Danish Movie Pirate Rats Himself Out

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Danish Movie Pirate Rats Himself Out

A Danish citizen who wants to force changes to the country's copyright laws is trying to turn himself in to the police for committing over 100 acts of copyright violation after a national anti-piracy group showed a distinct lack of interest in the matter.

Lots of people talk the talk but not many of them are willing to walk the walk like Henrik Anderson, a man who believes so strongly that Denmark's copyright laws are a big fat mess that he's willing to put himself in harm's way to to do something about it. He decided that the only way to bring about change was to drag the matter before the courts and demonstrate how ludicrous the situation has become and the only fair way to do it, he reasoned, was to do it himself.

Like many countries, Denmark allows people to legally make single copies of copyrighted materials for non-commercial uses; but, also like many countries, it forbids the circumvention of any DRM that may happen to be in place on those same copyrighted materials. The laws are obviously contradictory; the legal right to make backups of movies or videogames is trumped by the legal right of content producers to keep you from doing so. So around the end of October, Anderson cracked the DRM on over 100 DVDs he had legally purchased, made copies and then squealed on himself to the Danish anti-piracy group Antipiratgruppen [http://www.antipirat.dk/].

This is where it gets interesting. Anderson requested that the organization let him know whether or not he'd be prosecuted by December 1 but as of yesterday, he hadn't heard a thing. The group did, however, issue a statement to the Danish press calling it a "political matter" and saying it had reported the incident to the Association of Danish Video Distributors; the chairman of that group, in turn, indicated that it would hold a meeting to decide whether to report the issue to the police.

Anderson said it's possible that Antipiratgruppen doesn't consider his actions illegal under Danish law, a not-unreasonable position except for the fact that he's already received a letter from the Ministry of Culture telling him it is against the law. "Who should I follow?" he asked. "Those that determine the laws in this country? Or those who are lawyers for the companies that I'm committing a crime against?"

Since nobody in the anti-piracy community seems interested in pursuing the matter, Anderson has decided to go the extra mile and rat himself out to the fuzz in the hope that if he can drag himself to trial, he can demonstrate the gross inadequacies of the law and catalyze a change. "I decided to try to see if I can report myself directly to the police, for the case must be resolved," he said. But first, he has to figure out how to get himself arrested.

Source: TorrentFreak [http://torrentfreak.com/anti-piracy-group-refuses-bait-drm-breaker-goes-to-the-police-091201/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Torrentfreak+%28Torrentfreak%29]

microhive

Mar 27, 2009
Awesome. If he wins and abolishes the law my country's law will change accordingly since we're pretty much copying whatever the Danish are doing.

zauxz

Mar 8, 2009
"But first, he has to figure out how to get himself arrested."

Ok I knew he was an idiot, but come on!

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
As stated in the article, it's not anti-piracy he is trying to fight, but the illegality of breaking the copy protection on a legally purchased copy to make otherwise legal safety copies.

Getting a trial won't work unless he gets them to pursue him though, as enforcement (a fine) of this rule requires that the violated private party file a complaint. He wouldn't win the trial anyway, as the law is clear on DRM, and the courts only overturns or interpret away a law due to violations of the constitution and/or human rights, none of which is at stake here.

He does however prove just how unenforceable that article (75c) really is - you have to rat yourself out, and then attempt to get punished.

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
This man is an idiot.

If he was a tiny bit more intelligent, he'd try getting a law passed in a country where the economy actually runs on piracy, i. e, where it will do some good.

ShadowStar42

Sep 26, 2008
He's putting his money where his mouth is. It drives me nuts when people break the law (download illegally, smoke pot, whatever) complain about the law being unjust and act like their committing some kind of noble civil disobedience. Civil disobedience doesn't only require that you break the law, it requires that you make that crime known to the authorities and risk punishment. Certainly not as noble as Martin Luther King et all but I've got a lot of respect for this guy.

Quadtrix

Dec 17, 2008
Just kill a few people. That should get a person arrested. Not that hard to figure out.

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
This guy may be an idiot, but he's an idiot with an impressive set.

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
something like this stirs a bit of danish pride in me, just the thought of a direct challenge the system, might just rattle up some actual change to an issue that will continue to grow in importance in the future.

despite the fact that the anti piracy group in denmark has faced nothing but defeat in their cases. the news even stated that they had almost given up fighting piracy in denmark. in fact this case barely surfaced in the danish media.

i am by no means an advocate for anti piracy, i believe that the laws should be changed, and should be made clear to consumers. least of all who's laws are actually being broken. neither do i completely agree with his opinions but i do agree with his intention on "stirring up the hornets nest", lazy hornets that is.

all i can say is i admire this guy's guts. for sejren henrik!

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
Samurai Goomba said:
This man is an idiot.

If he was a tiny bit more intelligent, he'd try getting a law passed in a country where the economy actually runs on piracy, i. e, where it will do some good.
this isnt so much about legalizing piracy as it is starting a debate about a subject that has gone stale in denmark, and perhaps getting a concrete law made, since the regulations that are in place now contradict themselves. besides i checked the guys website and he is one of the few pirates wants to pay the creators of the media he is using.

ReverseEngineered

Raving Lunatic
Apr 30, 2008
Laws contradict all the time and it's up to the courts to settle the matter. Of course, it will never be settled until somebody is tried. I can see where this guy is coming from.

I must give him credit. It's every citizen's responsibility ensure the laws that govern them are acceptable, but few of us even take the time to learn them, let alone try to change them.

Putting himself in harm's way like this may just be madness, but it might take a madman for things to change.

If we all had this man's ambition, the world wouldn't be run by industry lobbyists. They only win because the rest of us stay silent.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Do any countries have a concrete law yet? It seems to me that no one can get thier heads around the technology to do anything about it.

And I still think we should refer to "piracy/pirates" as "leeching/leeches" from now on. At least then it won't sound so glorifying.

Carlston

Apr 8, 2008
So let him buy a cage and lock himself in it for 10 years to...

Just cause i used to tape movies and shows on a VHS i'm not gonna beg someone to arrest me.

Show it on HBO it's fair game.

Nincompoop

May 24, 2009
Danish are fucking weird people... However, I am impressed by his courage and determination.
- Du har sku' nosser Henrik.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
It's amusing how most of you seem to have missed the point with the speed and determination of a true champ...

His idea is to make a point: The current Danish law regarding the matter is a garbled mess.

Best way to make that point? Take himself to court, present his case in a setting where he -HAS- to be heard. It's funny, people used to do this sort of thing all the time... Back when people had balls.

I salute the guy.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
GamingAwesome1 said:
Tihs man is brave.

The line between brave and stupid is a blurry one though.
In this case a VERY blurry one at that lol