Dark Horse Responds to Questions About Star Wars Moving To Marvel

MarlaDesat

Aug 22, 2013
Dark Horse Responds to Questions About Star Wars Moving To Marvel

Dark Horse has commented on the transition to Marvel and the future responsibilities of Star Wars editor Randy Stradley.

On January 3, Disney's Lucasfilm and Marvel Entertainment Comics Alliance [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131015-Star-Wars-Comics-Leaving-Dark-Horse-for-Marvel-in-2015].

When asked about the publishing rights to its back catalog, Dark Horse states, "All rights go to Marvel." Dark Horse Digital [https://digital.darkhorse.com/] purchases made before 2015 will remain accessible, but Dark Horse will stop producing print copies of its series. Marvel has declined early comment, so whether any of the Dark Horse series will see reprints or new collections is unknown. As for ongoing stories started at Dark Horse, the publisher will use its final year with the licence to conclude some series, but "only those stories initiated by Dark Horse." On whether Marvel might continue any existing stories, Dark Horse could only say, "We have no idea."

Dark Horse has confirmed that V.P. of Publishing and Star Wars editor Randy Stradley will remain with the publisher after 2014. His new responsibilities at Dark Horse will be announced soon. Stradley has commented on Facebook [https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=653589634705766&id=120655541332514 ] about his expectations for the Marvel transition. "With a new film scheduled every year, and a new television series, it is likely that there will be a lot of comics pages devoted to adaptations and direct spin-off stories in support of the films and TV shows," writes Stradley. "That's not where my interests lie, and it has never been Dark Horse's strong suit."

Marvel was the first to publish Star Wars comic books, starting with Star Wars #1 in 1977. Dark Horse Comics took over Star Wars comic books license in 1991, and has published comics in the Star Wars universe for more than 20 years. Disney acquired 2015 release [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120408-Disney-Acquires-Lucasfilm].

Source: Comics Alliance [http://comicsalliance.com/dark-horse-star-wars-marvel-transition-2015-questions-backlist-randy-stradley/]

bigmitch256

Sep 26, 2013
I'm very interested to see how this goes. I love how Dark Horse has handled the franchise and I'm curious if Marvel will feel like they have a reputation to uphold.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I have mixed feelings about this. Dark Horse did a fantastic job with the comics. They do with most movie license comics they do. They extended it out and have already done so much of the EU and everything... and quite frankly Marvel has declined in one very important way and it's kind of wrecking comics. They have become so expensive. They stick to the 16-page model and the prices keep going up. Dark Horse would do 24-page books and the prices weren't as high. It's a shame really because they are pricing out fans like me. In the hayday of my collecting, I bough every single marvel book each month. We are talking around the year 2000. It would cost 4 times as much now and I may be wrong, but I think they are outpacing all the competition so far as pricing is concerned. Meh, we'll see what happens. I got off subject, hope it turns out well.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
"That's not where my interests lie, and it has never been Dark Horse's strong suit."
In other words he doesn't like where he thinks they will take the comics? I agree wholeheartedly. Direct adaptations and spin-offs sound way less interesting than original content.

HBaskerville

Jun 22, 2010
Disney is all about protecting the brand. Case in point: look at how pedestrian Agents of Shield is. They take no risks and that show is a snore.

I expect nothing edgy from the new owners of these books. I think its a safe bet that Stradley is correct: look forward to nothing but movie adaptations with characters drawn to look exactly like their movie counterparts. Yawn.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
As for ongoing stories started at Dark Horse, the publisher will use its final year with the licence to conclude some series, but "only those stories initiated by Dark Horse." On whether Marvel might continue any existing stories, Dark Horse could only say, "We have no idea."
I have this image in my mind of the DH writers conspiring to kill off every character they originated, and taking as many canon characters and their descendants with them as they can.

(I'm fairly sure it wouldn't actually come to that for a slew of reasons, but I still find the idea kind of amusing.)

Jun 20, 2013
Soviet Heavy said:
Looks like I've got a lot of Omnibuses to pick up before they go kaput.
That seems to be the smartest move right now. I smell something evil stewing in all this tie-in crap, that Disney is allegedly planning. It's as though millions of voices cried out in terror and were suddenly ...

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
I approve of any and all efforts to blow up the post-movie EU (of which Rogue Squadron and a certain Chiss are unfortunate casualties). So Dark Horse losing the license doesn't bode ill for me. It remains to be seen if EA is planning ANYTHING for the Old Republic and Late Republic stuff though.

DeimosMasque

I'm just a Smeg Head
Jun 30, 2010
Baresark said:
and quite frankly Marvel has declined in one very important way and it's kind of wrecking comics. They have become so expensive. They stick to the 16-page model and the prices keep going up. Dark Horse would do 24-page books and the prices weren't as high.
I'm not sure where you get the "16 page" thing from. I grabbed six Marvel comics today (Wolverine 15, Black Widow 1, AN X-Factor 1, AN Marvel Now .1, Revolutionary War 1, A+X 16) and all of them were 24 pages at least, not counting ads.