestly, but still he is a nutball.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
That's nice, Dan. But neither your's nor Bill Murray's blessing is going to make me feel anymore hopeful that this movie isn't going to turn out as a shallow cash-grab.

Fanghawk said:
Aykroyd said in a statement, referencing his family history of paranormal ghost-hunting.
So that's why he turned into such a weirdo.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
That's nice, Dan. But neither your's nor Bill Murray's blessing is going to make me feel anymore hopeful that this movie isn't going to turn out as a shallow cash-grab.

Fanghawk said:
Aykroyd said in a statement, referencing his family history of paranormal ghost-hunting.
"Turned?" Sir you seem to not know the first thing about Aykroyd if you think he hasn't always been a bit funny in the head. He absolutely is, has and probably always will be a bit kooky.

OT: I have a feeling this is going to turn out bad, and is going to do more damage than good in the long run. I'm not trying to be contentious despite my vocal dislike for McCarthy's brand of humor. I just feel that its not going to be a symbol of awesome, but a poorly thought out cash in. No matter what "scripts" look like, what happens in post is what makes or breaks a movie and I don't put it past the studio to try and hit all the right (read: wrong) notes sacrificing anything organic to the script.
I don't have much hope mainly because right out of the gate they're banking on 3 things:

1. Past success of Bridesmaids which says to me this movie is already doomed to not live up to that hype by way of EVERY HOLLYWOOD HYPE EVER.

2. Hyping an all-female cast. It shouldn't be a focused selling point.

3. Relying on a franchise hype by way of 80s nostalgia and rebooting a comedy classic. This can't end well.

Again, to allay fears and so people don't read into this beyond what info is already here: I don't mind an all female cast. I care about merit more than anything and not being a McCarthy fan and in fact in perma-boycott of her work due to some things she's said in the past. The rest of the cast beyond Wiig I'm not that familiar with so I can't tell if they have the chops to do this, and I wasn't all that inclined towards Bridesmaids. Didn't hate it, didn't like it just found it "meh". Probably not for me.

So really? I don't see this working out. That's just my view. Like it, hate it, I really don't care.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Nods Respectfully Towards You said:
Tojumaru said:
Karadalis said:
Aaaaand ofcourse the big deal is not that we get another ghostbuster movie... the big deal is about it being all female... wich means the entire bloody movie will focus around the fact that the team is female, and not so much about ghostbusting shenanigans.

For whom exactly are they making this movie anyways?

Last time i checked the crowd that really REALLY liked the original ghostbuster movies where mostly male.

If this movie will tank? Dunno.. could be... its not a michael bay movie so pretty explosions and US military wankery wont carry it... and i doubt jokes about fat woman, dum woman and relationship issues will draw the attention of old ghostbuster fans.

And the ghostbusting plot, the pseudo science talk and action might not really draw in the big female audience they are hoping to get.
You managed to come off as misoginistic without calling for a report. That's like that one guy that hated the hated Schindler's List for being about the suffering of the European Jews without stating he's a straight Nazi. Bravo.
I see Godwin's Law is at full force here. You managed to come off as tumblr without calling for a report. That's like that one guy that hated Saving Private Ryan for being about the suffering of the white cis male without stating he's a straight 'die cis scum' SJW. Bravo.
Chill, veering vastly off topic here into mudslinging guys/girls/gender non-specific lifeforms.

rorychief

Mar 1, 2013
I'm glad they're making a new movie. If it sucks its as easy as considering it separate non canon to the original movies. If its great then its great. Hopefully they'll handle the all female cast thing well. It would be lame to make the fact that they're women the whole plot, like by having the new team struggle to escape the shadow of their male predecessors and prove once and for all that girls can ghostbust too. Big heartwarming speech while covered in goo, crowd cheers with close up of inspired young girl, nod of respect from old man Murray and old man Akroyd, irrational tantrum from unconvincable bigot character locked in the past. Crowd panics as new monster appears 'A woman's work is never done, amiright ladies?' Cut to credits

Many people might praise that approach as meta or genius. Personally I'd find it boring, if only because after five minutes the entirety of the plot would become obvious, and events would be locked on a fixed course to validating young women, rather than something that could potentially surprise with its turns. I'm sure that won't happen, but given how big a deal is being made of the cast choice I could see how the writers would be tempted to incorporate it.

The Choke

Nov 5, 2014
Evil Smurf said:
It's a scientific fact that women only watch films about killing all men, and housework.
And that's why only radfems watched Sucker Punch.

(of course I know you were kidding, I just couldn't resist.)

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Dan would support any kind of riff on Ghostbusters. He's a good sport, and likes money. He'd be saying the same thing about an "All Whatever" remake.

