Dance with Dragons Question (SPOILERS)

The Sorrow

Jan 27, 2008
If you're here, I'm assuming you read the book. For those who don't know what I'm talking about but watch the TV series Game of Thrones, leave.

Gone? Good.

I have a boatload of issues with the latest book, but the one that sticks out to me the most (besides Aegon "PLOT DEVICE" Targaryen) was the fact that Melisandre was made a POV character.

For the first three books, everything about her was a mystery. Who she was, what she was, what she was planning. She seemed equally content with helping Stannis murder his brother and letting his fleet burn on the Blackwater. She was one of the most intriguing characters in the series.

Then suddenly we get a chapter that says who she is, what she is, and what she's planning. Just out of the blue. All intrigue shot in the foot.

Was anyone else ticked off by this?

Fingerprint

Elite Member
Oct 30, 2008
In all honesty I hadn't thought about it until now, I just went with it and for me, at least, it didn't take anything away from the series. I would assume it was done to develop her character more in the forthcoming novels. I must admit it did surprise me when she first became a POV charater, though I found it worked well - although she lost a lot of her mystery, I wouldn't say all, however - it gave her more depth and introduced yet another take and another twist to an already epic story.