Dark Knight Rises Set Photo Hints at Lazarus Pit

spielberg11

Aug 30, 2010
I'm thinking maybe this is green screen, maybe it's supposed to be a super-long pit someone falls down that they'll add in the finished film.

Or it was deliberately put on the net by Nolan to baffle us nerds.

I don't know, it seems out-of-character for the great director to make his Batman series, grounded in reality, into a cartoon world.

He NEVER uses fantastical elements in his movies, besides Inception, or that machine in 'The Prestige' that Nikola Tesla built. I'm not saying anymore in case anyone hasn't seen it, but even THAT seemed out of place from the rest of the film.

...also, 'Dark Knight Rises'? Come on, they could have done better than that.

spielberg11

Aug 30, 2010
THEoriginalBRIEN said:
UNLIKELY.
The way Nolan explained the Ghul immortality myth was by revealing that Ras constantly used another person to portray himself to the public. When that person died, he was replaced. And so on.
If this picture is legit, and it is the Lazarus pit, it will mostly likely play into Bruce Wayne's recovery after getting his shit wrecked by Bane.
If you're familiar with the "Knightfall" storyline (which I have to assume at least somewhat inspired "TDK Rises"), you know Batman's back is broken by Bane.
Bruce recovers in the Lazarus pit while the role of Batman is taken on by his apprentice, Jean-Paul Valley.
It'd be nice to see JGL play into this all somewhere...
...I feel ashamed, like I'm not a proper Batman nerd, but who or what is JGL?

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
Actual said:
That pit is on the surface, the Lazarus pit would always be hidden or someone would have noticed it.

Woodsey said:
You don't rebuild a franchise using a realist approach and then include magic pits.
Also that.

A green-screened pit could be anything. A crater from a crash or explosion, or an entrance to the bat cave.
My theory is that it will turn out to be either a landmark or an entrance to something.

spielberg11 said:
THEoriginalBRIEN said:
UNLIKELY.
The way Nolan explained the Ghul immortality myth was by revealing that Ras constantly used another person to portray himself to the public. When that person died, he was replaced. And so on.
If this picture is legit, and it is the Lazarus pit, it will mostly likely play into Bruce Wayne's recovery after getting his shit wrecked by Bane.
If you're familiar with the "Knightfall" storyline (which I have to assume at least somewhat inspired "TDK Rises"), you know Batman's back is broken by Bane.
Bruce recovers in the Lazarus pit while the role of Batman is taken on by his apprentice, Jean-Paul Valley.
I think he means Joseph Gordon-Levitt

Azrael the Cat

Dec 13, 2008
The lazarus pit, as in immortality? Not a chance, and you're a fool if you think Nolan would put it in there.

A re-imagined lazarus pit that fits the Nolanverse version of the Batman setting? Entirely possible, and certainly plausible if they are featuring a young Ra's al Ghul.

What I expect is that the Pit will operate in a similar manner to The Phantom's immortality. That is, Ra's al Ghul is a title passed on, but with various trappings and symbols used to make others believe that it's all the one ageless individual (compare with The Phantom, where the character is really a title handed down through numerous male members of the one family, so that everyone outside the family believes that The Phantom who fought the pirates in the 1700s is the same Phantom that's around in modern times). The Pit would be one of the tools that is used to create the myth of immortality - i.e. they put the old Ra's body in, and then swap it for the new one, so that everyone watching (including the foot soldiers of the League of Shadows) thinks it is the same guy.

It would match the Nolanverse practice of Ra's al Ghul's identity being hidden. It is never clarified in the film whether Ducard is al Ghul the whole time, or whether he takes over after the prior one dies, and that's probably intentional - i.e. it's a secret that only the leadership of the League of Shadows knows about. If no-one is really certain who the current Ra's al Ghul is, it's easy to make it look like it's all one guy.

That kind of take on the Lazarus Pit would be in keeping with Nolan's themes of mythology manifesting in actuality (Batman being a symbol that gives courage to the police/prosecutors instead of him rounding everyone up personally, the Scarecrow using gas to make peoples' fears 'real', the Joker as the manifestation of Chaos v Harvey Dent as the manifestation of Order, etc).

Alon Shechter

Apr 8, 2010
....And what if the pit is supposed to be filled with green stuff, and not set for CGI(Or whatever the hell else)?
Haven't thought about THAT, Have you Tom?

THEoriginalBRIEN

Aug 23, 2010
spielberg11 said:
THEoriginalBRIEN said:
UNLIKELY.
Joseph Gordon-Levitt. He plays a cop in the The Dark Knight Rises. You may recognize him from films such as Inception, (500) Days of Summer, and G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra.

ReiverCorrupter

Jun 4, 2010
deathbyoatmeal said:
i don't really have high hopes for this movie, the inclusion of bane, selina kyle, and ras al ghul seems like it may be too much. that being said, if anyone can pull it off its christopher nolan.
I'm hoping that Bane isn't a steroid junkie but a genetic supersoldier gone rogue or something like that. The idea of a guy with tubes pumping green liquid into his luchador mask ruins any semblence of realism. Plus genetic enhancement is definitely on par with the technological level of Nolan's films.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
DrunkWithPower said:
anian said:
Couldn't it be the venom for Bane?
The photo does look more like a drop of venom on a wooden deck than a aerial shot to me.
That's what i thought it was at first XP