Dante's Inferno DLC Adds a Level Editor

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Dante's Inferno DLC Adds a Level Editor

If you think you can design a better Dante's Inferno [http://www.amazon.com/Dantes-Inferno-Divine-Playstation-3/dp/B001NX6GBK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1279312350&sr=1-1] level than your neighbor Phil, now's your chance to prove it.

To celebrate the release of Dante's Inferno in Europe (before the North American release? that's not supposed to happen!), Electronic Arts has officially announced the game's DLC, which comes with a big surprise. The usual new areas and new enemies will be included, but developer Visceral Games is also including a level editor that will let the best creators duke it out for the top spots on leaderboards.

The first announced DLC pack is called Dark Forest, scheduled for release in March, which is a prequel that tells the story of Dante's journey home and includes new enemies, puzzles, and relics. This is the pack that, while sounding good enough, is standard fare as far as DLC goes. However, the pack scheduled for April, called Trials of St. Lucia is anything but.

Trials of St. Lucia is dubbed a "full expansion" that will include not only a level editor, but a multiplayer co-op mode and a new playable character (presumably for that multiplayer co-op mode I just mentioned). The level editor will allow players to create trials with waves of enemies, from both the original game and DLC, that can then be uploaded for everyone to play and vote on. The top levels will be ranked on multiple leaderboards.

I've never seen a level editor in a God of War-style game before, so Visceral Games could be making a world first here. Though Dante's Inferno was obviously inspired by God of War (c'mon Visceral, it had to be), these new features actually serve to differentiate it from not only God of War but all other action games as well. A level editor is a feature that probably won't be included in any other action game in the near future, so it not only looks fun but is a very cool idea.

Dante's Inferno is out now in Europe, but it'll be hitting North America on February 9.

JRCB

Jan 11, 2009
Oh... oh my....

How many levels do you think will only be made up of giant penis monsters and the like?

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
Wait for it folks, I forsee an entire level made out of breasts.
__

Some how, I think this will either end well, or very poorly. But Dante Inferno owners might get lucky, and get an interesting Arena esk level.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Yeah, this has pretty much done it.

I shall be buying this game... now!

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Prepare for a bunch of penis shaped spawn points, with tiny babies flying out at you.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
It's already out.
Once second

*sends brother sms*

Now I´ll just have to wait a week to get it.And then i´m all good.

GodofDisaster

Premium member
Sep 10, 2009
Cool, another reason for me to get this game. Although as people have said before me, "I will be expecting penis and other extreme demon nudity levels."

delet

Nov 2, 2008
Oh man... if only it was a better subject matter and an original gameplay scheme...

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
Will the new playable character be Virgil? (Not from Devil May Cry the one who helps Dante survive the trials of Hell) i hope like hell it is.

khaimera

Perfect Strangers
Jun 23, 2009
JRCB said:
Oh... oh my....

How many levels do you think will only be made up of giant penis monsters and the like?
Hey you took my level idea. I want a penis shaped dungeon with penis shaped monsters and my weapon will be a giant, erect, delicious

machine gun.

OT: Didn't the new lego indy do a level editor for an action game first?

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
SnootyEnglishman said:
Will the new playable character be Virgil? (Not from Devil May Cry the one who helps Dante survive the trials of Hell) i hope like hell it is.
IE the real Virgil!

That's the beauty part of this game, a lot of people can get a better (not full) understanding of all the references in games.

MetaKnight19

Jul 8, 2009
I'm still debating on whether or not to buy this. The thing is, the level editor DLC most likely won't make this a 'must buy' game for me, since I'm usually terrible at making custom levels. But I downloaded the demo at it was cool, so the chances are that I will get around to buying it.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Well there's another thing that developers gave to their fans as a reward for loyalty eaten up by the greedy DLC monster... and people are eagerly going to pay for it with their own (or rather, their parents' money).

Man I hate EA

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
Stabby Joe said:
SnootyEnglishman said:
IE the real Virgil!

That's the beauty part of this game, a lot of people can get a better (not full) understanding of all the references in games.
To get a potential full understanding read the book..

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
I was already going to get Dante's Inferno after playing the demo, but... wow. Now I need to have this game in my life. Now.

calelogan

Jun 15, 2008
This has certainly tipped the odds in favor of Dante's. I thought of buying the PS3 version after playing the Demo, but I knew the game was well executed, even if derivative and similar to God of War.

But now...now...Visceral has my acknowledgment that they are actually being original.

I'll take that.

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
... if it offers acceptable options.. Omg that's the coolest thing ever I might just buy dante's inferno JUST becuase I can create custom maps.