Dark Souls 2 Tomorrow! What's your build going to be?

What Do I Care

May 2, 2013
A tired old knight, who just wants to die in peace. Sword, spear, shield , medium armour and a little bit of faith. Nothing more nothing less.

Sordin

Aug 5, 2011
Well when April 25th rolls around I'll be doing either a bow build or a mage/dex type thing.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
Considering I eventually ended up with something of a mess of a character, it is hard to say with any certainty. I do know what I ended up favoring:

1) I am not ever willing to give up fast movement speed. I finally fit a piece of medium armor (silver knight chest armor) in my build and only then it was with the help of havel's ring. Yes, I absolute wanted to flip around like a ninja wearing plates of armor.

2) I favor speed of attack above most things which means I tend to favor dexterity swords. My favorite was the estoc but after the millionth boss battle where that weapon proved to be terrible I often swap in Quelaag's Chaos sword thingie. Any time I see an invasion, I swap a Shotel in place of my black bow as a secondary. People turtle all the time and since I don't often use hard hitting weapons nor do I wear lots of armor, trying to "wear them down" with pin-pricks gets old. Just smash through the shield.

3) I like to parry normal enemies but for bosses (who generally seem to have lots of unparrayable attacks) I use a variety of medium shields (The crest shields and the spider shield). If I'm not fighting a boss, I ended up favoring the target shield.

4) Sorcery is just...no. I'd rather shoot an arrow and be able to aim. The black bow was far more reliable for range duty than a spell that's nearly impossible to aim without being able to lock on.

5) I wear armor based largely on what I think looks neat so long as it fits into the weight limitation above. This lead to my wearing Silver Knight Armor, Eastern Gauntlets, Painting Guardian pants and a hood of some kind which provided adequate general purpose protection. I have been known to wear other armor from time to time when I specifically ran into problems.

6) Miracles are awesome but not awesome enough to be my focus.

Presumably then I'll end up a ninja-priest wearing a pastiche of my enemies clothing whipping dudes in the face with whatever pointy thing happens to be handy. Unless whips happen to not suck this time around. Then I'll just whip them with a whip.

Dansen

Master Lurker
Mar 24, 2010
Eclectic Dreck said:
Considering I eventually ended up with something of a mess of a character, it is hard to say with any certainty. I do know what I ended up favoring:

1) I am not ever willing to give up fast movement speed. I finally fit a piece of medium armor (silver knight chest armor) in my build and only then it was with the help of havel's ring. Yes, I absolute wanted to flip around like a ninja wearing plates of armor.

2) I favor speed of attack above most things which means I tend to favor dexterity swords. My favorite was the estoc but after the millionth boss battle where that weapon proved to be terrible I often swap in Quelaag's Chaos sword thingie. Any time I see an invasion, I swap a Shotel in place of my black bow as a secondary. People turtle all the time and since I don't often use hard hitting weapons nor do I wear lots of armor, trying to "wear them down" with pin-pricks gets old. Just smash through the shield.

3) I like to parry normal enemies but for bosses (who generally seem to have lots of unparrayable attacks) I use a variety of medium shields (The crest shields and the spider shield). If I'm not fighting a boss, I ended up favoring the target shield.

4) Sorcery is just...no. I'd rather shoot an arrow and be able to aim. The black bow was far more reliable for range duty than a spell that's nearly impossible to aim without being able to lock on.

5) I wear armor based largely on what I think looks neat so long as it fits into the weight limitation above. This lead to my wearing Silver Knight Armor, Eastern Gauntlets, Painting Guardian pants and a hood of some kind which provided adequate general purpose protection. I have been known to wear other armor from time to time when I specifically ran into problems.

6) Miracles are awesome but not awesome enough to be my focus.

Presumably then I'll end up a ninja-priest wearing a pastiche of my enemies clothing whipping dudes in the face with whatever pointy thing happens to be handy. Unless whips happen to not suck this time around. Then I'll just whip them with a whip.
Just so you know Im pretty sure I heard somewhere that sorceries can be manually aimed now.

The_Lost_King

Oct 7, 2011
Well first I have to finish Dark Souls 1 a couple times. Then I might think about getting DS2. If I were to choose right now I would do a similar build to the one I have now. Str/Fth build using a longsword and a shield. I love straight swords so much.

cikame said:
Intel i7, GeForce GTX 680, 16GB RAM, it's about a year old but this build still works well for me...
are you joking around or did you not read the OP?

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Eh, nothing special at first. Probably a lighter sword+shield build (lighter for teh rolling, but not thief/rogue levels;I still want to be able to take some hits), with a bit of bow on the side. Will probably get some magic if I need it somewhere down the line. You know, the basics. Won't do any insane builds until a second playthrough, I think. Get used to the systems and changes first time around. Tried to go full "armored tank" the last time around (heavy armor + huge shield + spear for range), but that didn't work so well. Lack of mobility fucking killed me, as I am never good enough at parry to make it work. :p