Dark Knight Director Doesn't Like 3D

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Dark Knight Director Doesn't Like 3D

3D Movies? Christoper Nolan, the director behind Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, isn't a fan.

At a Q&A session at the LA Times' Hero Complex Film Festival, director Christopher Nolan talked about 3D movies, and why he isn't really keen on them.

"[O]ne of the reasons why I'm a little reluctant about 3D at the moment [is] because I find it, as a viewer, impossible to forget that I'm watching a film. I think until they can find a way around that, it's going to be problematic."

Nolan also said there were technical details to consider and that 3D glasses, not to mention shooting in 3D, reduces the quality of the movie. "The truth of it is, when you watch a film here [in 2D], you'll looking at a 16 foot-lamberts [a unit used to measure screen brightness]. When you watch it through any of the conventional 3D processes, you're looking at three foot-lamberts. It's a massive difference. Having struggled for years to get theaters to get up to the proper brightness, we're now seeing polarized film going back to worse than we were. There are a lot of problems with it."

"One of the things that people don't talk about is shooting in 3D requires shooting on video. If you mask it to 2.40 [aspect ratio], you're only getting 800-900 lines of resolution. You have to use a beam splitter [a device that splits an image so that it can be displayed in 3D]. There are enormous compromises in other words," he added.

Despite his reservations, Nolan did consider adding 3D to his upcoming film Inception by converting the film after it was shot. He ultimately decided against it however, saying: "We didn't have time to do it to the standard I would have been happy with. Post conversion technology I think probably for me would definitely be the future, but really it's going to be up to audiences to decide how they watch their films."

Source: Sci Fi Wire [http://scifiwire.com/2010/06/why-christopher-nolan-bel.php]

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
Uh oh Logan you may have to fix something.

OT: Thank goodness! 3d strains my eyes heavily, and I find it a waste to have to pay twice over for a film.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
Good, i'm glad someone in the movie industry doesn't like it. This whole 3D fad at the moment is annoying.

Apr 28, 2008
Finally someone in the industry who doesn't like 3D

I hate it. It hurts my eyes, makes me sick, and gives me headaches. Plus I can't even see the 3D, so paying extra for something that will only hurt me is the dumbest thing I could ever do.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
THANK GOD!!

I know, in many years time everyone is going to look back at this era and it's 3D fad and say "what were they thinking?"

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
You want 3D go watch a show on Broadway. This whole 3D thing is just another marketing stunt to make people pay for something extra for no real reason. As stated before me, it gives you headaches and your eyes hurt and all kind of shit you don't want a movie to do to you. I;m glad Nolan feels the way he feels about 3D.

Can someone explain me what is the point of watching movies in 3D? Does it somehow change the plot, acting or anything really important?

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
3D works well when there's a movie designed with 3D in mind and is used to showcase beautiful environments or add to the action (Avatar is a good example. The 3D basically compliments the beautifully designed environments and the action).

"Shovelware" 3D where the 3D is added after the movie is finished just so there's a "reason" for moviegoers to pay the extra $$ is what I absolutely despise. If you want to make a good 3D movie then base your film around 3D.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I can't say I disagree. I am also not a 3D fan mainly beacause people like myself with lazy eye can't use it...

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
Oh, thank Christ.

Each time he issues any sort of release or interview, he always rewards my faith in his no-nonsense, grounded approach to movie making.

I for one fucking hate 3D.

The glasses are a pain, make the screen rather difficult to see as they darken the image, and being someone who works in a cinema, are a huge pain in the arse to collect/ distribute to Johnny Public, the everyman asshole.

Mr.Nolan, I think you're absolutely right to stay the hell away from the shoddy gimmick that is 3D.
It's not cinema, it's a cheap money spinning fad.

Perhaps you should consider Imax.... lol. Worked great for the bank heist in The Dark Knight, after all.

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
Thank god, I hope he manages to convince his fellows in the industry of his opinion. I despise this stupid 3D trend.

ddq5

I wonder what the character limi
Jun 18, 2009
I love Christopher Nolan. I will watch all this man's movies and have all his children. 3D is a gimmick. A headache-inducing, non-immersive gimmick. I especially agree about not being able to forget you're watching a film, which if 3D were a giant mutant bent on world destruction, would be its laser targeted nuke launcher.

May 5, 2010
Finally. Nice to know I'm not the only one. I mean, Avatar was alright, but considering the fad it started, I'd rather it didn't exist.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Jaredin said:
I can't say I disagree. I am also not a 3D fan mainly beacause people like myself with lazy eye can't use it...
I get lazy eye when drinking, my right eye goes mental and twitches all over the place, great fun in a nightclub but I had difficulties with Avatar.

I couldn't understand anything.

Caradinist

Nov 19, 2009
Wasn't this 3D craze big back in 1998? Or is it just because i went to Universal Studios in Florida in that year?

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
@ Deofuta: Yeah, I think a few bits of code might be missing. But it's near the beginning of the summer, so everyone might be on a tight schedule.

That said, I'm glad someone isn't regarding 3D as the next 'discovery of electricity.' I personally went to go see Avatar in 3D, and while it didn't *diminish* the experience, it wasn't as if it was so much better. In other words, the cost doesn't seem to excuse all the trouble you have to go through. As for Inception, I'm certainly intrigued by the movie itself- here's hoping it will be a nice summer surprise as opposed to just overrated, as some people sadly think it will be.