Dante's Inferno

sizzle949

May 4, 2009
Still enjoyed Dante, even if it was a rip off (blatantly). Can't wait to get a good look at Fun Space Game: The Game though!

Ninjamedic

Dec 8, 2009
In regards to your game, it better have a star fox style control system.
....sorry I'm still depressed over star fox adventures....

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
I liked devil may cry better than god of war. :p

The smoother controls and more polished combat system made it more fun for me.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Extra Punctuation: Dante's Inferno

Along with an update on Fun Space Game: The Game!

Read Full Article
So is an entertaining omage to one of the most popular games of its genre a bad thing?

I'm just curious. Since I think the biggest question with DI would be whether or not you had fun. The entire Renaissance was various artists copying one anothers work, while the end goal might have been different, the actions weren't.

What we got from that was many different views of the same same masterpieces. While I wouldn't call GOW a masterpiece it is interesting to see a different environmental take on it (though with a bit of exaggeration you can say its the same environment).

Suskie

Nov 9, 2009
theultimateend said:
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Extra Punctuation: Dante's Inferno

Along with an update on Fun Space Game: The Game!

Read Full Article
So is an entertaining omage to one of the most popular games of its genre a bad thing?

I'm just curious. Since I think the biggest question with DI would be whether or not you had fun. The entire Renaissance was various artists copying one anothers work, while the end goal might have been different, the actions weren't.

What we got from that was many different views of the same same masterpieces. While I wouldn't call GOW a masterpiece it is interesting to see a different environmental take on it (though with a bit of exaggeration you can say its the same environment).
I vaguely remember him saying something in his review along the lines of, "The other difference between this and God of War, other than not being good..." Ripping something off isn't a problem if you rip it off well, and he doesn't seem to believe Dante's Inferno did that. I'd be inclined to agree.

Kazokuhouou

Sep 18, 2009
Yeah, and you saw how well that worked for Orpheus.

Ten seconds, Orphy. If you had waited only ten seconds.

Fuloqwam

Jul 29, 2009
I really hope the Yahtzee's "Fun Space" inspires more space-flight games to be made, hopefully by studios. I really miss the starship dogfights that were in "X-wing versus TIE fighter", "Colony Wars", and even "Tachyon".

I know it's a tall order to ask one guy with a full-time job to resurrect a dead genre, but if he fails, my children will cry.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Ah, Yahtzee is defending his view on Dante's Inferno! We all know what that means!

I don't have to defend my view on Dante's Inferno, because Yahtzee does it for me.

Feels good to share his opinions sometimes.

Cod of War

Jan 13, 2010
Mr. Crosshaw please make your game into a Freelancer/Freespace clone! Please Please!!!
We need space combat sims badly and I can help you write a plot that is guaranteed to be almost as good as those of Bioware games like KOTOR and Mass Effect

CyricZ

Sep 19, 2009
The plot of the game: avoid the evil rock aliens. O_O

And the big twist? YOU'RE A ROCK, TOO!

Latinidiot

Feb 19, 2009
Hubilub said:
Ah, Yahtzee is defending his view on Dante's Inferno! We all know what that means!

I don't have to defend my view on Dante's Inferno, because Yahtzee does it for me.

a bit depressing at other times, I wonder?

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Latinidiot said:
Hubilub said:

Well, you don't exactly brag about sharing the opinion of a guy who people call "a professional troll".

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
It could be like the asteroid in Star Wars where there's a giant worm in it... so as you pass by rocks sometimes a worm lunges at you and you gotta dodge. Wewt. Btw I like the "glue space debris to the player's face" good call.

If you pull up, does you ship then move "down" (as in keeps it's linear motion) and therefore start to decelerate? Assuming you didn't hit forward after pulling up...

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
Is fun space game: the game going to properly model relativity in terms of handling time dilation and composition of velocities?

ribonuge

Dec 7, 2009
Is a game a blatant rip off if it had the same level designer, especially when level design is so tremendously prioritised in the hack n'slash genre? God of War and Dante's Inferno have the same lead level designer Michael Cheng, which explains most (if not all) the similarities. Regardless it is still a copy but it is substantiated more with that knowledge.

As for Fun Space Game, I love the title. It is going to be fun, in space and a game. Hurray for functional titles!

Aug 25, 2009
Plot: You are a smuggler having to get something (guns, drugs, MacGuffinsTM) from one planet to another. Along the way you encounter friendly smugglers, unfriendly police forces, and a whole manner of weird space imps.

There. Done. It's simple and captures what space games should be about.

Latinidiot

Feb 19, 2009
Hubilub said:
Latinidiot said:
Hubilub said:

Well, you don't exactly brag about sharing the opinion of a guy who people call "a professional troll".
you'd be surprised....