Dark Is Bringing Stealth Action To Tabletop RPGs

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
Dark Is Bringing Stealth Action To Tabletop RPGs

Designer Will Hindmarch is making a tabletop game that emphasizes the kind of stories told in games like Thief. This is his vision in his own words.

Read Full Article

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Just to be 100% absolutely clear: This has no connection at all to the TELL ME MORE ABOUT VAMPIRES Dark game that released last year?

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
Falterfire said:
Just to be 100% absolutely clear: This has no connection at all to the TELL ME MORE ABOUT VAMPIRES Dark game that released last year?
Oh, god, no.

C117

Aug 14, 2009
While all of this sounds awesome, I have to point out one thing concerning the whole "personalities in numbers" thing for NPCs. Peoples personalities cannot be forced into some arbitrary number system, the better thing to do would be to give a short description of the characters personality and his/her views on certain things.

Because putting numbers on different aspects of a characters personality didn't work in Viking (an old swedish RPG), it didn't work in Eon (another swedish RPG by the same company that made Viking (guess they really liked the idea)), and time haven't changed that.

NortherWolf

Jun 26, 2008
I must echo the facebook comment: One roll is hardly worth a entire rule system. There's a reason why niche works on PC gaming rather than tabletops.
How much fun is it to have six people all stealthing away in different directions? It just seems to be the same, pardon my language, bullshit hipster indie shit that's been spewn onto the market. But unlike some of the purely one-mechanic games out there this seems...To just cater to solo-campaigns.

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
I guess I never thought we needed a whole new game for mechanics that have existed in most tabletop games for quite some time. I dig the idea of a city-based thieves guild campaign, and I'm sure there's lots of great atmosphere for that and all, but I've got a whole shelf full of rules behind me that I could do that with in lots of different ways.

I'm really not a fan of the one trick pony RPG systems that feel the need to make an entire game around a single mechanic. Those seem to do best in video games or board games.

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
Interesting and very extensive. It looks like the kickstarter was a great success and I guess I'll take a closer look once there are some results.

I think for short campaigns a specialized system is normally better than very extensive systems that can be very hard to pick up and keep track of. Of course nearly all systems have mechanics for stealth but those are just one system of many and so I hope his project will make for some good stealth gameplay.