Dark Knight Rises Shooting Leaves 12 Dead

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Dark Knight Rises Shooting Leaves 12 Dead

A 24-year-old accused gunman is in custody.

The excitement of a crowd waiting to see the finale to Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy turned to terror last night as a masked gunman tossed a tear gas container and opened fire inside a crowded theater in the city of Aurora in Denver, Colorado.

By the end of his rampage, 10 people had been killed on the spot, and 50 more would be taken to hospitals all around the Denver area to be treated for injuries, including chemical exposure from the tear gas. Two of those injured would later die from their wounds. The casualties included a four-month old baby who was released after being treated.

Police apprehended a local man armed with a rifle, handgun and knife in a nearby parking lot, and have identified the accused gunman as 24-year-old James Holmes, though no motive has yet been identified.

"The shooting apparently went on for some time," said police chief Dan Oates. The gunman attacked in the middle of an action scene in the movie, leaving witnesses confused about whether or not this was a promotional event for the film before fearing for their lives. One witness said that a shooter bearing a riot helmet and bulletproof vest had been "slowly making his way up the stairs and just firing - picking random people."

US President Barack Obama released a statement saying that he and First Lady Michelle Obama were "shocked and saddened by the horrific and tragic shooting. "As we do when confronted by moments of darkness and challenge," he added, "we must now come together as one American family."

The planned red-carpet premiere of Nolan's film in Paris has been understandably canceled at this time. Our thoughts are with the victims of those effected by this tragedy and their families.

Source: BBC [http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-18921492]

Renegade-pizza

Jul 26, 2010
Well...Fuck. That's all I can say.

"shocked and saddened by the horrific and tragic shooting ... As we do when confronted by moments of darkness and challenge, we must now come together as one American family."

And what kind of bullshit is THAT? Is he trying to be poetic or something? It was a soulless prick who decided to murder a crapload of people for attention. Just fuck.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
thanatos388 said:
Damn. I mean what the hell. Also Obama what the hell are you talking about?
Not sure, but he was supposed to speak at my cousin's campus today. It has now been cancelled.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
If I was a crazed gunman, I'd at least wait until the movie was over before shooting anyone.

Needless to say, this is a sad day for America. Just another reminder that in our world, there will never be a hero like Batman to save us from the bad guys.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
I went to a midnight premiere. Had a great time.

How someone could be THIS twisted and, well, evil is beyond me.

It's senseless and tragic when a school shooting occurs, but at least I know why the Columbine shooters did what they did and attacked who they attacked. It's horrible when an ex-employee attacks his former employers.

But these were just completely random, innocent people, including INFANTS, that never did a single solitary thing to this man and he guns them down in cold blood for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

His right to live is forfeit. I can only hope he doesn't get off on an "insanity" plea.

STENDEC1

Jul 20, 2012
Queue all the conservative Americans who'll claim that this attack is in no way a just cause for tighter gun control. Rather the opposite. After all, if everyone had guns you'd have less shootings wouldn't you?

It's times like these I'm extremely pleased to live in Australia.

Whodat

Jul 14, 2009
This is so fucked up. Scary thing is, I saw a midnight premiere here (nowhere near Colorado mind you) and the fact that someone could think it was a publicity stunt is pretty likely. The fact that people weren't able to distinguish gunshots though is slightly concerning...

My deepest condolences to the families who were affected.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
it isnt cause for tighter gun control, pro tip criminals do not give 2 shits about gun laws, unless you are going to seal every square inch of our borders, then mexico would have another massive money font as there are lots guns and drugs to sell to us in mexico.

this guy should be beaten to death, he is a sick, twisted, bastard and to have a baby die from all this just sickening.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
*waits for the 'those people' to start preaching 'this is why we need to ban guns' crap*

GoddyofAus

Aug 3, 2010
Tanis said:
*waits for the 'those people' to start preaching 'this is why we need to ban guns' crap*
It's purile and juvenile responses like this that allowed this, Columbine, Virginia Tech and every other massacre to happen in the first place.

Novaova

Feb 2, 2010
John Funk said:
The casualties included a four-month old baby who was released after being treated.
Who brings a four month-old baby to a midnight premiere of an action movie?

portal_cat

Jun 25, 2009
awaiting crazy theories about the motives on why someone would do such a horrible act like blaming the movie, video games, and the need for stricter gun control.

LostintheWick

Sep 29, 2009
Tanis said:
This is why we need to ban video games ;) (ooohhh... pulled a fast one on you, bet you didn't expect that!)

Sad thing is, I'm joking. But because the FPS genre is so common now, guns and games are superficially connected. We will see this argument in the news in some form very soon (if not already).