Look, I don't care about the female gimmick. Yes, it's a gimmick. You take a long-standing franchise and suddenly swap the gender of its characters (don't care if they're "original characters", it's still four leads with a 3-to-1 white/black ratio), that's a gimmick. It's not New Ghostbusters, it's Female Ghostbusters. And that's OK.

I just don't like Feig's brand of humor, or McCarthy for that matter.

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
Vault101 said:
MC1980 said:
Also why would they diss games, when Ghostbusters had a videogame that was for all intended purposes Ghostbusters 3? Almost sounds like they are just pissing on games because of a stereotype.

that was a jooooooaaaaake
Poe's law I'm afraid.

Anyway...once again I'm worried for this film on the basis that one of its biggest focal points appears to be "from the director and some of the actresses who gave you Bridesmaids". As I understand it that film is along the lines of The Hangover, a brand of humour that firstly I don't find funny and secondly seems extremely at odds with what Ghostbusters was.

It'd be like someone saying they were remaking Monty Python and the Holy Grail with the cast of Rocky Horror. Just...completely different types of film that are unlikely to blend well (although at least in that case I'm highly entertained by both).

If the new film is just wall to wall vulgarness in the guise of humour its going to be massively disappointing. -_-

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Johnny Novgorod said:
Dan would support any kind of riff on Ghostbusters. He's a good sport, and likes money. He'd be saying the same thing about an "All Whatever" remake.

Look, I don't care about the female gimmick. Yes, it's a gimmick. You take a long-standing franchise and suddenly swap the gender of its characters (don't care if they're "original characters", it's still four leads with a 3-to-1 white/black ratio), that's a gimmick. It's not New Ghostbusters, it's Female Ghostbusters. And that's OK.

I just don't like Feig's brand of humor, or McCarthy for that matter.
Hooray for common sense!!

Anyway, I don't have that big of an issue with McCarthy, but I thought 'Bridesmaids' was one of the most overrated movies I had ever seen. Everyone hyped it up as being this piece of comedy gold, but I think I maybe chuckled once during the entire movie.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
Casual Shinji said:

Fanghawk said:
"Turned?" Sir you seem to not know the first thing about Aykroyd if you think he hasn't always been a bit funny in the head. He absolutely is, has and probably always will be a bit kooky.
Well, obviously. It's the reason the first Ghostbusters took its subject matter as serious as it did.

It always makes me look at the end credits scene of She's Having a Baby, where Aykroyd is giving baby name suggestions, with a raised eyebrow.

Something tells me he's more serious than the movie tries to play it off as.

Buckets

May 1, 2014
As long as the remaining originals have a cameo , don't really care if they are male or female.
If the story is good and the characters strong it should be a great film.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
Well, obviously. It's the reason the first Ghostbusters took its subject matter as serious as it did.

It always makes me look at the end credits scene of She's Having a Baby, where Aykroyd is giving baby name suggestions, with a raised eyebrow.

Something tells me he's more serious than the movie tries to play it off as.
Yeah, but its ok. Without the quirks he wouldn't be a great comedian. But yeah there was a much darker tone to the original script cause of Dan and thankfully Harold was there to make it less creepy.

Pete Oddly

Nov 19, 2009
Wouldn't it be awesome if this movie was an expectation blaster of Guardians of the Galaxy proportions? All the cynicism surrounding it for one reason or another is certainly vexing. Sure, something can be said for adjusting your expectations when going into a reboot/remake/adaptation, especially since for every Rise of the Planet of the Apes there are three RoboCops, but the preemptive panning of this movie in particular is a bit ridiculous.

Personally, I look forward to it. I have faith in the cast and the director, and if the thing turns out to be a flop? Meh, no skin off my back. I'll just get my kicks tearing the movie to shreds with some friends over a cup of coffee.

Jake Martinez

Apr 2, 2010
Honestly, I can't believe anyone is sincere anymore and this thread is a great example of it. I feel like we are in some sort of modern day era of McCarthyism where if you even dare to say something that can slightly be misconstrued by anyone, it absolutely will be and you'll find yourself on the end of a witch hunt by the new moral majority.

Plenty of examples here on the escapist, including in just this thread of people acting all self righteously indignant and slandering users with accusations of bigotry and misogyny just because they think this movies premise is gimicky as all fuck and stupid.

Megalodon

May 14, 2010
Pete Oddly said:
Wouldn't it be awesome if this movie was an expectation blaster of Guardians of the Galaxy proportions?
How did that film break expectations? While I have yet to see it, the impression I got pre-release tended to be 'this is a bit unusual, but Marvel haven't made a misstep yet', which became 'Marvel have done it again, the film's pretty damn good'. That kinda sounds like Guardians met fan's expectations quite well.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Would be neat if Aykroyd, Murray, Hudson and a few other original cast members got Stan Lee-style cameos in the new movie.

Murray could say something snarky. It'd be great.