Dark Souls 2: Lvl 55, Still can't beat The Pursuer.

Church185

Apr 15, 2009
Realitycrash said:
Oh, so dex increases attack-speed? Did not know that. Thanks!
Please do not listen to this person, DEX does not increase attack speed...

If you are still having trouble with Persuer get your equip load below 70% so your walk/dodge speed is as fast as it will go and always dodge to the right when he attacks. The further below the 70% hard cap you are, the further your roll animation will carry you.

If you are looking for a really good early game strength weapon, the Greatsword found in No Man's Wharf is just the thing. The 2 handed R1s hit incredibly hard and really fast relative to the size of the weapon. The weapon is incredibly large though, weighing 22 units. The downside is you'll either have to wear lighter armor to move at a decent pace or pump up your VIT and fighting in tight spaces can be tricky. The upside is that this sword has incredible reach, allowing your character to dish out massive damage from relative safety. It also upgrades with easily obtainable Titanite, and the required stats to use it are only 28 STR and 10 DEX.

If you need any advice about the game feel free to PM me. I've put far more hours of my life into the Souls series than I care to admit.

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
Lotet said:
Dandark said:
When deciding armour you want to keep in mind how much it weighs, your roll changes at 25%, 50% and 70%. You generally want to stay below 70% as it butchers your roll so try equipping lighter armour and you may have more luck against the pursuer .
Actually, your roll is the same, move different distances below 70%. Above 70 is when your roll changes to a different, slower animation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP-FPz53t_0
here, a 50 second video showing 70% to 0% is only different by distance, not speed.
The latter half of the video also shows how fast stamina recovers at different weights.
Thanks for the info, changed my post to clear up that mistake.

garjian

Mar 25, 2009
Dandark said:
I don't have any fancy stats or math to back this up but for me my favourite armour early on is the falconer armour. The knight starts with it but you can also get it from the armourer in Majula. I use the leggings, gloves and torso armour but I don't wear a helmet at all.
Always remember, Fashion Souls > fancy stats.
The Imported set seems to be the only bad armour, just because it's weirdly heavy for it's stats.

llubtoille

Apr 12, 2010
I had a pain of a time against him, eventually just took of all my weapons and threw firebombs at him,
dodge to the right, throw a bomb, repeat 15-20 times
don't weigh yourself down with armor too much, but wear enough so you can survive a few hits,
Finding the roll pattern just takes time. Strafe counter-clockwise around him (to the right) and just beyond his weapon swing range, when he starts to swing, roll, then while he's regaining composure, throw a firebomb.
if you do get hit, just keep going, but chug and estus instead of throwing a bomb, pref during one of his longer animations.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
What bothers me so far is that I've killed every boss after the Pursuer on the third attempt (All the bosses in Heide's Tower, the bosses in Bastille, the Skeleton Lords and the one in No Man's Wharf), but I still haven't beaten the Pursuer as melee. Granted I haven't given it a try now for some twenty levels or so, but still. It feels like that boss is way harder (and true, it is optional) than any early or mid-game bosses.

Church185

Apr 15, 2009
Realitycrash said:
What bothers me so far is that I've killed every boss after the Pursuer on the third attempt (All the bosses in Heide's Tower, the bosses in Bastille, the Skeleton Lords and the one in No Man's Wharf), but I still haven't beaten the Pursuer as melee. Granted I haven't given it a try now for some twenty levels or so, but still. It feels like that boss is way harder (and true, it is optional) than any early or mid-game bosses.
Persuer makes a second surprise appearance in Iron Keep, and in NG+ there is a part where you have to fight two of them at the same time. Have fun with that!

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
"What r u casul? Git gud!" With this out of the way: Run to the ballista and 1-shot his ass. He loses like 90-95% of his lifepoints.
Or just summon 1 phantom that grabs his attention so you can shoot his ass with the ballista.

There's no "shame" in summoning phantoms to fight the bosses together. That's what the concept is there for.

Leaper

Jun 3, 2009
Realitycrash said:
margin for error is so ridiculously small that it becomes near impossible. Any other early game boss (Dragonslayer/Dragonrider/Giant) has no-where near as unforgiving mechanics.
Believe me, it really isn't as bad as you think it is. I had massive problems first couple of times I fought him, but you just have to learn couple of tricks and then hes really easy.

If you still having problems, I suggest you simply engage him, and just watch his moves - don't attack, just keep close to him with your shield up and watch his moves. When you feel comformatble with timings go ahead and start attacking. Really, litteraly the only thing you need to do is strafe right and do 2-3 attacks when he's in his attack animation.

Hilko Timmer

Jul 22, 2014
I finally beat him after countless times fighting him over and over again. I know he is optional, but despite of losing the fight went better each time i tried untill finally i had HP left and he not :) Believe me it is very rewarding. I did get the ring of binding though so my HP wouldn't go down to 50%. AFter beating him early game you feel up to any challenge this game might still offer.

joest01

Apr 15, 2009
Rosiv said:
Dodging in the game is affected by the Adaptability stat. The more of it you have, the more "invincibility frames" you will have. For example, if you have low adap right now a dodge might only give you 1 sec of "avoidance" for a attack, where as pumping it up higher would give you more, ( the actual stat that adaptability affects to give you the "better" dodging is Agility, for my mage, since he had light armor, i made him have it at least over 100 to get easier dodges.)

I also wouldn't bother to use a reg. shield to block unless its from weak mobs. For a boss you want a great shield with high stability, since the way poise works in the game is a bit gimping for heavy characters.
Not sure how it works with a shield. But for me it was this.

Adaptability to be able to roll with some success. And patience. Pick your shots. And don't get greedy. it helps to learn the attacks to know where to roll so that you are not to far away to get a safe swipe in.

If you can pull it off you can try and parry him and then use one of the ballista.

Also, he gets stunned by strike weapons every so often.