Dark Knight Fanboys: "Joker Should Be Retired"

Darkwolf9

Aug 19, 2008
Hell no he shouldn't be retired. In fact he should be in the next movie too. I thought Ledger did a great job. He made the character real. Does that mean nobody could match or emulate him? No it doesn't. I'm a huge Joker fan and I don't want some actor who overdosed ruin the future of the character. Maybe that's not a fair statement. I look at it this way. He did a great job and the fact that someone would have to start by emulating him to keep the thing going would be more of an honor to him than retiring the character.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Is this some kind of joke?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

But seriously, how about an effort to get Hollywood to stop ripping off everything under the sun - including itself - in 90% of the shit it churns out? That's something I could get behind.

spuddyt

Nov 22, 2008
In any direct sequels to TDK I wouldn't want a different actor to play joker, because even if he was fantastic, it would still seem jarring to me, but banning it entirely just seems nutty

Windu23

Aug 6, 2008
I've always found the animated Joker with Mark Hamill as the voice is the best Joker ever. The live action interpretations will never approach the quality of the BTAS Joker. Even still, I don't think they should "retire" the character. I don't think they'll be able to use him again in this movie line, but never again? That's going too far.

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
Trying to start a flame war? I don't care either way, Mark Hamil would not make a good "live action" Joker for sure, what with him being old and all.

gains

Jan 8, 2008
I'm sure there were people who wanted the role retired after Nicholson's joker. But that was another age, before the internet could allow crackpots with lunatic ideas to find one another and rally under the banner of online petitions.

CaptainCrunch

Imp-imation Department
Jul 21, 2008
I get a bad rep for my dislike of the Nolan "Batman" franchise, and here's my reason:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqhYWS1cLGM

Grayson, a fan project that was only a trailer made on an exceedingly low budget has a more convincing reimagining of Joker than Dark Knight. It not only maintains the classic look of our favorite purple-suited villain, but incorporates the same potential for darkness and anarchistic evil that Ledger's version brought to the table.

Retire the Joker? Never. Especially if it means we get to see something like Grayson in a theater near you.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
CaptainCrunch said:
I get a bad rep for my dislike of the Nolan "Batman" franchise, and here's my reason:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqhYWS1cLGM
That is one awesome video. I'd see that movie, even with the budget it had displayed in the trailer.

Anyway, I wouldn't mind them retiring The Joker from the rest of the Nolan movies, but there will be another reimagining, and there should be another Joker.

I dunno, my favorite is still the Mark Hammil version from the Animated Series, he's awesome.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
This is stupid.

If another actor is going to play B.A. Baracus in the new A-Team film, then somebody else can play the Joker in another Batman film.

Heath Ledger's Joker wasn't even anything very special anyway, just some rambling hobo with crappy face paint. Christopher Nolan could easily have another Joker in his next film.

Also what is the point of this petition? Is it a legally binding document? Would it take a majority of the population of Earth to sign it for it to have any power?

What will happen if they do make a another Batman film with another Joker? Will the producers be taken to Fanboy Court, or just flamed on the Internet?

Ultimateslayer

Sep 21, 2008
Since I don't remember the other ones as much as Ledger's Joker i'll go for him.
But Hamills Joker gets sympathiepoints cause I love Hamill and he did the Joker for I really long time.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Well I think this is a little silly. What if there is another actor who could play the Joker twice as well? This seems like a waste of time.

PirateKing

Nov 19, 2008
Of course Joker shouldn't be retired. I don't think he should appear in any more of the Nolan films, but they can't just remove that character.

barryween

Apr 17, 2008
I LOVE Heath as Joker, but these are giant nerddouches. To say because Joker was so good he should be retired is like saying that for Batman. They're both such cash cows there is no way they would retire either.

GCM29

Nov 25, 2008
I agree with PirateKing....Ledger was excellent and it will require a lot to top his performance, but retiring such an iconic character is absurd. Wait a few movies, or until the next re-imagining of Batman.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Vanguard1219 said:
Okay, I enjoyed Ledger's performance in The Dark Knight as much as the next guy, but starting a cause to keep the character from ever being played again by another actor is downright idiotic. Their entire cause is based off of a subjective opinion, and even if it was based of fact they can't forcefully retire what is essentially an icon.
I second that.

Simriel

The Count of Monte Cristo
Dec 22, 2008
Khell_Sennet said:
My thoughts...

Retire the Joker from all future Christopher Nolan / Christian Bale "Batman" films, but not for all future movies/shows/cartoons. You honestly can't can the character, but just for the Nolan/Bale film series, he's been caught, no need to bring him back, and don't want to see them changing actors for characters. There's enough Batman universe villains to go twenty or more movies without having to bring back a villain from a previous show.
But they DO need to bring him back, the jokers thought on arkham was exactly this 'I only stay here as long as its still fun.'